Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Self Portraits join in the fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,454 total)
  • Author

Why not join me in the exploration of a self portrait! Any medium, any method. Use a mirror or a photo- whatever suits you best.
    [FONT=Arial]Share your wip’s or your completed work.
    Have you painted one in the past? Do you paint one each year on your birthday to document the passing years? Are you painting one as we speak?
    [/FONT]
    I have been avoiding (subconsciously!) completing a self portrait for a year now. I attended a weekend workshop completely focused on exploring the self-portrait- still couldn’t complete the painting. Why? I turned 50 and thought it would be a life-affirming thing to do…. but there is something quite confronting for me to be staring closely at my features- I find other faces so much more interesting! Time to get over myself and do it!

I know there have been several artists doing self portraits in their own threads… please jump in here as well, and share your images and thoughts.

Here’s my start-
    Acrylic block-in on mat board (big brush) 35cm x 30cm

bethany
    moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
    website www.bethanyart.com
    My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

lovin art

50 :eek: , I dont believe a word of it Miss Beth :heart: :D …..I have done one so far and yes they are quite addictive I think , but like your say also makes you look alittle harder into yourself I think…Yours Beth is a great start here and you have wonderful lovely strong features ….great stuff and Great thread !!!:angel: :clap:

heres mine in oils, I guess Ill do more down the road , most artist do…its the next best thing to not having access to someone to draw or paint I think !!:D

Thanks for joining in, Sandra! :wave: Thanks for the compliment (isn’t hair dye great!)
        I love this painting of you- colours are soft and the focus is all on the eyes, as it should be…. I’m guessing from photo as I don’t know how you held your hand there the whole time!

Well, I got carried away- as soon as the acrylic dried I was into the oils… can you tell I’m on holidays? :smug:
        Starting with the darks- noticing where the shadows and light is hitting.

Here’s where she sits for now. She doesn’t look really pleased. Haven’t done too much detail, yet -see what I think of it tomorrow (without my glasses on it’s too hard to see any details!:eek:)

bethany
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

"J"

Here is one I did a few months ago after my husband passed away. It’s finished as I felt half of me was missing.

Jeanne- I feel privileged that you shared such a personal self-portrait with us here- thank you so much!
            This is beautiful in its simplicity. So true that pictures say more than words. I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

bethany

lovin art

Looking great Beth , Like the different tones you are creating in this …. Wow Jeanne , very nice of you to share such a emotional portrait for you …

"J"

Thanks. I did it for a scavenger hunt on the Artwork from Life area. I participate there a lot. They all knew about my husband. It’s been 9 months now and still pretty raw. We were married almost 40 yrs. It’s the first self portrait I have done that I like even tho it sounds strange.

I probably did this one about the second or third month after. I think it helps to work things out in creative ways whether it be art, writing, or something else.

I am happy to be able to share it with you. As I tell everyone, don’t take a loved one for granted, you never know.

Jeanne, I looked at your blog and saw some of your “hunt” posts, too.
                    I totally agree- when you have lost someone- you appreciate the ones in you life so much more!

Here’s the latest- I did this last night- couldn’t stop until I got to this stage. I can see the skin tones have become too dark, especially where the cheek meets the nose- changing light :confused:. I can also see many other areas that need work.

bethany

NancyMP

This is so good, Bethany!:thumbsup::) I’m hoping I get a chance to join this thread later on. Here’s the last self-portrait I did, from a little more than a year ago. I did it from a photo, but I think I would like to take on the challenge of painting from a mirror. Nothing like a live model!:smug:

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

bluebirder

With all the lovely ladies above I thought I should give some contrast:)
                            Steve.

Peter D

Much more fun to have all the self portraits on the same thread so I will let my thread die a dignified death and post this update here. I do urge people to try a mirror portrait rather than from a photo. Just a little more work done due to other committments.

Old_hobbyest

Some time back, the Acrylics Forum hosted a thread called MAPS. Each month, MAPS challenged painters to paint in the style of the chosen old master. Below is my self-portrait in the style of van Gogh. 12 x 16 acrylic on canvas panel. For a while, I used it as my avatar.

"J"

Good to see the guys posting. I have only done sketches of myself but they have all been from life. That’s why I always look mad. Hard to keep a smile when I’m concentrating so much.

lovin art

Nice work everyone !! I think Im the same Jeanne , some of mine drawing from life in the mirror have been seriously kinky hideous,:eek: so Im not posting them and scaring you all away …:lol: or maybe I should :D

I can see it is really difficult to show my bright and happy self with a mirror portrait! Haven’t got back to the portrait due to getting ready for an exhibition on the weekend. May display my sp to show another skill, because I am showing all pastel portraits from life.

What a great surprise to see you all displaying your faces here! Thanks for being brave enough to share with us all.

Nancy, I saw this on your blog- great to see it in more detail- beautiful work! I just found 2 more small mirrors at an op shop ($5)- will they make me look better/younger?
                                            Welcome, Steve. This is a bright and happy painting- watercolour? Love the natural expression! Was it done with photo?
                                            Peter– its a great honour to have you post here as well- I followed the progress on this with interest!
                                            Thanks for showing your face as well, old_hobbyist. A very painterly portrait. I was thinking of using mine as my avatar as well.
                                            Yes, Sandra! Be brave and post some more! (We don’t scare that easily!)

bethany

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,454 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.