Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Is there a technique for painting reeds?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Baggy

I will be front up. I am frustrated. I began painting reeds by a pond today and it went from bad to worse. I was my own worst enemy. I started ok, I think, but I ended up losing focus and gobbing my paint on..and it looks it.
        I lost the nice, crisp, well deliniated look of a reed bed by the side of a pond.

I know why I lose focus. Everyone tells me that I am a comfortable loose painter. But when I have to use pinpoint accuracy and patience, I find it stressful and exhausting. I take off my hat to the floral painters of the world – they’ve got what I will never have.

Is there anyone with experience in painting tangled reeds?

The one good thing is, I chose a small canvas to work on. I will cut myself a piece of hardboard (masonite), which is much cheaper, the next time I have a go at it.

I should add in conclusion…I know that I learn by my failures and there have been many along my road, so my frustration is already passing as I write this posting.

Guide

Have you considered a liner brush, scripting brush or a grass brush. A splayed fan brush is always a fun one to play with as well.

You may find this interesting.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Keith

from what i can see of your painting all you need to do is start refining the reeds , the base is already there , start adding some light and darks , some greens and browns over the pale colour that you have layed down already…..im sure with a little patients u will succeed !

https://keithandersonart.ie/

Greggo

I agree with Keith a., I think you have a solid start, think of what you have done so far as an underpainting, start laying in thinner layers/lines of the other colors, browns, golds, tans, greens, reds and it will work out

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Baggy

Thank you for your kind comments. Oh, I have a liner brush and it helps. I will return to it, now that a day has passed and you have given me the encouraging words that I am still on track.

With much appreciation/win

OkeeKat

Yes a fine brush helps, I use a wedge/angled brush or a dagger,
                            the edge when wet and wiped comes to a sharp flat edge I use it like a exacto knife would cut,leaving a really nice sharp lines.
                            here are a few examples.. you need t o add dark and lights to give it more depth, especially dark around the bottom along the water.. and add both mixed tones.
                            I add raw sienna/yellows and browns to my greens to give the grasses more tones. Black or burnt umber to sap green for the darks.
                            Hope this helps..best example I have .

this shows the grasses but not the colors as it does above

~*~Kathie[/COLOR]~*~
                            Fine Art by Papasso ~ "Herd of Cows" Paintings ~ [/B][/I][/COLOR]MyDeviantArt ~ Facebook

Baggy

Wonderful.
                                Thanks so much for your help. I will return to it with renewed enthusiasm.

jonc50

What an excellent thread! It gets to the heart of the matter and really informs with details about the equipment and how to use it, even showing examples. I’m sure many artist love a looser style, but how many have no way of finding out simple answers to their concerns? What a great site for new members like myself who have the time and desire to “lurk”! This is more rewarding to the viewing numbers (323 at this point for this post) that show in the side column who have opportunity to see how others have dealt with problems that they may have encountered. My only problem with it is that it seriously cut into my actual painting time….
                                    Jon C.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • The topic ‘Is there a technique for painting reeds?’ is closed to new replies.