Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Art Supply Addicts Anonymous 2010!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,171 total)
  • Author
    robertsloan2

Here’s the place to post about those cool new oil pastels, colored pencils, hideously expensive tube of oil paint, new lamp, anything cool you just bought for your art. Also numerous useful materials discussions and photos of your latest haul!

Here’s the link to the old thread: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545429 where you can find over a thousand posts on art supplies and that incredible addiction.

Hint: we’re not actually trying to recover, though it helps a lot being able to read about others’ supplies at times when my budget won’t let me get something new. Certainly helps me windowshop and plan my next spree!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Barbara WC

To start off my new year, just last week I ordered some watercolor postcards, 4″x6″ Hahnemuhle Postcards from Daniel Smith.

Not cheap, but they come in a beautiful tin. I think I’m addicted to tins. I’ve gotten inexpensive pencils in tins before, removed the pencils and gave them to someone else, then use the tin for better pencils. Is anyone else addicted to tins? I can’t say that my addiction goes beyond tins though, I don’t care for wood box sets.

Anyway, this was a “not neccessary” purchase, but I am inspired by one artist at the community college who for the past few years has painted one postcard a day. This tin has 30 cards, hopefully I’ll do those in a year! At any rate, the big selling point was the tin. :)

Barbara

Pat Isaac

Thanks, Robert for starting the 2010 version with a link to the last one.
                2 weeks ago I purchased 24 6″ x 6″ hardboards with the intent of doing 2 small paintings a week. Well, I have done one per week so far, not bad for me. I can’t do one in a day, but I am not at the studio every day. I am now chomping at the bit to replenish some supplies, but am waiting a bit to try and get all I need in one haul. I am going to get some more Caran D’ache neopastels. Really like them for some things.
                Have fun with the cards, Barbara….a tin fetish…..:rolleyes:

pat

Peiwend

Congratulations, Robert, on filling a successful first thread and starting a new one!

I haven’t posted in the old one because, for me as a working artist, art supplies are tax deductible whereas addictions are not. For any tax auditors, who might be reading, I dutifully order only the necessary supplies and very seriously open the boxes when they arrive. However, reading the posts as well as sharing in the anticipation and excitement of others is quite enjoyable.

_________________________________Wendell

Lyta

To start off my new year, just last week I ordered some watercolor postcards, 4″x6″ Hahnemuhle Postcards from Daniel Smith.

Not cheap, but they come in a beautiful tin. I think I’m addicted to tins. I’ve gotten inexpensive pencils in tins before, removed the pencils and gave them to someone else, then use the tin for better pencils. Is anyone else addicted to tins? I can’t say that my addiction goes beyond tins though, I don’t care for wood box sets.

Anyway, this was a “not neccessary” purchase, but I am inspired by one artist at the community college who for the past few years has painted one postcard a day. This tin has 30 cards, hopefully I’ll do those in a year! At any rate, the big selling point was the tin. :)

Barbara

Hm, I don’t like these postcards – I have a tin too… But that’s probably a matter of taste, so I hope you’ll have fun!

Tin addiction? :eek: I have a different problem… There are always too many tins and I can’t throw them away. :( I try not to buy things in tins anymore unless I’m absolutely sure I want the tin, or if there’s just no other option.

:cat:

robertsloan2

Barbara, that sounds so neat! I have had watercolor postcards and liked them, actually used up a couple of pads of them. But never got them in a nice tin. I think I’d probably buy them for the tin too, since I could refill the tin by cutting down watercolor paper of choice to that size repeatedly. Or even use it to hold 4″ x 6″ pieces of other good papers and turn it into an assortment tin.

I might have to look into that, hope they still have it when I get past my current necessary-yet-wonderful expense.

Pat, good idea stacking things up for a big order and getting free shipping plus usually a bigger coupon. Yay for more Neopastels. I love those too, they have such a perfect texture sometimes.

Wendell, I don’t think the tax auditors actually care that you enjoy purchasing the necessary supplies to do your work, only that they’re actually something you use to work with. IE sell art done with them. It’s probably a matter of saving receipts and being able to show them paintings done with the stuff if they audit you. Which would be a nightmare for anyone anyway.

