Home Forums Explore Subjects Marine Art The C.R. Lamb sternwheeler

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    adm.nelson

I was asked to post this model here on this forum, I was told you all might enjoy this. It is a 1/87th scale model, mostly scratchbuilt, except the main structure (walls, decking and hull) of a sternwheeler from the 1920’s, or near abouts. The model is made all of wood and is about 13″ long. I first posted it on another forum, miniature art, where there are a few close ups of some construction. If you wish to visit that too, your welcome to do so.
        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20155081

This is my first ship in many years, and my first ever sternwheeler. I started it in May, and just finished it today, doing about an hour or so every day or two. It started as a kit by interaction Hobbies, and although the kit is good, there were many discrepancies from the real ship, so many changes had to be made. The last photo shows the stock model if built per instructions. I hardly ever follow instructions, always going off on my own tangent.

The first two pics are of the real ship,

The kit version:

Tony Burgess

[FONT="Georgia"]Tony Burgess

vegaskip

Hi Tony, Nice model, is it for your Model RR. I too am building an On30 model RR. Long term project of a Logging line.
            Jim

shadwell

cool !! more modellers and railway ones too !! I just bought the re release of Jacques custeaus calypso to build into a diorama over winter and have many part completed projects to finnish , including American HO diesels , british steam and diesels , aircraft , cars etc and to make a start on my early 80s rail blue layout , think this year will be finishing my unfinished projects year !:lol: or maybe not :lol: model shops are my downfall !!:lol:

[FONT=Fixedsys]if at first you don't succede !!!![/COLOR]
                [FONT=Fixedsys]give skydiving a miss !![/COLOR]

[FONT=Fixedsys]
                adm.nelson

Hi Tony, Nice model, is it for your Model RR. I too am building an On30 model RR. Long term project of a Logging line.
                    Jim

Hi Jim, Thank you, and sorry I replied so late, I forgot to subscribe to this post and keep forgetting to check in.

It is for my railroad, or a diorama really, I don’t have a layout, I prefer smaller dioramas, that way I can be more flexible. This model is in HO scale, I notice your doing On30. Just curious, do you get the annual On30 magazine? If so, in the premier issue there will be a model of mine, the tool shed, which is my first scratchbuilt (or any built) O scale model. I’m not sure any more of these will be published as Castens went out of business last week. Chris Lane, the editor, had his last day there last Friday.

adm.nelson

cool !! more modellers and railway ones too !! I just bought the re release of Jacques custeaus calypso to build into a diorama over winter and have many part completed projects to finnish , including American HO diesels , british steam and diesels , aircraft , cars etc and to make a start on my early 80s rail blue layout , think this year will be finishing my unfinished projects year !:lol: or maybe not :lol: model shops are my downfall !!:lol:

That’s funny. I think we are all strapped out when it comes to buying models.
                        While I am here, I thought I would post a few fial shots, I painted a little water on the base. Looks better now. I used Liquitex paint and gel medium.

Tony Burgess

vegaskip

Part of the layout at an early stage .Bachmann Climax loco.
                            Jim
                            [ATTACH]815596[/ATTACH]

adm.nelson

Part of the layout at an early stage .Bachmann Climax loco.
                                Jim
                                [ATTACH]815596[/ATTACH]

Jim,
                                That’s about the size of layout I would do in On30, when I get to that part. Just a small short line, more to show buildings than anything else. Cool.

Love the painting there too.
                                Here is one I found at a furniture store once on vacation. The pic is hard to see through the glass in the photo, so I apologize for that.

vegaskip

This is in my ‘studio’ and will eventually go all the way round, with a lift out section at the door.
                                    Jim

adm.nelson

This is in my ‘studio’ and will eventually go all the way round, with a lift out section at the door.
                                        Jim

I can see that. Sounds like a great project. My ‘studio’ (never called it that before) comprises a game room in which I paint, model and display in. Large enough room, but building many models, storing all the kits I may never build :lol:, diplay cases as well as a few bookcases (model railroad and ship books of course, ok, a few history too), it gets a little crowded. Once I get everything more organized, it should be a lot better, I only moved into this house 2 years ago and still sorting a few things out.

Good luck and have fun on the railroad, I would love to see it as it progresses.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.