Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Fran – From Life with Studio Refinement (X-Posted on Figure Forum)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michaelmcg

I’ve done loads of portrait sketches from life this year. Sometimes, if I like what I’ve done, I do some further refinement in the studio. I did this one of our sitter, Fran, at our weekly portrait club last Thursday morning. About two hours from life and then probably as long again in the studio with a good photo reference. It’s oil on 16″ x 12″ MDF Board.

Michael

Loretta7

Very beautifully done. Details are perfect.

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

carolkay

Marvelous job Michael …. all yr practice has payed off ….

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success

A really natural look, Michael- great to see your work again!

bethany
                moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                website www.bethanyart.com
                My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

Michaelmcg

Very beautifully done. Details are perfect.

Thanks Loretta.

Michael

Michaelmcg

Marvelous job Michael …. all yr practice has payed off ….

Thanks Carol. Yes, I can definitely see a lot of improvement this year. I just need to speed up so I can get more done from life.

Michael

Michaelmcg

A really natural look, Michael- great to see your work again!

Thanks Bethany.

Michael

123harry

Excellent portrait. Lovely pastel tones.

C&C always welcome.
                                Instagram harry.hamill

Boafamily

Nice color balance.

STIV

To my feelings color schema is restricted and romantic. I suspect aye glasses contribute to that and also the posture of a man who is looking upwards gives an idealistic tone. Blue is the color of the sky and evokes a dreamy feeling to the picture!
                                        I really want to copy that posture and i wish i could.

Great work. I liked the composition.

Michaelmcg

Excellent portrait. Lovely pastel tones.

Thanks Harry.

Michael

Michaelmcg

Nice color balance.

Thanks Anthony. Working from life helps in that regard.

Michael

Michaelmcg

To my feelings color schema is restricted and romantic. I suspect aye glasses contribute to that and also the posture of a man who is looking upwards gives an idealistic tone. Blue is the color of the sky and evokes a dreamy feeling to the picture!
                                                    I really want to copy that posture and i wish i could.

Thanks STIV. The “colour scheme” is purely as observed. My portrait group use a cool single light source (much like North light from a roof window). This results in relatively cool pinks in the lit side of the face, with much warmer browns on the shadow side. I usually ask our sitter to look upwards a little – I think it makes them look relaxed and contemplative. The slant of the head is largely accidental. We have a high backed chair and we ask our sitters to settle in and rest their heads against the back if it feels more comfortable for them. In practice, our older sitters tend to do so, because people of my vintage and older have weaker neck muscles than we used to have!

Michael

Michaelmcg

Great work. I liked the composition.

Thanks Moises.

Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.