Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life New WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Zippoah

This might be the last piece I post on cause the image restrictions.

One megabyte?
        Wow.
        Yeah, no.
        Exceeds the limit and dimensions.
        Gimme a break.
        See ya on the flip side.

Zippoah

[ATTACH]862847[/ATTACH]O.k., I’m over my tantrum:)
            This is the skull I got in the mail a week ago.

I have a question.

I got some Stonehenge aqua hot press and assumed both sides of the paper are the same so I just cut the sheet in half, taped it up, and started drawing.
            Well the texture seems to kinda suck. Yeah I did fuzz it in a few places but even in places that haven’t been touched by anything the paper’s texture is inconsistent and randomly containing small specks of texture that are throwing off my gradients.

Anyone know if this is normal?
            Did I use the wrong side?

Good work. Try to use darker values. I use Watercolor Arches hot press paper and I am sure I use the other side of the paper which has more tooth and able to give more contrasts and values than the other side. It is practically impossible to check which side of the paper is the one needed. Generally I use the side where the label is attached when it comes to other brands. In general the “right” side of the paper is not the one is more suitable for drawing. Next time try the “wrong” side.

Zippoah

[ATTACH]863180[/ATTACH]Hey thanks man. Yeah I’m taking my time on my values to see how well I can get them. Here’s the latest. I’ve been avoiding the teeth until now. Gonna spend the day if I feel well enough, on the teeth and see if I can finish the back of the skull.

Eugene Kabrun

Good work!!!!!

Dcam
                        Zippoah

Eugene thank you.
                            Derek that means a lot to me coming from you.
                            I determined to draw this strictly from life but I cannot see well enough with my new glasses ( the guy messed up both lenses, I think he let his apprentice do the work…I know I have the right to take them back legally as they are a medical devise but I don’t want the hassle and I don’t trust the place anymore) so I took a pic and am working with it to do the teeth to speed up the process.
                            Of course I’ll cross reference the thing with looking at the actual teeth but I’m not going to put myself through the stringent from life only thing when I cannot really see it.
                            So thanks again guys.
                            I did a little more on the teeth but I’ll wait to update till I’m done with them. The background won’t fit into the size requirements for posting here.
                            I might try using my phone.
                            Edit: just tried, no joy:(

Donna T

You are doing such nice work on this! I appreciate the info about the paper too because I never know which side to use. Sorry about your vision problems. As someone who is very nearsighted I know how hard it can be when lenses aren’t right.

Donna
                                C&C Always Welcome

Zippoah

You are doing such nice work on this! I appreciate the info about the paper too because I never know which side to use. Sorry about your vision problems. As someone who is very nearsighted I know how hard it can be when lenses aren’t right.

Hey thanks. Yeah I gotta get some new lenses and see if that gives me more freedom to do what I’m trying to do.
                                    I hate to keep updating relentlessly but here’s the latest.
                                    When it’s finished I think I put a link to a higher quality one cause these restrictions are frustrating:([ATTACH]863258[/ATTACH]

AllisonR

Even though it is only a simple setup, it is well thought out. I like the dark accents in the eye socket, below the scull in the back and below the jaw. Drawing is nice as well. Even though the shadow under the chin may be super sharp in real life, I think softening it a bit will help your drawing as then the chin won’t be the focal point.

The size restrictions are totally annoying. Can’t accept png format either, which has a much higher color range than jpeg esp. in intense colors. But this forum is ancient.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                        Zippoah

Even though it is only a simple setup, it is well thought out. I like the dark accents in the eye socket, below the scull in the back and below the jaw. Drawing is nice as well. Even though the shadow under the chin may be super sharp in real life, I think softening it a bit will help your drawing as then the chin won’t be the focal point.

The size restrictions are totally annoying. Can’t accept png format either, which has a much higher color range than jpeg esp. in intense colors. But this forum is ancient.

Hey thanks. The paper is shot but the dark under the chin has been bothering me. I went tooo fast on many places but I tried to adhere to draw what I see but you’re right.
                                            Even though I am aware that it’s our “job” to make editorial decisions like that, and was aware the dark looked not pleasing, I still never considered keeping that part light.
                                            Thanks a million. I had done some more and came here to post it but will wait and try the correction you suggest.
                                            Oh and thanks for noticing the composition. I did take a while setting up.
                                            A more than a few seconds placing a plastic skull on a book sounds ridiculous but I tried to get the shadows and all to work together.
                                            Thanks again.

Zippoah

[ATTACH]863508[/ATTACH]Finally done. Just gotta sign and spray.
                                                Excited about the next one.
                                                Here’s a link to a more high resolution…
                                                https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMVpXpneULUfo6zoGDlcRJYRVBmmoK5wpQY5k4F

Dcam

Super rendering job.
                                                    You could use this as a perfect grissaile for color as well…….or keep it as a fabulous drawing.

Zippoah

Super rendering job.
                                                        You could use this as a perfect grissaile for color as well…….or keep it as a fabulous drawing.

Hey thanks man.
                                                        I am still playing with it:(
                                                        I never really considered using it for a grissaile. I wouldn’t even know how to do that.
                                                        You mean like seal it somehow and then glaze over it?

Dcam

Yes….I hope for the sake of instruction, you don’t mind me posting one of mine. You fix with a flat fixative (permanent) let dry and then glaze with acrylics or oil. You must of course mount your drawing on a board.
                                                            If you choose oil, after fixing, use a matte medium to seal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.