Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Miscellaneous Oil Pastels – Sealer for oil pastels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Can anyone give me some advice on sealing an oil pastel ‘painting’ I’ve done on canvas? I don’t want to have to put it under glass. Also, how long does the picture have to dry before using any type of sealer. How can I tell that it’s dry? PJ

I’ve never heard of “sealing” oil pastels. I have heard of using fixative on them, but it seems to be generally agreed that fixing of oil pastels is unnecessary because they’re not going to smear in the way that soft pastels do. Somebody does make a fixative for oil pastels (I think it’s Sennelier??). I also don’t think there’s any “drying time” you need to be concerned about.

I am not an expert (obviously), but since no one else has answered your questions, I figured I’d tell you what little I think I know.

I've had all I can stand, I can't stands no more!
    - Popeye

I used to use oil pastels a lot before I switched to soft pastels. In my experience, oil pastels never dry completely, as oil paint does. They need to be framed under glass like any other pastel painting.

——————
    Barry Katz

Barry Katz

LA

hi

i have been using oil pastels a little and find them very useful but i have noticed that they do tend to come off the paper/board. i find that the courser the paper/board, the more oil pastel that it will hold, but that can sometimes lead to overworking the picture.

recently i attempted an oil pastel and white spirit painting. the white spirit ‘melted’ the pastel and made it rather like a thin oil painting wash. it was really effective and enjoyable, however i have found that since, every time u touch it, the oil pastel comes off!!

i dont know of any other way to fix it other than fixative. which incidently i tried …. it didnt work though! it still comes off! but not just as much!

sorry i couldnt be of any more help! (in fact….sorry to be the bringer of bad news!)
        im sure there is something out there that will help!….i just dont know of it!
        if u find out…please let me kno! i would be very interested!

LA !!!

——————

Hi

I just found this forum and Talens have a Oil Pastel Varnish

Just from Talens Site “http://www.talens.com/aux_pastels.html “:

>>>
        Varnish for Oil Pastels 060
        Purpose: Making work in oil pastel and wax crayon smudge-proof and water-repellent
        Composition: Synthetic dispersion in water with built-in surfactant
        Qualities: – Milky white liquid drying to a colourless and transparent finish
        – Makes drawings in oil pastel and wax crayon smudge-proof and water-repellent
        – Dries to a glossy finish
        – Has hardly any effect on the colours
        – Dries within one hour
        – Can be thinned with water
        >>>

:cool:

hans.kok

I used the Talens oil pastel fixative with good results. Beats framing behind glass for me! Somewhere I read you should leave the OP for 2 weeks to harden (dry) before applying the fixative, and I always kept to that. I can recommend this!
            Hans

Hi Hans! Welcome to the pastel forums – please join us over in the Oil Pastel Studio. Your information on Talens and the fixative would be welcomed by all the members there.

:wave:

fruitpastel

Hi eveyone :clap:

I’m new on here but I am a dedicated oil pastellist and I have been looking for ages for something to varnish my work. Where can I buy this Talens oil pastel varnish from please?? I live in the UK but with mail order, that doesn’t really make any difference. Thanks.

Catkin

I’m in the UK also – have just seen the Talens varnish for sale by mail-order – just need to find the leaflet – will post the details when I find them
                    Sharon :cat:

Luck is another name for optimism:cat:
                    Check out my eBay items - katkin
                    My New Blog - http://cats-and-art.blogspot.com/
                    Myspace http://www.myspace.com/cat_artist

Catkin

Hi
                        just found the info I was looking for – a UK mail order company called paintworks sells the Talens oil pastel varnish as well as Van Gogh oil pastels – paintworks.biz – it may not be on their website yet but if you email them they’ll send the details.
                        I have noticed that Caran D’ache also have a spray varnish which they state is suitable for oil pastels – I haven’t tried either yet so I can’t offer any opinions.

Luck is another name for optimism:cat:
                        Check out my eBay items - katkin
                        My New Blog - http://cats-and-art.blogspot.com/
                        Myspace http://www.myspace.com/cat_artist

fruitpastel

Thanks very much for looking that up Catkin! :cat:

I will look them up, definitely. I’ve tried the Caran D’Ache spray but I’m looking for something a bit more permanent so that i don’t need to frame huge pastels (glass is very heavy :crying: and costs ££££ :-(

I will let you know if I manage to acquitre any Talens varmish in the UK – in case anyone else is interested ;)

Diyart

I used the Talens oil pastel fixative with good results. Beats framing behind glass for me! Somewhere I read you should leave the OP for 2 weeks to harden (dry) before applying the fixative, and I always kept to that. I can recommend this!
                                Hans

hello Hans,
                                what brand of oil pastels do you use.
                                I prefer Sennelier by far.. they are almost like oil colors, but never dry our completely. I am very reluctant to use any sealing. I did a trial with
                                a spray once and will not repeat that.
                                In my opinion a sealing on acrylic basis will not work with oil pastels
                                because the surface get`s not dry.

Could you give more info please ?

Martin

fruitpastel

Hi
                                    just found the info I was looking for – a UK mail order company called paintworks sells the Talens oil pastel varnish as well as Van Gogh oil pastels – paintworks.biz – it may not be on their website yet but if you email them they’ll send the details.
                                    I have noticed that Caran D’ache also have a spray varnish which they state is suitable for oil pastels – I haven’t tried either yet so I can’t offer any opinions.

Hi. Well I emailed Paintworks and they do sell Oil Pastel Varnish so I will order some today. (http://www.paintworks.biz). They were quite amused at the Wetcanvas route I had taken to find it :D Seems the most obvious to me. Go straight to the people who use the stuff. Thanks again ;)

Nata

Hi
                                        :cat:

Hi
                                        I found the Talens Oil Pastel Varnish at Lawrence mail order (UK) a few years ago. (Can find their web address if anybody needs it)
                                        Personally, I did not like it. It gave the painting to much gloss for my taste but it sealed it quite well.
                                        I have read an article about using Liquitex Matt Varnish or Gloss medium & varnish but have not tried it myself.

[FONT=Verdana]Angela

Squidoo Lens MySpace

fruitpastel

Thanks Nata. I phoned Lawrence but they don’t seem to do it anymore. Thanks anyway. ;) I’ve been reading the thread re using OP on canvas and sealing with layers of medium. That sounds interesting! ….. :cool:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.