Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #537: April 6 – 14

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #537: Apr 6-14
        Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts!

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Rules for Hunting:
        * All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt #537: Apr 6-14
        An outdoor view
        A view into another room
        A tree
        A vegetable
        A fruit
        A vehicle
        Something from your bathroom
        Something you bought recently
        Something sweet
        Something sour
        Related to your health
        Related to exercise
        Related to cooking
        Something that relaxes you
        Something that makes you happy
        Related to planting
        Made of glass
        Made of plastic
        Made of wood
        Made of leather
        Larger than you
        Smaller than the palm of your hand
        A timing device
        A piece of jewelry
        Something to read
        A backpack, tote bag, or purse

Challenges:
        1) Do 2 or more items as blind contour drawings.
        2) Sketch 2 or more items with your non-dominant hand.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

jmfletch

Thanks for list Joan.

Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Joan, looks like fun. Thanks.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
            My website https://jocastilloart.com

Eye

Joan: Thanks for the list.

#1 an outdoor view … our Day1 stay at a rental AirBnb in Trastevere district, Roma

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
                https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Joan T

Ai – You are traveling and still managed to be the first to post. Love your view in Rome!!!

Joan T

1 – vehicle – watercolors and ink
                        2 – made of glass (window)
                        3 – purse (on the table on the left)
                        4 – tree – watercolors

Ai, so beautiful. A great start to your trip. Have fun.

Joan, Great sketch of the coffee shop. The blue house is amazing.

We have another day of winter (for us about 45F) which is cold. Staying home from baseball. Brrr. Meant to say it was 86F yesterday. 70s tomorrow. Crazy.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                        My website https://jocastilloart.com

Eye

#2 Larger than you — Fontana De Trevi, Roma … I did this in 15 min. with waterbrush and a small wc travel kit…. I travel with my family including 2 kids… I did not want to spend too long time to sketch

#3 Something that makes you happy — Piazza Navona, Roma … about 10 min., no time to color in… a big piazza with 3 fountains and lots of gelato shops… we did have some gelatos… and Lily got chocolate all over her face.

#4 Something that relaxes you — the Pantheon Dome …I feel lucky to get to sit on the pew, inside the Pantheon, to sketch. It is such a comfort and calm feeling at the same time… esp. seeing the sunlight shines thru the glass dome

Ai

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Eye

Joan: Thanks. Lovely cafe scene… with all amazing details and love the charming blue home too

Jo: Thanks… Nice baseball relaxing day

Ai

Joan T

Ai, I love how your wonderful sketches are fitting into this hunt. You have done so many already!!! Wow! It is great to see them against the real location and your sketches have so much feeling to them.

5 – larger than me (The NYC Armory) – watercolors and ink (Sketched at the First Robotics Competition yesterday. 51 teams from NYC and other countries competed with the robots they created.)

Eye

Thanks Joan… lovely sketch of the robot competition… so much interesting details

Ai

BearStar

Wow to all the out-and-about sketching – I hesitate to say sketch

which is actually a good segue to my diner sketches at brunch
                                            done quickly on my phone (Samsung Note with built in stylus)
                                            1. Related to cooking – Franks Red Hot sauce
                                            2. Sweet – sugar shaker

3. Made of Plastic – plastic .. um… glass (?) LOL not sure what to call it!

~stephanie

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]
                                            ~stephanie

Pine Cone

item #1 – “a timing device”

seashell blind contours[/color]

I’m having significant slow connection problems which are preventing some images from loading. Since the problem hasn’t been resolved yet, I decided instead of trying to post the regular sketch I was working on, I’d try posting a couple of blind contours of the same item. One is a super-fast NORMAL blind contour, and the second is a super-fast EYES SHUT one. (Increases the difficulty level.)

Seashells :heart: are “timing devices” because their growth rings track time, kind of like tree rings.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil

Procreate app for the blind contours.

Art Studio Pro app for the crop, collage of both b.c.’s, text, downsize, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual colored pencil on virtual charcoal paper.

Freehand, no drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No filters or effects. No color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Pine Cone

Everyone – I hope to see and comment on all your sketches as soon as normal internet service is restored :eek:

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Joan T

Ai – Thank you.

Stephanie – Love your sketchy hot sauce bottle, sugar shaker, and pepsi glass. I think those sugar shakers are only found in diners nowadays. Every other place seems to have the little packets.

Pine Cone – I’m trying to picture you with a box over the screen and eyes tightly shut while you’re drawing. Good seashell blind contours. I never considered how to actually go about doing a blind contour on the computer. Sorry about your poor internet service…hope it improves soon.

I was sitting with a sketching friend on an outing yesterday and he made me think of the conversation about the iPencil. He just bought a new iPad that can use the pencil. He’s never really done much sketching on an iPad and is using Procreate. He was having a lot of fun but said he has to learn the program…but loves the iPencil. I just loved that he was sketching on paper and then imported the sketch into the iPad to work on it.

6 – made of wood (posts and counter) – watercolors and ink
                                                        7 – veggies on the counter
                                                        8 – related to planting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.