Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Holbein WC transparency chart

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    martih

:wave: I have been trying to find a chart of Holbein WC that gives transparency ratings. Anyone know where I can get one?

indianagreg

I sent them an email requesting printed material in July and was told they were updating it (due to updating their watercolor line). I just sent them a reminder at holbeinusainfo (at) aol.com. I asked specifically for that information (transparency/opacity, granulation, staining, etc.) as it is not available on their website color chart.

martih

Okay. Good to know! I looked on their website & didn’t see that info so I was hoping there was one somewhere that I missed (hope springs eternal). I’m getting really tired of trying to find it!

Riverfrog

I had the same problem when I started using Holbein.
                    Eventually I sent for a free Holbein colour chart from Jackson’s Art and Voila! each colour is coded for transparency, semi transparent opaque etc; etc;

What it doesn’t have are the pigment codes or how many pigments used for each colour which is interesting as they often use more than one and the names vary a lot from other manufacturers. However, thankfully all this info is on Dick Blick.com.
                    Happy painting, how do you find using Holbein?
                    :clap:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Feb-2013/1041532-red_potatoes_signature_photo.jpg Red Potatoes

martih

I like Holbein quite a bit. I also use WN which is consistently good. Plus DaVinci, which I also like – especially the price & made in U.S.! I am not familiar with Jackson’s. are they online? I am tired of buying color that I think will be transparent & then aren’t. I have found quite a range with the Quin colors: the gold & burnt orange are very transparent, but the reds are not. Maybe I will just switch to DS who gives all the info in his catalog!

martih

Riverfrance: I went online to get the Holbein color chart from Jackson’s & realized they were in England. I am on the west coast of the US, so that isn’t going to help me any, since I don’t want to pay shipping charges for a color chart! Darn it!!

indianagreg

As this information (pigments, transparency/opacity, lifting, staining, intense, etc.) is not in a convenient form (some of it not at all) on Holbein’s website, here are scans of what I received from them today in the mail. I’m sorry to post them in this form, but I felt the max. width and height restrictions would have made the scans difficult to read.

[ATTACH]789943[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]789944[/ATTACH]

Greg

martih

Thanks, To all of you who gave me info. Yesterday, I sent an email to Blick Art Materials & told them my problem. They wrote me & said they have a chart with all of the info & would be glad to send me one! Now, why didn’t I think of that in the 1st place?? I can’t believe how helpful everyone is on WC. Happy painting until next time!

RuiFromUK

Hi Greg,

This is brilliant. Thank you very much.

Kind regards.
                                        Rui

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
                                        "I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
                                        Socrates.

Indiana Greg, I appreciate the Holbein Charts so much! Any idea where I can find the same info on Sennelier?

kindly,

Patti in Tucson
                                        Love Matters

M.L. Schaefer

Here’s a link to their page: http://www.holbeinhk.com/images/ch_artist_water_colors.jpg

I know that one must be familiar with pigments, as Holbein does have many opaque watercolors. If it has white in it = opaque, definitely….I couldn’t read any transparency information on the chart (but that’s not saying there isn’t one there).

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
                                            Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.