Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil It’s been a very long time since posting i have a new WIP!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Beeber

Hello All!

It’s been an extremely long time since my last post and my artwork has taken a turn to the surreal. I found portraits too constraining. The WIP is titled “#45” and I also posted a finished surreal pic to show the expected finished quality. As always comments and critiques are welcome I take the words of the artists here very seriously. Thanks!

Beautifully done, you have a very inventive mind.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Beeber

Thanks! I forgot to mention the size it’s 11 x 14 on stonehenge. Here is the update with the flag and shattered earth filled in. The mirror portrait will be gridded off and done in a realistic style. I’m thinking the official “presidential” portrait will go in that mirror to represent the image some media outlets try to portray.

RWSewell

Love your bold graphic approach and vibrant colors. I’ve often considered going a similar route with my work and have made baby steps in that direction. Beautiful work, looks like fun!

Rob

Beeber

Thanks it’s definitely a more rewarding experience! Here is the newest update. I’ve decided on the photo where he is hugging the flag for the image in the mirror. I focused on the mushroom cloud, tooth shadows and more of the flag in this update.

Beeber

Maybe a few comments will roll in with the trump mirror portrait started. I’m struggling on a title. It was for sure going to be “45”, but now I’m debating “Mirror, Mirror” and “Who’s the Fairest”. Any other suggestions would also be helpful.

Pingpongfan

This looks like a fun painting and with a very skilled execution. There is lots of interesting stuff going on. Where do you get your ideas. I could never in my wildest dreams come up with such a fantastical work. I am really enjoying watching this unfold. Thanks for posting.
                            Vena

Beeber

Thanks for the comments Vena! The idea’s are kind of a stream of consciousness after the initial inspiration of a theme. I wanted to start a series of political portraits and I don’t much care for the stereotypical caricature so the result is a series of answers to the question, “why not?” There are no rules, no common light sources, no resource images (except for the trump hugging the flag part), no reasons to not blend one color with another. Once the basic drawing is done each piece is treated as it’s own work of art. My hope is that the final result is an overload of the visual senses. A saturation of color and imagery so in depth that one can’t help but take a step closer to the artwork.

jonc50

Maybe it will be ready for Halloween!

Beeber

It should be ready for Halloween and I Sooooo wish it was just a costume you could take off and be back into the real world. Unfortunately we live in a nation that my wish is not the reality.
                                        This is really the first piece I’ve ever done that feels true for not only the execution but also the intent of the work. It takes an incredible amount of practice to refine colored pencil work to fit the compliment of it being called a “painting”, but to then have a work also show what you truly feel and not just be a photographic representation of a resource image is extremely rewarding.

Beeber

Trump portrait just about done. Still a little work to do on the eye. I’m not super concerned about being absolutely true to the photo ref. Trumps face is only 3 1/2″ by 2 1/2″ on the portrait so at that small of a size I’m ok with a it being a bit “off”.

Beeber

Update time

Boafamily

Lots to take in with this work…nice

Beeber

It’s finished..well pretty much just a bit of blending on the bottom and then spray. And i’ve included the WIP for the next in the series. Thanks for the comments!

laika

Oh, my! I’d call it “Pox Americana,” but that doesn’t acknowledge the mirror aspect. “Eye of the Beholder,” maybe?

You’re in George Grosz territory here. I hope to see more of your surrealist caricatures!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                                                            - Otto Rank

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.