Home Forums Explore Media Photography Digital Manipulation Discussions Digital Manipulation Challenge XIII, Carland Elevator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

This weekend, just one year later, I will return to the Carland Elevator to take a photo of the approaching Polar Express 1225. These are photo(s) from last year’s shot. I hope to bring you back a photo of the train that you can manipulate but thought you might want to take a crack at manipulating what we see as we wait for the train to arrive.

There are three perspectives from you to pick from.

Both original files can be found in the Reference library at these addresses:
    https://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=188395

https://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=188394

https://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=188396&cat=26

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Using Topaz and Affinity, I came up with this.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

dewarp

Thanks for the interesting images Lorell, and well done on your own manip.

For me the second image looked the most promising. I also used one of my own sky images. I flipped your pic to improve the composition and attacked it with Photoshop plus various add-ins (Topaz, Akvis Sketch, and Nik Silver EFX Pro) and DAP. Here is the outcome.

C&C Welcome.

regards – Peter

Anonymous

Nice images to start with, Lorell. And a neat manip.

Peter, that’s quite effective.

Just to be different, I chose #3. Not sure what my goal was other than trying to stay semi-realistic, and come up with something that reflected and intensified the mood I sensed in the original. Played around (13 layers in all) with some Nik filters, a built-in PSCS5 artistic filter, and multiple adjustment layers…

Humburger

Wow! You guys did some nifty stuff. I came upon mine completely by accident while playing around. I used PaintShopPro.

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

Quint

I have two I liked.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

I want to thank you all so much.
                    Since I started this challenge, I was tempted to delete it because I felt that I gave you such mediocre and highly challenging images. I thought to myself, “how much could they do to such boring photos?”. Well, you showed me.

Thank you, Dave,
                    Thank you, Steve,
                    Thank you Peter,
                    and thank you Ginny.

Look what you folks came up with and look how different and creative they all are.

Steve, It almost looks like there is snow covering the gravel and overhang and a snow storm on the way about to bring more of the white stuff. Oh boy, what a great sky, I love the softness of the first and the graininess of the second. The second appears to be printed on Burlap.

Dave,
                    Good details and effect of pulling the eyes into the compositon all the way to the vanishing point. The tones here are wonderul, they all agree and increase the mood. Your details accentuated the most important element in the orginal and that was the building on the right. It is now so much more interesting.

Ginny,
                    I would have never thought of that and it really caught me by surprise. This is actually believable because if you look at the bushes that are growing past the elevator and towards the vanishing point, they start to look different. You did good in shifting the brush and trees around in concentration and height to make it look realistic.
                    I also feel like you are sitting on the two tracks where they are about to converge and it is making feel anxious. REALLY.

Peter,
                    This a wow and so much more uplifting than the original. You also perserved the sign even though you flipped the photo. You taught me something about composition. Flipping this is definitely an improvement. I am going to remember that after I process my takes from tomorrow’s photo shoot. The effects are probably one of a kind and not duplicatable (is that a word?) but that is what makes it so unique.

As a reward to all of you, I promise to bring you something back from our club’s trip to see the Polar Express again tomorrow.

What I like about this Digital Manipulation Challenge is that you are able to work on images of places that you may not have access to. Look back at some of the fine images that people have shared with us while encouraging us to have fun and play with the images to our hearts content.

Thank you so much EVERYBODY. Amazing work, all of them.
                    LORELL

Rich

Ohh, coming to the party late again! What awesome work here. Reminds me of the old days on the manip forum. Brings a lump to my throat! I will get something soon. I am swamped right now scanning 2 1/4 square B&W negatives from historical photos taken in the 40’s. Some need to be printed too.
                        I can’t say anything as well as Lorell has done so I will agree with her comments! Good job everyone!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                        Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                        Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

Thanks, Rich.
                        You get back to work.
                        We appreciate you looking in and hopefully will see something later. Lots of time.
                        LORELL

Anonymous

Reminds me of the old days on the manip forum. Brings a lump to my throat!

Amen to that, Rich!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Well, one more from me.
                            I have to take a break now, I think I am burning holes in my eyes!

Rich

Lorell, that is fantastic!!! You have an awesome imagination! Well done!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. –Mother Teresa
                                Cameras Canon SX160IS, SX740HS ELPH 170IS Photoshop Elements 2021, Topaz Studio, Adjust, and Simplify
                                Website http://rich-stedman.pixels.com

Quint

and it looks like she’s on track.

Quint Nikon Coolpix 990, Nikon Coolpix P60, Nikon D7000, Nikkor, 35/f1.8, Nikkor 18-140, Nikon SB700 Speedlight.

Humburger

Wow! Lorell, I am very impressed. What a creative job that was. :-)

Ginny
                                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                        C & C Welcome

Thank you much, very much. Your compliments made it worth the time I put into it.

Steve, you made me laugh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.