Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Artisan Water-Mixable Varnish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I’m not sure exactly how this forum is planned to be structured yet, so I’m just going to post this here.

Winsor & Newton has varnish that is part of its Artisan Water-Mixable line of products. I believe this is new since I hadn’t noticed it before. It’s available in Matte, Gloss, and Satin, and there’s also a varnish remover made especially for it.

I haven’t tried this out yet, but I’m definitely curious (and sceptical) about it. There’s nothing that I can see that warns against varnishing regular oils with it, nor to my reasoning should there be.

David Blaine Clemons
    ----------------
    My Website
    My Blog

halthepainter

I’ll bet the Artisan varnish is their normal varnish with a different label.

After water missible oils have dried and oxidized they are just like other oil paint and would use the same varnish.

[FONT=Fixedsys]

“Artisan Matt Varnish is a water based varnish which does not contain any hazardous solvents…” That description would not apply to their “normal” varnishes. Try mixing water with any of those and you’d have a big mess on your hands.

I haven’t found any of it yet so my verdict of it is still to come. I’m curious to see what it’s made of. I emailed off a few questions about it to W&N so we’ll see how that goes.

David Blaine Clemons
        ----------------
        My Website
        My Blog

couturej

Hi David, your post is exactly where it should be! :) I can’t wait to find out more about the varnish. The more I read the longer my art supply list is getting.:lol:

jmckelvin

I’ve never used varnish. The last time I painted was in high school and they just didn’t cover that. So I’ve never really thought about. Though now that I’m getting back into painting I keep seeing it mentioned in articles and on here.

Well, I just received an email reply from W&N (that was quick…) My questions to them were:
                [INDENT]I presume by the label these varnishes also can be thinned with water? Is there a recommended usage you can share, such as how thin should they be made, and a recommended application method? Can they be used on top of regular oils also, after those oils have properly cured? How is the Artisan Varnish Remover to be used, or more specifically, why would something other than mineral spirits or turpentine not be recommended for these varnishes? Is it okay for me to ask what these varnishes are made of, or what is it that makes them water soluble? Any other information you can offer would be welcomed.[/INDENT]

and their reply follows:
                ————
                Dear David-

Thanks for writing to us. Yes, the Artisan Varnishes may be thinned with water. Keep the amount of water less than about 25 percent of the total volume. The same suggestions as applied to traditional oil varnishes apply to the Artisan watermixable oil varnishes.

We recommend varnishing some test pieces first. You’ll get some practice time, and see whether or not you like the look of the varnish sheen. The oil color, whether traditional, or Artisan watermixable oil color, would need to be dry for 6-12 months (depending on paint film thickness) before the varnish is applied.

Two thin coats are better than one thick coat. If you want several layers of varnish but ultimately want a matte or satin sheen, build the thin layers with the Gloss, and finish with the Satin or Matte varnish. This keeps the matting agents in the Satin and Matte varnishes from looking cloudy or hazy, when applied too thickly. Be sure to shake or gently stir the Satin and Matte varnishes before use.

The varnishes may be spray applied with an airbrush, wearing proper respiratory equipment, in a well ventillated area. This application is nice if your work is large scale and/or textured. The varnishes may also be brush applied. A densely packed, synthetic filament brush is a good choice. Our Monarch Glazing brush works nicely:
                GLAZING BRUSH – Short Handle

Allow each varnish layer to dry before a new layer is applied (3 hours or more between layers).

The Artisan Varnishes may be applied to traditional oils as well, per the 6-12 month drying time as already mentioned. The formulations for the Artisan Varnishes are proprietary, and as such, even I’m not able to see the ‘ingredient list.’ So, I don’t know what makes the varnishes watersoluble. The main point of the Artisan oil line is to offer a toxic-solvent-free oil painting experience. Therefore, a varnish remover was developed that is solvent free. I don’t know whether or not turpentine or mineral spirits will safely remove the Artisan Varnishes.

The Artisan Varnish Remover is used just like turpentine or mineral spirits would be for traditional oil varnishes. A soft, lint free rag is used to wipe on the varnish remover. Once you see a faint residue of oil color on the rag, the varnish in that area has been completely removed. Avoid heavy pressure or abrasion of the surface during removal.

