Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business shipping art from USA to AUSTRALIA-has anyone experience?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    cuttineagle

Has anyone here ever shipped an original artwork from USA to Australia? What company did you use, which one is the cheapest for a larger piece (20×26 in)? Did it arrive ok to the destination? I was checking on prices and they`re sky high ->scary! I have heard that people in general don`t wanna ship their stuff to Australia.

[FONT=Georgia]Do what you love to do........because that`s what you do best!

Diane Cutter

I’ve shipped one that size to Oz… It wasn’t framed and I sandwiched it between two pieces of plexi cut slightly larger than the stretched canvas. First I wrapped the painting and then taped the plexi on top and bottom. And then wrapped it all in kraft paper, taped well.

It went USPS Priority with no problems. I can’t remember if I insured it or not.

Diane

Well I haven’t not shipped to America to I can tell you some of the services in Australia. Look up Australia Post http://auspost.com.au/internationalpost/index.html as the national posting service. Actually shipping will be the cheapest option rather than courier.

Other courier services you may want to look up:
            Pack and Send -Very expensive

EyeSpy

Ive shipped two 16″x20″, framed (with glass!) prints to New Zealand via USPS Express International. They both arrived in perfect condition, and several days earlier than the delivery estimate.

The shipping boxes were begged from a local furniture store, and were originally created for shipping mirrors. I would have preferred to ship without glass, but the buyers requested it.

I know one artist who recently shipped a large (36x36x6), stretched painting to Australia via USPS Global Express Guaranteed. Her shipment arrived early and undamaged.

USPS offered the best prices I could find, and did a great job. I’d happily ship to NZ again, or to Australia. :)

My Fine Art Prints - Paper, Framed, Canvas, Acrylic, Metal.[/url]
                Website - Information and portfolio.[/URL]

JoyJoyJoy

I have used the US Postal Service Priority Mail several times to Australia with no problems. I believe they are the cheapest, but very large paintings I usually use FedEx for international. USPS has some size restrictions.

Best of luck, Joy

Art is not a thing; it is a way.
                    (Elbert Hubbard)

cuttineagle

I am just afraid to ship the original pastel piece, because I read some rules about shipping to Australia and artwork is listed among restricted items. So I don`t know what to put in the description; whether to risk to lie and say it`s something else or to risk and say it`s art. …???

kiabgoa

I am just afraid to ship the original pastel piece, because I read some rules about shipping to Australia and artwork is listed among restricted items. So I don`t know what to put in the description; whether to risk to lie and say it`s something else or to risk and say it`s art. …???

I ship paintings to Australia fairly frequently and have never had an issue with the paintings getting in. I did a little checking and I’m pretty sure the restrictions of original art into Australia are for heritage listed works usually from certain countries. If you are selling your own work you are not going to run afoul of this, so describe your art accurately. Also, if an item’s value is under $1000 AUD the receiver currently doesn’t have to pay GST on it, so that might be a selling point to Oz buyers for some work. :)

onefinepint

Good to read about everyone’s experience. Tomorrow I’ll be shipping a little oil painting off. My first time to Australia. I listed the item as “Home Decor-Picture.” I have heard calling it art can be tricky. It is just a little 4×6 inch piece valued at $50.00. It will go in a Priority Flat Rate envelope. Hope it travels well. :crossfingers:

cuttineagle

So I did ship it to Australia and it arrived all right to the customer. I put the value on it less then 1,000 AUD so they don`t have to pay the tax on it. I marked it as a gift and in the description I put “matted drawing/picture” rather then “art”. Thank you very much to everyone for help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • The topic ‘shipping art from USA to AUSTRALIA-has anyone experience?’ is closed to new replies.