Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Sunset

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anne58

Hi All,

Well, this one sure looks better in real life. All the little white areas don’t seem to show up as well as they do in the photograph. It’s probably not my best colour piece, but I suppose practice makes perfect and we have to suffer the goods ones with the not so good ones.

Any comments appreciated.

Anne

frida

What a dreamy landscape! :thumbsup:

What paper did you use, Anne? And pencils?

If by any chance you scan instead of photographing, it helps to place a piece of acetate on the scanner glass plate. Somehow it helps with CP…

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Anne58

Thanks Frida.

I’m using Canson drawing paper, 70lb, smooth surface. The pencils are Faber Castel polychromos.

I’ll have to try doing a scan. I haven’t had much luck with my graphite ones so never thought to try with the colour.

Anne

ocmd123

Very nice. I’m a sucker for sunsets and sunrises. :)

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                    Instagram

Save

Dcam
                        Pingpongfan

I like the backlit trees. They look really good. Is this from your own reference pic?
                            Vena

KarenESP

Good colors and sun glare looks real… nicely distributed into the sky and ground.

KaySilver

Lovely atmospheric piece – you’ve captured the glow nicely.

Anne58

Thank you all for you comments, they really do help. The reference was one of my own taken on a trip to South Africa. We had some beautiful sunsets while there.

Anne

flyflutterart

My goodness this is amazing. If this isn’t one of your better pieces, I’m nervous to see a “better” one. This one is awesome!

victorvector

You are very critical of your work.

It`s probably a lot better than you may think.

Nice color and good value scale .

I tend to stay away from sunsets , as I know my limitations .

The silhouette is great , and really adds to the composition .

The setting sun is placed really well , just off centre.

This is a nice piece , and one of the most difficult of subjects .

Goodcatbadcat

I think it’s absolutely lovely and totally captures the ambience of a sunset. I love the intense glow of the sun dipping below the horizon and I think the off centered focal point lends it an organic, realistic quality.

Are you using an iPhone to take photos? They can actually pick up sun damage on skin that isn’t perceptible to the naked eye when photographing human subjects. I forget what the technology is called that makes that possible but I don’t believe it has anything to do with the resolution. Dont quote me on the logistics but I ran across several articles about it after wondering why the camera was one of the worst things to ever happen to faces. That’s how unflattering and merciless the iPhone camera can be, so it’s no wonder it picks up on paper grain that may go completely unnoticed in person. You might simply try a different camera app. I know lots of people who rely on other photo apps for that very reason.

“I'm drawing a picture in my mind of what's on your mind. I'm a little confused in my mind, but your mind is coming in clear as hell." - John Altoon

Eugenia

Is it for sale? It’s lovely.

Anne58

Thank you all again for you comments on my work. I talk all my photos with a Canon Elph digital camera.

Unfortunately I do not sell any of my originals but I do have some of my artwork uploaded for purchase at the sites listed below. Slowly I’m getting them uploaded as I manage to get good reproductions of the originals.

https://pixels.com/art/anne+gregory

http://gotartwork.com/Profile/anne-gregory-/17249/

huanghehe

You captured a very beautiful moment!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.