Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Selling your art in Restaurants – Wallspace Exchange

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    humble

Has anybody heard of Wallspace Exchange? A website where artists can place their artwork in Restaurants, Hotels, Bars, Salons and Cafes to try and sell their artwork.

http://www.wallspaceexchange.com

Use Her Name

Seems like another middleman to take a share of the cut.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

I have a problem with the benefit to the restaurant is getting a commission. NO. The benefit to the restaurant is FREE ART for their walls. I’ve grown extremely tired of this. Some of my agents used to place work in restaurants and show homes and such… the idea being it’s on show, the “right” clientelle come to those places, more exposure, could sell.

Free art for the restaurant – so no interior design cost for that. Artist doesn’t get paid. The clientelle are there to eat. I asked about rental instead and one agent actually said to me that for the small fee (it was 5% of value a month I think, which me and agent would split) it was hardly worth the paperwork. Of course they had 7 of my paintings placed somewhere which would have added up to £50/month. To ME that is worthwhile, because I need to buy food.

On top of that the 2 that were in a restaurant came back so dirty and surface damaged that the varnish will need to be removed and replaced. For “free exposure” I shouldn’t have to do repair work.

Nope. No more.

My advice is if you want to show in these venues, and it can work sometimes, is to find local venues and just go in and discuss the idea with them. You want a venue that is going to actively take part in selling the work, unless you’re happy doing that yourself and have a plan for it. I can’t see a service like that site being any more effective than just meeting people in your community.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

Places I go these days, all the public wants is a print of my work, not originals.

Alison1234

I have been wondering the same thing lately. There are a lot of local businesses that have local artwork on their walls for sale.

I often wonder how this works? Does the business get a cut or not? It seems like they shouldn’t because they are getting their business decorated for free. Seems like a “I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine” type of situation that is beneficial to both parties.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this? I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks, Alison

abstrart

Where I live it’s common to have places hang artists things and sell it. From my experiences it’s pretty much random, some places will want a commission for selling the art, and other places won’t want a commission.

Katie Black

I have been wondering the same thing lately. There are a lot of local businesses that have local artwork on their walls for sale.

I often wonder how this works? Does the business get a cut or not? It seems like they shouldn’t because they are getting their business decorated for free. Seems like a “I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine” type of situation that is beneficial to both parties.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this? I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks, Alison

I agree with Tina, my experience of this is not good either! You spend a few hours carefully wrapping up your artwork, carefully loading it into your car, and head off to the bar/restaurant, to then spend a few more hours placing them in just the right place.

After doing all this, you never hear another thing, until they contact you to say they are moving premises, and could you come and collect your artwork.

When you arrive to collect your paintings, they tell you how much their customers had enjoyed viewing your artwork (for free!)You then start the arduous task of re-wrapping all your valuable work, however give up halfway through the process, when you realise all the paintings look like crap, covered with fingerprints, and god knows what else!:eek:

You then spend the next week cleaning them, repainting parts of them, and re-varnishing them :mad: It’s a totally thankless task, and the only people that benefit, are the owners of the outlet as they are providing an additional benefit to their customers (free!), and the people who are eating or drinking there, who can view your work for free, as they happily fill their faces, and whom have no intention whatsoever, of buying one of your paintings.

If people want to buy art, they will generally visit a place that sells art, when they visit a bar or restaurant, they are there to buy food and drinks, not paintings.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Matt Crunk

I’d like to put in my two cents on this: As an artist I have never displayed or sold any work in a restaurant. But I have purchased another artist’s work off the wall of one. I happen to know that same artist has sold many pieces that way.

I agree however, that a restaurant should not charge a commission. Having free art decorating their walls should be payment enough.

