Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Prefer soft or hard brayer?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    morningmuse

Hi there! I’m new here, excited to get back into my block printing, which I haven’t had much of a chance to do since my kiddos were born.

Anyway, I was just wondering, for lino carving, do you prefer a hard or soft brayer and why?

I’m not really sure which I prefer. It seems like the soft brayer gets ink more into the small etchings, so it would be better for bigger plates where the gouges don’t show. Whereas the hard brayer would be better for plates where the gouges are closer to the surface. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I prefer to use a soft brayer and not press very hard. I find that a soft brayer picks up ink better. Hard rollers also are not very forgiving if you have any irregularities in the flatness of your block.

bridog

I echo Boundstaff’s (Justin) comments. Soft rubber tends to pick up and transfer both oil and water soluble inks better than a hard rubber or acrylic roller.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
            visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Printmakerguy

I like ’em soft- And BIG diameter… They do seem to pick up ink much better. Larger diameters hold a LOT of ink, too.

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.