Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2018: optional "small" theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Happy September, everyone! Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life. This month I’m suggesting an optional theme: paintings that feature something small, or paintings that are painted on a small surface. As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” subforum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting a painting or two! Thanks.

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

ronsu18

hi Grotius, thank you for the new thread! the title says august though. can you edit that or do we need a moderator?

such a perfect challenge for september. aiming to start and finish two tiny somethings:crossfingers:

C&C welcome

equinespirit

Do small brushes count? :angel: :lol:

DMArtist7

Posted my final reply at the older thread in case you might have missed it. Anyways, this is a cool topic! Just call for tiny gnats to fly into your canvas and call it done! :lol: Ok, ok, I am just kidding!

I’m hoping to squeeze in something this month, but I have a lot of commissions to do, ouch. I’ll definitely continue to drop by now and then to give my thoughts….. unless you don’t want me to. :lol:

Here’s a perfect quote for ya, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

Cheers and good luck! You can do it! :clap:

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

Dcam
                        Grotius

Thanks for the interest, all! Ronsu, thanks for spotting the typo. Alas, I can’t edit it. Off to seek mod help. :)

- Geoff.

ronsu18

equinespirit, i see your 0 and raise you a 2/0 :D
                                Grotius, one of these days there’s light and it’s about values.
                                best challenge ever. everything was ridiculous from start to finish, couldn’t even choose an angle without looking through a camera, the setup was just – so – right – there!
                                oh, and every time you feel like asking “wh.. tha.. huh..” the answer is “a leaf. it’s a leaf”.

the recipe
                                6″x9″, oil on fabriano oil paper in…. two hours 😎

[ATTACH]859385[/ATTACH]

C&C welcome

Grotius

Ronsu, that’s a really neat painting! Actually, when I first looked at it, I thought it was a picture of a leaf, and I thought the picture had real things on top of it. Maybe I’m crazy, or maybe my mind is hazy today, but I feel your painting has a sort of trompe-l’oeil character. Pretty cool.

I spent yesterday touching up paintings for my show and signing a few I forgot to sign. (It always amazes me how long it takes me to sign a painting.) I’ve still got more to sign today, plus I have several dozen signed paintings ready to varnish. I’m also about to bulk order a few dozen frames. Busy busy. These are all good things to do while it remains way too hot to paint outdoors!

- Geoff.

ronsu18

thank you! i’m still dumbstruck at how difficult absolutely everything was. had no idea i was unable to use yellow. set up a still life. determine a comp up close. to think painting small. this is going to be a good month! good luck where it helps and happy work mood to you!

C&C welcome

equinespirit

Lovely warm colours Ronsu!
                                            I thought it was a mouse at first, in fact I think he’s looking at me :cat:

I have new brushes, riggers and 5/0 s and all sorts of things from Rosemary and co :angel:

I actually want to try some knife work though so that may be my next offering when I can decide what to paint :cool:

ronsu18

thanks!

in fact I think he’s looking at me :cat:

i shall unskew his eyes so that he may. :D

riggers and 5/0 s

eclipsed, you’ve won! this is good news, you’re gearing up for the challenge i hope!

C&C welcome

ronsu18

one of those days. put a lid on, hauled gear out on the yard, painted in my slippers.
                                                    decision making was better the last time, under time pressure. there was light but it did not help values… i gave up on the part down left and the photo made it even worse.
                                                    how would you have painted the background?
                                                    untitled oil on fabriano oil paper 6″x9″

[ATTACH]859428[/ATTACH]

C&C welcome

equinespirit

I would have done the BG with my 5/0 brush :wink2:

I like it as is Ronsu, love those brush strokes on the back petals especially and those beautiful colours on the front.
                                                        I would probably smooth off that sharp brush line top left behind the flower but thats all.

ronsu18

with my 5/0 brush :wink2:

😁 then you can guess why you like the back petals…
                                                            thank you so much! and also thank you for noticing the weird stripe! the photo enhances that but i never reacted to it on cam either. sheesh. well. on to the next!

C&C welcome

AnnieA

Hi everyone!

Ronsu, I especially like the flower painting, and actually, I think the values work pretty well on the flower.

I’ve been swamped and not doing much painting, although I have done a little. So basically I just dropped by because I found an article on a topic we had discussed in the past, whether prices should be indicated on an artist website, and wanted to share it:
                                                                https://fineartviews.com/blog/136862/why-you-need-prices-on-your-art-website

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.