Greg Long

I sold this way previously (I won’t say how long ago ;) ) the trick is to let the staff know there is a nice commission for them on any sold off the wall. They are your salespeople, not the owner, and if they can earn a whole nights tips for five minutes selling your art to an interested customer they will. If there is nothing in it for them, they won’t make extra work for themselves.
                                When I first left art college I ran a bar to pay off college loans, I sold about one painting a week while there, mainly because I could sell to interested clients. If I (or someone else) wasn’t there to sell the work customers would never buy them, potential buyers need engagement to open thier wallets.

rltromble

From the website:

Artists, Businesses, Photographers, Charities and Sculptors are welcome to join. Business Membership is FREE. Artists and Art Buyer memberships are only $5 per month. Artists and Businesses can upgrade to a Premium Membership for more exposure which is $10 per month. Art Brokers can sign up for a $10 monthly membership.

So you pay $5 a month for this service, is it worth it? Well lets look at the member search. 183 Records Found, now searching for just artist you get 183 Records Found…two are Premium Member artists… do any other search and you get no records back. So artist are giving them $925 a month and not a single company is a member.:rolleyes:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Greg Long

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I’ve just read their blurb… bargepole springs to mind. You pay the business to decorate their walls and give them 40% commission after paying wallspace a membership fee too. I think it makes a vanity gallery look honest. In their case studdies everyone is making a fortune with sales… they have forgotton the one where it says no sales, the artist is out $200 they have paid the business to hang the work, the cost of delivering the work, the cost of collecting the work and the cost of the membership fees…

There is one major rule as an artist, if you see the word exposure anywhere, run like hell.:wave:

Greg Long

further reading

That issue should be addressed before the paintings are placed in the business. The artist can get insurance on the paintings or the business can cover them under their property insurance if needed. Usually paintings are on a consignment basis and the business is not responsible for any damage or theft. There are several insurance brokers who will insure Fine Art for the business or artist for liability, damage or theft of the paintings.

so you also have the costs of insurance…

16. I am a Member and tried to login but it said my account was deleted?

If your account is not active in the last 60 days or you do not place any images in your Photo Gallery then you are subject to being deleted. You must be pro-active with your account. A lot of people join and never log back in this wastes storage space and money.

….it mentions nothing about the fact they still have your direct debit payments until you actually cancel them though, even though your account may deleted. see…

2. How much does it cost to join?

Artists, Businesses, Photographers, Sculptors and Charity Organizations are welcome to join. Business Membership is FREE. Artists and Art Buyers Membership are only $5 per month. Art Broker Membership is $10 a month. Artists and Businesses can upgrade to a Premium Membership for $10 a month. [B][I][COLOR=”DarkRed]Membership automatically renews on the 1st of each month until cancelled. [/COLOR][/I][/B]

I wonder how many of the 183 artists realise they are still paying $5 a month?

Davkin

Whenever I see “opportunities” like this that try to bilk money from “emerging” artists with promise of “exposure” I have to wonder why? Isn’t that a bit like trying to get blood from a stone? Really, the effort vs potential reward has got to make it one of the least profitable scams out there.

David

David

Greg Long

Whenever I see “opportunities” like this that try to bilk money from “emerging” artists with promise of “exposure” I have to wonder why? Isn’t that a bit like trying to get blood from a stone? Really, the effort vs potential reward has got to make it one of the least profitable scams out there.

David

Sadly it is not. Many people spend money seeking short-cuts to profitability as an artist. The first thing many “new” pensioners or newly unemployed people do is become an artist to earn money…. I can paint right? I can sell art to earn money…..these have money to invest in their business. The above group are getting over €900 a month just in their $5 charges to the artists who are members. That’s over $10,800 a year, for what outlay? about $150 or less that’s over $10,000 a year for a weeks work. That is profit in my book.

humble

From the website:

So you pay $5 a month for this service, is it worth it? Well lets look at the member search. 183 Records Found, now searching for just artist you get 183 Records Found…two are Premium Member artists… do any other search and you get no records back. So artist are giving them $925 a month and not a single company is a member.:rolleyes:

They don’t show the list of Businesses in their Member Search to the public you must be a Member. I asked them the number of Business Members they have and they currently have 206 Businesses, which are mainly Restaurants. To pay $5 a month to get over 200 leads and growing is not a bad deal. $5 is a Starbucks coffee.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Selling your art in Restaurants – Wallspace Exchange’ is closed to new replies.