Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Ever use Airbrush medium for acrylic?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lcruz84

As a replacement for gel medium or water? I was watching a YouTube video on using airbrush medium mixed with acrylic to put down a tonal ground. She demonstrated using acrylic/water, acrylic/gel and acrylic/airbrush medium. I have never heard of using airbrush medium and wondering if if has made a difference in the vibrancy of you acrylic paintings? Plus this also my first time using a tonal ground for a painting.

Dcam

It thins out the acrylic nice for thin lines and details but I find it too glossy.
            I like satin mediums or matte. If you like glossy it is terrific for glazes.

fedetony

The AB medium is just a better reducer to thin paints, increases viscosity without diluting the paint as much as water…Depending the brand, uses alcohol that evaporates fast enough after atomized.. The main use is just to thin the paints that they pass easily through the nozzles…
                You can use it for toning your painting, but is not necessary is just more expensive than distilled water and will give you the same result.. There are some brands that add some medium increasing the glossiness, yet normally they don’t; it will not be glossy if you use liquitex or createx… not sure about other brands, I have not tried them :)

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Richard P

Is the Golden airbrush medium glossy?

Mary

I sometimes use AB medium instead of water when I need to thin a mix. Of course, you have to find your balance between fluidity and transparency, but it’s sometimes helpful.

Mary Thompson
                        http://www.wildpinesstudio.net

Constructive Criticism Always Welcome.

Boafamily

I have used it with great success.

autolisp

DIY airbrush medium. 2/3 Distilled water + 1/3 Isopropinol (rubbing alcohol). For every 100 ml add 20 ml Prop Glycol. Then add 2 ml flow improver. Thins paint easily and cleans brushes.

I'm not a new member. But the database thinks I am!

fedetony

Then add 2 ml flow improver.

what kind of flow improver?

Federico Garcia
                                    My Blog
                                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

autolisp

what kind of flow improver?

Any artists acrylic flow improver will do the job.

I'm not a new member. But the database thinks I am!

MS_Paints

If you are looking for a Golden product, you want High Flow Medium (formerly Airbrush Transparent Extender) and not Airbrush Medium.

It is glossy though. Mix with Fluid Matte Medium, or go with 100% Fluid Matte Medium if glossy isn’t right for you.

I believe I know what video you are referring to, and seriously I applaud the amount of info she shares about her experience and process, but I think this particular video was a bit of a disservice to the community.

Every now and again there is a wave of fear mongering regarding the use of water and acrylics. If you are using an artist quality acrylic, you really don’t need to be afraid of using water. Just apply a bit of common sense and proceed carefully if you are worried that a layer is fragile. Worst that will likely happen in that case is that a bit of lifting will occur.

Should be noted that while you will see me defending painting with just acrylics and water, I adore using mediums in various capacities, esp. in my abstract work.

Do experiment and figure out when/how to use acrylic mediums in service to your goals. Don’t use High Flow Medium as a water replacer. Use it when you need a super thin, glossy film that really flows. Or use it to extend High Flow acrylics.

Just my 2 cents. Happy painting!

Old_hobbyest

I have been using AB medium on a regular basis way back when I was doing some commercial ABing BEFORE manufacturers produced AB paints. I’m certainly no expert when painting acrylics but I believe it holds the pigment together better than water, especially when thinning hvy body tube paints. Besides it seems to take a lot less AB medium than water to thin paints to the same viscosity.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.