Home Forums Explore Media Photography Photo Equipment and Software Friend to shoot my art w her DSLR – any tips for how to best set up + other ideas?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    AnnieA

I’ve had such bad results with my own camera that I’ve now asked a friend to assist. She has a Canon D7200 DSLR, but hasn’t photographed artwork before. I’d like these shots to be as good as possible, as I need them for creating a website and posting online. She has limited time to do this (just an hour) so I thought I’d ask here for tips.

If it’s possible to take the photos outside, we’ll try to do that, but given the recent wet weather, it’s unlikely. So, I’ll bring some bulbs with a high CRI so the lighting source should be good. These are the bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTRSMNR/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        …and here is an abbreviated description:
        Ultra Very High Performance, Viribright, New Technology!
        60 Watt Replacement, Dimmable, A19,
        LED light Bulb, 6 pack,
        Cool White,
        E26 Edison Base,
        90+ CRI

I know it’s possible to purchase a pretty decent lighting set up for about $200, but even that is beyond my art budget at the moment. I was advised by someone else that part of the lighting problem I’ve had is because typical LED bulbs typically are able to only produce part of the color spectrum – there are gaps that can make photos – and paintings – look odd. He said that there are newer bulbs that overcome that problem, and the thing to look for is a high CRI (color rendering index) rating. I’m hoping that the bulbs will help the photos turn out well.

My understanding is that the best approach is to have two lights located high, one on each side, and I’ll try to set things up like that although there may be limits to how easily I’m able to do that. Are there specific heights/distances? Are there certain settings on the camera that are a good place to start? Or other considerations? Any tips would be greatly appreciated – many thanks!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
        [FONT=Palatino]
        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.