Lyta, if you don’t like your tin of postcards maybe we could swap for them, if you want some pieces of PastelMat to play with or something else I’ve got lots of and could spare. I could really use the tin and like working that size. I hear you in general about tins though, since I keep migrating colored pencils sets out of their tins into leather jackets and other types of elastic band cases. I’ve got a stack of empty colored pencils tins but also use some of them to stash pencils that came in cheap cardboard boxes.

This month I am buying art supplies after all! Considering that digital art is still art and fixing photos and scans of art is something to do with art, I think a new laptop (refurbished) is art supplies, especially one that’s really good for doing graphics. I lucked on it because they still had some by the time we ordered this morning, there was a limited supply on the HP Pavilion refurb one.

It’s got a lot of bells and whistles that’ll make video editing a lot easier and less likely to run the CPU down to destruction. Four times the RAM, a much faster dual core processor, bigger hard drive, even a bay to put in an extra hard drive if I cannibalize the still good one out of my old laptop. It’s got a 17″ screen.

I got to play on a 17″ screen MacBook back in 2002 and was impressed at how great it was for being able to spread out everything in multiple windows and see everything I was doing while multitasking. That way I could have a photo reference up and a notan of it and photos of previous stages all at the same time in Gimp and not overlapping the browser… it’ll be a lot of fun. Also images will be bigger and easier to see.

It’ll be trippy getting used to the larger keyboard but I don’t think I’ll get everything in one machine ever. They scaled the keyboard to the size of machine and it’s got a number pad on the side. So Ari can go back to using the number pad for Kitty Kode when he’s typing into my posts or my journal. I think he’ll appreciate the larger keys, he has trouble getting too many keys per paw when he types on this one.

I’m also seriously considering getting a Wacom Bamboo Fun set for it once it’s paid up, it wouldn’t cost that much to add it. I’ve never tried digital art with something pen shaped but think it’d work a lot better than what I’ve done till now with a mouse. Has anyone ever tried that little Wacom thing?

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

Lyta

Yay for the new compy! I hope Ari likes it. :cat:

[B]Lyta,[/B] if you don’t like your tin of postcards maybe we could swap for them, if you want some pieces of PastelMat to play with or something else I’ve got lots of and could spare. I could really use the tin and like working that size.

Robert, I’ve used up almost all the postcards already, that’s hardly worth the postage (remember we’re sitting on different comtinents); as for the tin, I have no clue where it even is! :lol: :wink2: I think I used it for op when I was on holidays, but that’s the last known location. :rolleyes: Sorry…

Funny you should mention Pastelmat – I’m going to order a little pad of Pastelmat along with some oil based and dry (pastel) sketching pencils, Cretacolor makes both types in what I hope are matching colours. That’s going to be a very small order – just the pad and some 7 or 8 pencils. I may feel an urge to throw in a couple of Prismas, but truth be told, I do not need any more cp for a long time to come. :lol:

No op with this order though, wrong store.

Scattykat

Hm, I don’t like these postcards – I have a tin too… But that’s probably a matter of taste, so I hope you’ll have fun!

Tin addiction? :eek: I have a different problem… There are always too many tins and I can’t throw them away. :( I try not to buy things in tins anymore unless I’m absolutely sure I want the tin, or if there’s just no other option.

me too, got some of these cos I fell foul of the tin, but don’t much care for the postcards. The tin tho has turned out to be a useful size for carrying around a small w&n watercolor paintbox and some atc size pieces of wc paper.

I’ve just ordered some large format tinted paper and conte pastels for my figure drawing, also ordered some more ops, Jaxons, some tube wc’s and a new wc brush. I get them delivered to a friend in uk, and they bring them with them when they come over, about 5 times a year. they say the package is there already, and I’m quite impatient to get my fidgety puds on it in a couple of weeks time.

Well done for starting the 2010 ‘cool goodies’ thread Robert, it’s fun reading everyone elses addictions, make me feel less guilty about my own :D

Scatty ....
                                    ..................all things come to those who dreamzzzzzzz...[/COLOR]

robertsloan2

Lyta, true, you’ve got a point about the postage and all. Hope you find the tin though, you can always cut down paper that you like to that size and use it again. Cool that you’re trying PastelMat. I love the Cretacolor pastel pencils on it.

