Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Will my son’s paintings be safe in such storage units?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    My son is an artist. He loves drawing pictures. His room is full of his works.
    We are planning to open a small shop to display his arts and its work is in progress.
    We don’t have enough space for storing all his works conveniently and would like to get the help of any temporary storage solutions in Toronto, till the shop work is over. We have never been to such services and would like to get your tips on this. Will my son’s paintings be safe in such storage units? Thanks for your help.

La_

‘climate control’ is noted on the site and that was my only real concern, so yeah, i think the art would be fine there.

la

Jon

Your son should consider joining WetCanvas and sharing his work here with fellow artists.

bongo

something to keep in mind:

a little over a year ago I rented two storage units from Public Storage. I got them at a good price because they were hard to access and only 5feet high. But for my purposes it didn’t matter. Then about 9 months later I get a notice that my rent is going to MORE THAN DOUBLE! I figured they’d raise the rent once they have you captive – but more than double in less than a year!
                What are you going to do? A major pain to find a solution, relocate. etc. So I paired down my stuff and now just rent one unit – for the price I originally paid for two. My goal is to be able to get out of there by summer and never rent a storage unit again,.

your experience will hopefully vary.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                STUDIOBONGO

Use Her Name

In your original post, you said that you would only need the storage until the shop work was done? If it is for a short time you might not have any problems. Any kind of extended storage can effect cloth and wood. As someone said, an indoor environmentally controlled storage area is better for paintings, paper and so forth. I would say that there are many smart storage ideas for using unused areas of a regular house.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Dave Owen

You would be surprised just how much stuff you can store around the house if you really looked. Also, a few modifications to a room could increase storage a fair bit.
                        If you have room for a plan/architects chest (flat drawer type) they can store hundreds of paper based drawings, watercolours (unframed) etc. Not exactly cheap but you can find them for sale secondhand. The cost could be less than the price of a storage unit and you still have it to sell afterwards if you wanted to.
                        Cheap plastic art folders can store a fair few paintings, drawings and could be put on top of or at the back of wardrobes, or even in the space under the bed.

Then there’s the walls of the property if the artworks are already framed.

IN my own studio which is only 12′ x 10′ and is a complete art business in that room I a fair bit of stuff in there (some of which is unrelated to art and not even mine). because I have limited floor space (120 sqft) I needed to find additional space so I created it by doing this (see picture )
                        This part is desk height but with a little storage space underneath.

This is what I created above that area

And that runs all the way around the room (but it is wider in some sections for larger stuffas can be seen here.

That all around the room above head height solution added an additional 50+sqft of storage space. I store cameras, tripods, bubble wrap, packing materials, preped canvases (those in picture are 3 years and counting) etc etc up on them

That may be a little over the top for you as it’s going to be temporary but its a possible way of adding storage without going to offsite storage units. I also have made use of the underside of them by fitting additional lighting (daylight rated) over the painting areas so they actually preform two functions.

As I said it’s worth taking a good hard look around the house to see what possibilities there are in the short term.

Dave Owen.

Nature is the painter,
                        we are simply the scribes who document it
                        for the people of today and the historians of tomorrow. Anon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.