WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 11:29 AM
artsy_lissa's Avatar
artsy_lissa artsy_lissa is offline
Veteran Member
Midwest, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 795
 
Hails from United States
Help me ID some tools that may be palette knives?

Hi all... Question for you. I happened upon these:



No brand (or country) is marked on the handles. They look possibly vintage - And seem to be steel blades with wood handles. Would these be used as painters' palette knives?

Anyone had any like this, or seen any like these before? I enjoy learning a little about things, including an idea of when things were made, who made them, and such - But with (potentially old) stuff like this, I don't even know where to turn.

Thank you in advance :-)
__________________
Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. ~ Claude Monet
Reply With Quote
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 12:32 PM
bobbybirds bobbybirds is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 110
 
Re: Help me ID some tools that may be palette knives?

I can't say for sure but those look more like sculpting or shaping tools for plaster or clay etc. The blades look far too thick and inflexible for a painters touch. Maybe I am wrong though... Cool nonetheless. I collect old tools too!
Reply With Quote
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 01:47 PM
Antonin Antonin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 235
 
Re: Help me ID some tools that may be palette knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy_lissa
Hi all... Question for you. I happened upon these:

No brand (or country) is marked on the handles. They look possibly vintage - And seem to be steel blades with wood handles. Would these be used as painters' palette knives?

Anyone had any like this, or seen any like these before? I enjoy learning a little about things, including an idea of when things were made, who made them, and such - But with (potentially old) stuff like this, I don't even know where to turn.

Thank you in advance :-)
The blade on the left looks like a fettling knife; used for ceramics. It appears that some (or all) are sharpened on their edges?
Reply With Quote
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 PM
DAK723's Avatar
DAK723 DAK723 is offline
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,548
 
Re: Help me ID some tools that may be palette knives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybirds
I can't say for sure but those look more like sculpting or shaping tools for plaster or clay etc. The blades look far too thick and inflexible for a painters touch. Maybe I am wrong though... Cool nonetheless. I collect old tools too!

I agree that these look like sculpting or shaping tools. I don't see them as palette or painting knives at all. But just guessing.

Don
__________________
Don Ketchek, WC Guide - Pastels

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2019, 10:00 PM
artsy_lissa's Avatar
artsy_lissa artsy_lissa is offline
Veteran Member
Midwest, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 795
 
Hails from United States
Re: Help me ID some tools that may be palette knives?

Hi all! Thanks for your time and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin
The blade on the left looks like a fettling knife; used for ceramics. It appears that some (or all) are sharpened on their edges?

Thank you for the lead, Antonin! I will look into that... To answer you, none of the knives have serrated edges or actual cutting blades at the edges - But the triangular-ish ones do have points at the corners. I hope that answers your question.
__________________
Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. ~ Claude Monet
Reply With Quote
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2019, 03:25 PM
french.painter's Avatar
french.painter french.painter is offline
Senior Member
Versailles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 331
 
Hails from France
Re: Help me ID some tools that may be palette knives?

I have once seen a triangular knife like yours in a glazier tool set. I don't know how exactly he used this knife.
Reply With Quote
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2019, 09:34 AM
artsy_lissa's Avatar
artsy_lissa artsy_lissa is offline
Veteran Member
Midwest, USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 795
 
Hails from United States
Re: Help me ID some tools that may be palette knives?

Thank you, French Painter! I will look into that as well.
__________________
Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment. ~ Claude Monet
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.