Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Acrylics: Ratio of Paint to Glazing Liquid–x-posted Acrylics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DMSS

For acrylics:

I have read that you should mix 1 to 2 parts paint to 10 parts glazing liquid. Does the ratio vary depending on the pigment? For example, do you use less of pthalo blue than you would of a color with less tinting strength? Does the ratio change if you are using fluid versus heavy body paint?

Also, does it matter whether you glaze with a round or flat brush, or is that a matter of personal preference?

Thanks for your help.

--David

tidal

I am hoping someone will answer this for you I am interested in same thing re the brush I did just that and went with the rules of which brush for what but actualy found that i prefer how some brush manipulate the paint the way i want it and it was not brush suggested so go figure…depends what you want paint to do generaly is synthetic for acrylics rangeing from hairs that will pull an almost thin scraped layer of paint to ones that will lay it on thicker etc.personaly I would be thinking in terms of what i want the paint to do .The flat is going to give more angular straight lines edges and shorter brush is more controll round is more about blending wet on palete or canvas ..but could be good for rounded edges…will be watching thread as am doing same as you :)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

DMSS

I cross-posted this thread in the acrylics forum and some answers were given there.

--David

Patrick1

If the acrylic medium/liquid is one that can be used in any proportions, then just add the right amount of paint to it to get the color strength you want. So yes…you’d use less Phthalo Blue than another weaker blue, for example.

A good rule to always remember is to start with the weaker color (or medium) first, and add the stronger color to it in small increments so that you don’t overshoot.

In the good (artist-grade) brands, fluids and heavy body acrylics have similar pigment levels, thus tinting strength. So I’d imagine you’d use roughly similar amounts of paint vs. medium. But there is always some trial & error involved.

Glazing is usually done with a wide flat, soft brush for evenness…but no reason you can’t try other brush shapes.

BTW I recently got Golden Gloss Glazing Liquid and it’s good stuff…it can keep the paint workable for hours, depending on how much you use.

DMSS

Thank you, Patrick. Someone recommended Golden’s Acrylic Glazing Liquid Satin, and I have been using it and like it. For a very fast drying glaze Liquitex’s glazing medium works well but it is very glossy.

--David

tidal

yes was recomended to me also..and what I find exciting is that it 100% acrylic pollmer can be mixed with house paints also for fine art so increase the scope of color maybe..hoping it’s ingredients will mean no change in color

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Patrick1

Clear acrylic mediums are usually milky when wet but dry clear. They won’t change the final color – other than differences caused by changing the gloss level; more glossy = deeper (more saturated) color.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.