Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera -NSFW- Gouache on wood experiment

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Trond

Hi folks!
        I have rarely posted anything here. In fact, I rarely finish anything, due to my impatience, often using oils and then losing inspiration, or just being plain too busy. I was also tired of trying to imitate nature too much, so lately I have been sketching from imagination a bit more, and being inspired from old book illustrations etc. Yesterday I thought that I should give that board that I prepped with a grey casein ground a try. I just started drawing on the board, mostly free fantasy, but the pose is loosely based on a model reference book. I then went over the drawing with a casein wash (to “fix” it), and the rest is done in gouache.

So, it’s gouache on wood (casein ground). Not sure if it is 100% finished (maybe I will fix the hair a bit, and the water), but I doubt I will do much more.

Delofasht

Fantastic, I could see calling it done, no shame in that, it’s very well handed overall, I really like the strong pattern of light and dark on the figure. The dreamlike quality and graphic appeal of the rest is quite good too. Good work, maybe this is an approach you could do more frequently, the results seem good to me.

- Delo Delofasht
            Trond

Fantastic, I could see calling it done, no shame in that, it’s very well handed overall, I really like the strong pattern of light and dark on the figure. The dreamlike quality and graphic appeal of the rest is quite good too. Good work, maybe this is an approach you could do more frequently, the results seem good to me.

Thank you! :)

The only thing I would work a tiny bit more would be the shaded side of the moon. It could be a bit more homogeneous

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Trond

The only thing I would work a tiny bit more would be the shaded side of the moon. It could be a bit more homogeneous

Right you are. I was unsure how to do it, so maybe I should have looked at some photos :)

Boafamily

I love the composition and the figure is beautifully done my friend.

Trond

I love the composition and the figure is beautifully done my friend.

Thank you!

JoL56

Very good!

Joachim

Trond

Thanks again for the feedback. Finally had the time to paint again. Here’s another one that is almost finished. Sorry, not a great photo.

That one is already looking better. THe environment and atmosphere are better suited for the strong blocky shadow approach you use.

The color combination is better as well.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Sonia
                                      Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.