Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics How to store mixed colours?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bunford

I am new to acrylics and just finished sketching out and idea that I will begin to paint in the next few days. I will need to mix out quite a few skin tones etc and have a keep wet palette (the one made by Frisk) to keep them wet for a few days.

However, I was wondering if there is a way to mix lots of paint and then store for future use. Is this possible? And if so, how is it best to store the mixed colours? I am hoping to mix 9 gradients of skin tone in bulk, then store off the tones so they are ready to go in future.

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Feel free to browse my website here

Guide

Storing in air tight bottles or fillable empty tubes should do the trick.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Jon

I know people who have used old film roll containers, saved the bottles from liquid acrylic paints and reused, small tubs of margarine, etc.. As Howard notes, anything which will seal tightly should work.

jocko500

I use a wet palette. it will keep for about three weeks some of them. some will still dry out and then you get mole:eek: :o

i do put some in small plastic bottles. Just buying some paint tubes to try them out. :crossfingers:

ideas is like the stars in Heaven, just grab one and hang on and if it do not work out grab another one:)

janinco

Pill boxes work well if they seal tightly. You can mist the top of the paints periodically to keep them from skimming over on top.

Jan

bunford

Yeah, I meant batches and keep long term, likely to be well beyond 3 weeks.

Currently Poundstretcher (a bit of everything store in UK) are selling 4 250ml glass jars for £1.49. They are small jars with screw top lids and are in their kitchen area and advertised as intended for herbs, ingredients etc.

Therefore, if i buy, say, 3 of these to get 12 jars I could then use these to put mixed paint into and keep long term without any issues? Only making sure first before i make batches and possibly waste a load of paint!

Winsor & Newton Thames Radial Easel, Winsor & Newton Artist oils, Winsor & Newton Artist acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics, Daler Rowney System3 Heavy Body acrylics, Liquitex Basics acrylic paints, Golden mediums, Liquitex Freestyle brushes and lots of other brushes.

Feel free to browse my website here

Guide

I will frequently put a piece of plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar before putting a lid on it. That might help. A friend mixes 8 oz batches of color, puts them in empty acrylic paint jars, caps them and inverts them so air has a harder time penetrating. The major danger is mold. Never good and you will know about it right away. The odor is horrendous.:lol:

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

All and any of the above!

If you have ‘The Works’ shops in Wales, they often have the little plastic containers with snap-on lids – I bought some a couple of years ago and they do work – but they’re small (about a cubic inch say?).

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • The topic ‘How to store mixed colours?’ is closed to new replies.