Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #547: June 26- July 4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts!

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Rules for Hunting:
    * All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
    * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
    * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
    * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt #547: June 26- July 4
    I thought one word song titles from the 50s-60s would be fun:

Wanted – Perry Como – 1954 – something new you had wanted for a while
    Tequila – The Champs – 1958 – or other beverage (not coffee or tea, see below)
    Honey – Bobby Goldsboro – 1968 – or other sweetner
    Butterfly – Andy Williams – 1957 – or other insect
    Yesterday – The Beatles – 1965 – something from memory from yesterday
    Calcutta – Lawrence Welk – 1961 – or something from travels
    Cherish – The Association – 1966 – a cherished item
    Downtown – Petula Clark – 1965 – something from your town, view or keepsake
    Donna – Ritchie Valens – 1959 – or other person
    Greenfields – The Brothers Four – 1960 – landscape
    Raindrops – Dee Clark – 1961 – or other water
    Lollipop – The Chordettes – 1958 – or food treat
    Hair – The Cowsills – 1969
    Jambalaya – Jo Stafford – 1951 – or other food
    Silhouettes – The Rays – 1958
    Reflections – Diana Ross and the Supremes – 1967
    Fire – The Crazy World of Arthur Brown – 1968
    Something – The Beatles – 1969 – free choice
    Maybellene – Chuck Berry – 1955 – or makeup, lotion
    Wheels – The String-A-Longs – 1961
    People – Barbra Streisand – 1964
    Java – Al Hirt – 1964 – coffee or tea
    Pipeline – The Chantays – 1963 – maybe under sink
    Tiger – Fabian – 1959 – or other cat
    Still – Bill Anderson – 1963 – still life
    Problems – The Everly Brothers – 1958 – something you find hard to sketch

A challenge is to finish or at least sketch something!
    Have fun!!

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
    My website https://jocastilloart.com

jmfletch

Neat list. Creative as all get out

Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Brittiae

#1 water, #2 something I find hard to do
            I can’t paint water with watercolor paints. I mean it is very hard and I need a lot more practice. I went on a bike ride on Onandago Lake in Syracuse and painted this. 5×8 watercolors. It took about an hour. I almost threw it in the lake. Very difficult. For me.

-Barb

Art, because it is so easy to do, and yet so difficult to do well, encourages humility in the human soul. (Robert Glenn)

jmfletch

Brittiae – You got me as a fan with “I almost threw it in the lake.” :cool: Can totally relate! I think you did a good job. I really like the subtle reflections of the trees.

Keep sketching
                Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Brittiae

Lol. Yes. Thanks, Joe. Sometimes it feels like when a golfer throws his clubs in a pond or wraps a couple of drivers around a tree! Why can’t I get this??? But all you can do is keep on keepin’ on. I think I try to work the paint too much. I treat it too much like oils. At least this time I didn’t end up with gnarled and lumpy muddy looking paper that appears semi-digested by an annoyed animal. So I must be improving.

Art, because it is so easy to do, and yet so difficult to do well, encourages humility in the human soul. (Robert Glenn)

Hi Ya’ll,…..really completely missed out on the last hunt……

Jo – thanks for hosting….cool list …

Briattae – meeee too about throwing it in the lake but at least you have a good strong reaction and keeeep on holding on….that takes character ….. Your painting is really not that bad…..

Hi Joe :wave:

Robin
                    The mediator between head and hands must
                    be the heart. Harbou - Metropolis
                    http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/

Eye

Jo: Thanks for the cool list.

Barb: A nice start pond scene…eventhouh you feel frustrate.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
                        https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

nguyen01

Thank, Jo for the musical list. Very good idea ! I’ll listen to when sketching !
                            Brittiae: Well, I like your wc ! Colors are rich. I myself have no much experience with wc. Often use pen. Wait to see more from you! Have a good day !

Eye

#1 wanted … a new car…actually I want the other model … but this one parked near us when we were waiting to pick the kids up from school…done in direct watercolor… about 15 min.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
                                https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

jmfletch

Ai – Nice job! Cars are tough and doing it direct seems an even bigger challenge. Hope you get what you want soon.:crossfingers:

Hey Robin. Missed you last hunt.

An – I like to listen to music when I draw too.

All the lurkers :wave:

Keep sketching
                                    Joe

We have no WiFi so I’m typing on my on iPhone. I typed a bunch and it went away. Great stuff I’ll be back. I like touch typing on a keyboard… do not like this, I’ll see if I can fire up the blue tooth keyboard.

Brittiae

Hi Eve, good angle on the car scene. I like your colors. Your dimensions are right on, which is hard to accomplish in real time, from life, with paint, in 15 minutes. Very good! Amazing actually. You must have been peering out of a second story window? Very good eye.

Robin, thanks for the cheer up! I could argue that I should only post work I’m totally proud of, but honestly, that’s such a high bar, I would never post anything. But, there’s always something good and always something not so good in everything. By posting work that maybe I could have done better, it provides an incentive to keep trying. And besides, that was done for the Hunt. That’s what I did.

Ng, I do like using pastels, but I’m living in a hotel while on a temporary job and couldn’t bring my pastels with me. Paints are easier to travel with. You were right to wonder though, because, once again I wasn’t using WC the way one usually does with the translucent color. My subconscious wants to go home to oils when I paint. I have to talk to myself, “light to dark,” and at some point, I usually get confused. Lol!! But if I keep working on it, I will eventually get the idea. That’s the premise anyway and the plan.

Hey, Joe, I used to live in Fort Myers from 1991-2005. Now I’m in Coral Springs, a suburban community off Fort Lauderdale. I far prefer the West Coast, though.

Thanks all, you are a very nice group!!

Barb

jmfletch

I am a west coaster. Post Office says I live in Punta Gorda but am not actually in the city, heck I ain’t even on the right side of the river. We really live in Port Charlotte.

But was born and raised up near where you are, well close. Queens. Close just a few hours away. :evil:

Watercolor has been on my want to learn list for a few years. Made several starts but end up back with graphite or color pencils..and digital which is easy travel. One day I will get the hang of it.

Keep sketching
                                            Joe

nguyen01

Ai, quite a good car to pick the kids after school !
                                                1. Here is a sketch of musicians playing in the street. Don’t know what may be the appropriate title ! (quick pencil, plus some color pencils, paper format A3, 20 min may be)

Barb and Joe, hi. We live little west of you, ha!

An, the musicians are wonderful. Nice to hear live music. I would mark it off for “people”. Not as important as getting in a sketch!

I sketched in the big book with Prismacolor pens and colored pencil.
                                                Number 1, jambalaya – sub Tony’s Creole seasoning.
                                                Number 2, tequila – a sort of generic brand in a clear bottle and clear in color of the liquid. I thought it was vodka at first when Gene put it on the counter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.