I’ll share your email with the other Technical Advisors, and if they have any other details to share, I’ll pass them on to you. I’ve also attached an article all about the Artisan Oil series that I trust you’ll find valuable. Thanks for your interest in our art materials.

Kind regards,

Marla Morrison
                Technical Advisor
                ———————

The attachment she included was the same general information about Artisan that they have on their website.

I’m pleased at her prompt reply. Everything stated sounds like good advice. I’m particularly glad to hear that they can be safely used on any type of oil paint, since I often mix my oil types, which makes me more eager to get some and try it out.

If I get anything further from them I’ll pass it on.

David Blaine Clemons
                ----------------
                My Website
                My Blog

tali

I’ve used this varnish (the glossy) and it’s amazing!! I use it on the traditional oils too. I doubt that it’s the same formulation as their regular varnish, since it is completely water soluble. To make a retouch varnish, I just mix equal parts varnish to equal part Artisan thinner. The first bonus to the varnish is that it can be air shipped which is important to me since I don’t always have access to this stuff locally. While it does have a scent to it, it isn’t overpowering. I suspect (from the smell)that the varnish is alcohol based. It dries in about a half of an hour or even less. It isnt’ sticky like Damar varnish can be. I haven’t ever tried to remove it with the varnish remover, but once I got some dust into the intial “retouch” layer which I was able to remove cleanly without any paint comming up. All I did was rebrush the varnish (this was after about three months of the painting hanging) and the layer underneath instantly re-opened. I was able to wipe off the dust, then immediatly brushed in more varnish.

couturej

Thank you David! That is great information! Added it to my art supply list. :)

That’s great info. Thanks David for contacting W/N. I haven’t seen this varnish in any of my art supply stores yet. I’ll have to ask about it.

Just FYI, in my experience with varnishes (acrylic painting) I was taught never to shake the bottle. Stir with a coffee stirrer or something thin and stiff. Shaking will cause air bubbles which will be trapped in the varnish upon application.

Anyone want to talk about when to use Matte, Satin and Glossy? I usually use glossy on dark paintings. Satin on all the rest. Any pros and cons to the different types?

And Tali, what exactly is the difference between regular and retouch varnish (that is my dummy question lol.)

halthepainter

And Tali, what exactly is the difference between regular and retouch varnish (that is my dummy question lol.)

Tali may have a different answer since she makes her own retouch varnish but I’ve read and been advised that retouch varnish wiil allow your oil painting to continue to oxidize and cure while regular varnish completely seals the surface and stops the curing process. That is why you wait such a long time before a final varnish where as retouch varnish can be used the next day to firm up your paint so you can repaint sections without the under layer of paint coming up through the new layer of paint you’re trying to put down.

I have no knowledge as to how retouch varnish and the regular varnish differ in formulation. I just buy the two different bottles and use appropriately.

[FONT=Fixedsys]

A retouch is typically a final varnish that has an equal amount of solvent added to it (50/50,) for example for DAMAR retouch varnish add another cup of turpentine to 1 cup final damar varnish. In this case, according to the technical advisor Marla’s comments above, that would be too much solvent. Instead you should not add no more than 25% water by volume to this water-miscble varnish. I don’t know for sure if the thinner they make is an appropriate substitute as tali is using it – possibly.

Bliss, even for matte paintings, I’ll start as Marla recommends and begin with a thin layer or two of gloss first. For paintings that have more darks in them, I’ll leave them more satin or glossy, since matte dulls them down too noticeably. This is true for any type varnish, water-miscible or otherwise.

David Blaine Clemons
                            ----------------
                            My Website
                            My Blog

Thanks David. Those are great guidelines.

Lust for life

I have been using this varnish for years. I love this stuff! I mix 50 percent satin with 50 percent gloss to make a semi-gloss. Besides using this on oil paintings, I have also used this varnish on acrylic paintings with great success, just make sure you apply an acrylic isolation coat before varnishing.

MrsSellers

I’m curious. Can it be used in a medium like a conventional varnish?

Lust for life

I doubt it, and I certainly wouldn’t try it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Artisan Water-Mixable Varnish’ is closed to new replies.