Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Little Russian beauty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

painted from photo. Oil over acrylics on 18 by 24 cheap canvas. I like this one, not sure if it’s because of the colors or what, but I like it.

There can be no creation before imitation.

Love this. Beautiful!!!

equinespirit

Its beautiful ! such vibrant colours !

Thank you….still learning. Never went to school for art so all I can do is pick up bits from here and there.

Constance

Beautiful!

Instagram: unsuspectingstrangers

123harry

You seem to have picked up plenty without art school! Beautifully done. The rich colours are special.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

Nicely done! I love the colours.

bethany
                moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                website www.bethanyart.com
                My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

:thumbsup:very good portrait

critique is welcome
                department of graphite
                limited english :)

Thank you all for taking the time to stop by and leave your kind comments. I stopped painting for over 30 years because another artist (who is well established in the art community) told me a real artist doesn’t work from photos. So I stopped painting because that is the only way I ever painted, or built anything for that matter, is from working from photographs. So, the painting stopped but I continued building things. Now that I am a senior and I happen to live about 200 feet from our town’s senior center I joined the art group there and that is what got me back to painting again as I noticed that the artists there DID work from photos and pictures. I am back to painting again and have been painting with the group for the last 3 years.

Boafamily

Stunning work.

hardmoney

That is beautiful!

PaintBoss

Beautiful indeed.
                            Glad you are back painting again. With your ability it would have been a crying shame if you didn’t paint. It is time to make up for lost time! When we are younger it is easy to be dissuaded by other people with strong opinions. And opinionated folks sometimes forget that their opinions, and comments can have unintended consequences on others.
                            Nothing wrong using photos for references. We can’t always be sitting live in front of a subject for all kinds of reasons. I pay attention to what more masterful artists will say about doing so. Sometimes there are affects from using a camera you may want to be aware of. So if you can make note of the difference between live observations and apply it to your work it can help. There are artists online and threads here that discuss it in more detail.
                            Plus this artist is just one who is a fabulous portrait painter and recognizes that photos can play a part.
                            http://blog.fineartportrait.com/why-is-painting-from-photos-such-a-negative-thing/%5B/URL%5D

~Christine
                            🇨🇦

OziAfricana

This is a lovely painting. I paint from photographs too and have no qualms about doing so. Some posts are not easy to hold for extended periods of time and just imagine trying to get a child in costume to keep still.

Very well done.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home
                                My Blog

Instagram
                                Wassie

This is gorgeous. Why did you choose a cheap canvas? This is a masterpiece.

Beautiful work! Lovely child.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.