Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Removing Acrylic Paint from Garage Floor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profi9le

I don’t paint in acrylic, but I have a student who does. While priming some canvases in our garage, he spilled paint here and there. Does anyone have some tips on removing dried acrylic paint from cement floors? :mad:

Michael Chesley Johnson AIS MPAC PSA
        www.MChesleyJohnson.com

Perhaps the same way I remove dried paint from brushes. I use Hand sanitizer like Purell or Germ-X. Just pump some on, allow to sit a few minutes and scrub a bit. Even though it will remove the paint it may not remove pigment stains. Another alternative is to get Denatured alcohol at your local home center. It smells rough and be sure to use good ventilation.

www.gservaisart.com
        I have heard it said that any painting project has a 50/50 chance of being a mess or a masterpiece.

C&C Always welcome

susme48

Try amonia….and alcohol…it worked when my son painted our hearth neon blue one night…:o

[FONT="Impact"]♥ [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]§usan [FONT="Impact"]♫

"Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech." ~Simonides
            "Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
            [/CENTER]
            Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy

If it is just bare concrete it will be very difficult to get it all off. But alcohol should work the best and get most of the paint off the floor.

Carol
            "Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence" - Time Bandits[/color]
            Moderator: Acrylic Forum
            My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography[/B]

birdlady

not sure it will work on cement but I use oven cleaner on my cloths when I get it on them.

Laurie

Depending on how smoothly the concrete was finished off you may be able to peel or scrape any thick bits off. You could even sandpaper it off!

Ammonia is supposed to work well to remove acrylics but I’ve never had a chance to try it. Alcohols of all types definitely work – they soften and make it let go (without truly dissolving it like a stronger solvent might, which can lead to bigger problems with staining).

Let us know how you get on.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Profi9le

Thanks, everyone. Window cleaner (with ammonia) worked just fine. It helped, I think, that the paint had been on the cement less than 24 hours.

Michael Chesley Johnson AIS MPAC PSA
                    www.MChesleyJohnson.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • The topic ‘Removing Acrylic Paint from Garage Floor’ is closed to new replies.