I don’t know where you’re getting them but they’re cheaper by the set in the US. The pastel pencils on the PastelMat are so great, that’s what I did this year’s Christmas presents with. I still have to try the paper with oil pastels, that’ll be fun.

Kat, that sounds great! Conte pastels rock whether it’s those traditional colors or the brilliant colors. Perfect for figure sketching and a lot more. What are Jaxons? Tube watercolors and new brush sounds fun. I’ll bet you’re excited waiting for the package, that sounds so cool!

Lyta

[B]Lyta,[/B] true, you’ve got a point about the postage and all. Hope you find the tin though, you can always cut down paper that you like to that size and use it again. Cool that you’re trying PastelMat. I love the Cretacolor pastel pencils on it.

I don’t know where you’re getting them but they’re cheaper by the set in the US. The pastel pencils on the PastelMat are so great, that’s what I did this year’s Christmas presents with. I still have to try the paper with oil pastels, that’ll be fun.

Paper? Hardly. If I find it, it’ll be smeared with op since that’s what I last kept in it. :wink2:

I’m not getting any Cretacolor pastel pencils, but the monochrome ones that only come in black (charcoal, black pastel, or Nero if they’re oil based), white, sepia and sanguine. I already have the oil-based version of the sanguine one, and it’s wonderful! So soft and a slightly muted shade of sanguine. I have some Neros too. These aren’t actually necessarily intended for use with the PastelMat though. But I have a set of Faber-Castell pastel pencils that I can play with on the PastelMat!

Kat, I hope you’ll like your Jaxons, but if you’ve never tried them, be warned that they were the ones that almost threw me off op. :crying: I find them hard and crumbly… Very much like the Faber-Castell ones.

I apologize, I have no idea what got into me to start talking badly about everyone else’s purchases! :eek: Ignore me. :o

truck driver

Theres nothing that in the IRS code that says you cant enjoy your work. I enjoy opening boxes, filled with computer parts and putting them all together as well. I most certainly have made some real money building computers, installing operating systems on them and configuring them to do different things. The fact that I get a kick out of ordering the stuff, and getting the stuff and playing with all the goodies is just a bonus. Its the same thing with Art Materials.

RG

Peiwend

RG, please don’t take my facetious remarks in Post #4 about tax auditors seriously. It was in reference to the title of the thread and the Canadian tax system.

__________________________Wendell

robertsloan2

LOL sorry Wendell! Right… good joke about the tax system. I just didn’t get it because I was floating somewhere around the pain haze.

Excellent use for the tin, Lyta. Makes sense to me!

RG, yeah, I know that feeling. I get it whenever I get an ink cartridge or a ream of printer paper even, it’s just so cool that it’s new and it’s for my writing and I know I’ll put it to good use. New computer of course is like above and beyond in that regard… especially when I have a perfectly good career-based reason to get one that’s set up as an entertainment machine. Everything that makes it good for gaming also makes it really good for doing art instruction videos.

hal_s

Just ordered my first set of oil pastels, the Sennelier 48 color set. I hope I didn’t waste $85 on something I won’t be able to figure out how to use (like that set of colored pencils I bought years ago–waste of money that was).

robertsloan2

Hal, that’s the set I bought! It’s very good. Probably you won’t have a problem using them. They’re like painting with lipstick and that set has a nice combination of opaque and transparent and translucent colors so you’re not stuck with too many transparents. Senneliers are the softest of the artist grade brands, they border on paint.

Getting used to their unique texture is fun. One other cool thing they do is that because there are some siccative (drying) oils in them, if it gets to where you can’t add any more colors without it getting muddy, let it set up overnight or for a couple of days. It’ll dry out a bit and harden and you can add more over what you’ve got. They still don’t dry completely but they set up better than anything else.

Colored pencils take a lot of time and patience. I use them a lot, so I can definitely say that while you can get gorgeous effects, they take a lot of patience to do them well. Oil pastels are fast and loose compared to them, so you can do very bold things easily with them. Senneliers are the least crumbly too because of their paintlike texture.

And if you really, really don’t like them you can always get some of your money back selling them off in the Swap Shop. Keep your colored pencils till you know how you like to use oil pastels though, since colored pencils are good for details and edging up on oil pastels paintings, especially if they’re one of the oil based brands like Polychromos, Walnut Hollow or Lyra Rembrandt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 2,171 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.