Home Forums The Learning Center Computers and Technology for Artists Buying a color, laser copierscanner

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Julian Jaymes

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a moderate range (like “home office” or “small business” level printer/scanner/copier. I have a special day coming up and my special person has offered (with quite a generous budget, too) to buy me a printer/scanner “all in one” machine. So we are looking around for what all-in-one to buy me. We’d really like to stay under $800 (hopefully including toner…) but anything up to that is okay.

I make comics and zines at home, mostly in black and white, but I also paint and draw in color, so I’d like to be able to make prints (and color covers for my home publications). Large format is not a necessity (or even an option – I live in a fairly small apartment and don’t have room for a giant printer).

The one I’m most looking at right now is the Canon Color imageCLASS series, especially the MF632Cdw. (Here’s a link to the specs on CNET: https://www.cnet.com/products/canon-imageclass-mf632cdw-multifunction-printer-color/specs/ )

I realize that this is a VERY big investment, and especially since I’m not spending my own money, I want to make sure I get the right thing. I’m not asking for someone to do all my research, but I AM looking for suggestions and general advice.

So: for printing both black-and-white and color comics and prints and zines and such, what printer/all-in-one would you recommend with a budget of $500-$800 USD? Alternately, what features do you recommend looking for? What models/issues should I be aware of or avoid?

Let me know if I’ve forgotten anything or if you need clarification…and thank you so, so much in advance for any help you can offer. I’ve never bought a printer before and I want to do this right so that my partner’s money isn’t wasted.

Thanks,
        Julian

Comic artist, illustrator, watercolor newbie, art supply junkie.

Art blog: http://julianjaymes.com
        Read my comic online!: http://julianjaymes.com/sidelines

sandman_us

Hi Julian,

The MF632Cdw looks like a nice printer and does have some nice reviews. A little heavy for a printer (48 lbs.), but apparently it has excellent image quality.

The one thing I mention to anyone who is about to buy a new printer is to look at the cost of the ink, and this Canon is quite pricey in the ink department. This printer will require a total of 4 ink cartridges (black, cyan, yellow, and magenta) with each at around $110 for a high-yield output of about 2200 pages per cartridge. Also, as I’m sure you’re aware, there is no fax capability with this.

You might want to take a look at this review by PC Magazine on MF634Cdw model. They also discuss another product option, Dell’s Color Smart Multifunction Printer S3845cdn. Although the ink cartridges are also very pricey, you do get 9000 to 11000 pages per cartridge making the running costs more reasonable.

Best Wishes!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.