WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States
Portugese Pt. Mar 2

I would never make it on a PA paint out. I have to vist and area many times to start to know how to paint it. Portugese Beach is my latest venture, right on the point where the waves come in at several directions, there are lots of rocks and the water roils and plunges.

This is much simplified, and still very complicated, here is what I think I managed well, the movement of water, the warm cool and soft hard edges.

What I have not got at least IMO. is the warm glow of light. The sky is a bit over saturated,( hard to see what I'm painting in this low light just after the sun sets to the far right. and I don't have the warm tinge to the upper foam. I cant paint it on alla prima its too pastel, and it seems like a solution might be to have a warm wash underpaiting that I leave showing

website/blog

Last edited by winecountry : 03-03-2012 at 03:31 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM
A WC! Legend
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Portugese Pt. Mar 2

Hi Colleen, it's good to see you're still doing ocean paintings! This one is really nice with a good sense of the time of day. I like the light on the rocks too.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

Very good work on the evening at the rocks Colleen, someday i must try the ocean, you do the waves so well, i spent a good bit of time yesterday observing a small creek without pulling a brush out, i feel very clueless on the moving water so for now i'll enjoy your works, thanks greg
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
East Kent

Hails from United Kingdom

Good atmosphere!
Michael Richardson's oils and watercolours and Michael's Blog and painting holidays
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

thanks Donna, I'm just about to start my first big studio painting of the sea, wish me luck.

Greg, moving water is something you have to find your own way with, and know that you are only going to be representing it somehow, it can't really be painted as is, and the more detail you put in the less it will seem moving.

Thanks Michael

website/blog
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
A Local Legend
Bavarian

Hails from Germany

Die Farbwahl und damit die Stimmung
Ihrer Küstenbilder ist fantastisch!
Ernst

Meine Seiten - My website ··· ernstg.blog.de/
Malen ist nicht alles im Leben - aber ohne Malen ist alles nichts!
Painting is not everything in life - but without painting everything is nothing!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

thank you Ernst. I got it translated except for Kustenbinder which came out ass some sort of spot.
there has been some contoversy over that bright orange sky, I paint my PA for information not sale. So I put in what I see, that doesn't mean I'd paint a big work that way...but I like having what I saw of the color. even if to some it is too bright or taking over.

website/blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 AM
A Local Legend
Co Wexford, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

I think the water is well painted, Colleen. You've learnt to get the right balance of hardness and softness to depict motion. Regarding the sky, I think you should consider the concept of "harmony". A lot of artists feel that toning the canvas an appropriate colour, and then letting that show through here and there is necessary to achieve "harmony" and there is some truth in that. But if you think about it, nature is always in harmony. For example, none of us ever looked at a beautiful sunset and said "nice, but I think that sky is too orange relative to the colour of the sea"! So it follows that, if a painting lacks harmony, it is most likely an error of observation by the artist. My guess, Colleen, is that the water could do with a little more orangey-white and that some of the cooler sea colours should be in the sky (very subtle), in the part furthest away from where the sun has set.

Michael

My Website www.michaelmcguireart.com My Blog http://www.michaelmcguireart.blogspot.com
C&C welcome
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
The City that never sleeps.

Hails from Germany

hehe, those translators are funny what Ernst meant was coastal paintings (Küstenbilder). I agree with him - you create an atmosphere that is so believable. My mind can easily wander to such a beautiful place whenever I'm looking at your paintings. What I agree with is the warm glow of light, which could show more in the water. But a beautiful painting anyway!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Idaho

Hails from France

Great job ! I really like the small touches of oranges on the rocks.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks Antoin

Michael and Mausetiger, I completely agree with the comments on the orange, what I could not do out there in the 20 min or so this light lasts is to figure out how to get the warm oranges into the wet paint, so I decided to let it dry and add it later, I'll post that one too, I realize this is not PA gospel. I have noticed I like to paint my PA for information, not for sale or "good" painting. perhaps as I grow I will be more like some here who make the PA the painting.

For me right now that is too hard, and too big a burden to carry outside for the tricky light I'm after. When I solve a few more problems and get the hang of composing better out there, understand the color mixtures for the time of light, then maybe I can do more like the "big boys" what I treasure about this one is in a sense the "note taking" it has so much info in it that I can use for the studio piece. In that one I've eliminated the sky altogether, so the problem is solved

website/blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

Colleen,

I was reading the comments and I liked what you said about "note taking". I think this is an important point to make because I think where a lot of beginners go awry is with the preconceived notion of making a finished painting on location. The fact of the matter is most outdoor paintings are sketches, or note taking. Not that a finished painting can't result from painting outdoors, but one has to go with the objective of trying to get as much information of a scene as possible and not get caught up in the details. To view it as training can free one to take risks, pursue the colors and the essence of a scene without worrying about failing, because often times we do. If a good painting results, that's great, but much of this is training to better see our environment and be better prepared when we decide to take a statement to a more completed work.

This is a good painting. And if it gives you the information you need to make a studio painting, then it is a success in many regards.

Randy
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks Randy, in the current craze for PA this notetaking thing gets buried sometimes. In my reading of the old master seascape artists, some of them would never sell a PA and kept them good and bad for the information they held. Since the seaside is even more changeable than the landscape I find that when faced with a choice of salable painting or information I tend to the information side of things at least at the moment

website/blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Wow: There are some marvelous colors and movement in this.
Terrific.

Derek
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Thank you Derek,
I'm hoping to get them into the studio work..it is so beautiful out there at dusk turned away from the flashy sunset at the horizon and looking 90 degrees off to the left, all the color, but so much more subtle.

website/blog