Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Petro Mantis aka Claim Jumper

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

“Petro Mantis (Petromutatus mantidae)”

The Petro Mantis (Petromutatus mantidae), also known as Pipeline Mantis, is one of the more exotic-looking members of the Petromutatus genus. The Petro Mantis was discovered in Mexico by Pemex employees inspecting an oil pipeline near Xalapa, Veracruz. It is considered an invasive pest species by oil companies because it damages pipelines and robs them of substantial product. For this reason, oil executives often refer to large swarms of this creature as “Claim Jumpers.”

This mantis-like “petrosect,” thought to be a mutated remnant species of the extinct praying mantis and/or grasshopper, uses its powerful claws–capable of clamping pressures up to 30,000 psi–to grasp onto and puncture pipelines up to 36 inches in diameter. It sucks oil through a long proboscis that also injects a highly corrosive substance similar to nitric acid. Mature specimens can reach lengths up to 9 feet and are capable of consuming as much as 12 barrels of oil per day (bopd).

Like most petromutants, the Petro Mantis has a robust metabolism and can also handle natural gas pipelines–even butanes, pentanes, and heptanes. Excess gases are flared through four rudimentary “spinestacks” along the creature’s back.

This species is sometimes referred to as “Metallurgist’s Nightmare” because it wreaks havoc on pipelines, and no exotic pipeline alloys have been developed by perplexed metallurgists that can withstand its powerful claws and the corrosive effects of its proboscis. These petromutants roost and nest around pipeline compressor stations. Their droppings are highly corrosive and cause damage to safety relief valves and compressors.

The Petro Mantis is common along the Texas-Mexico border, particularly in the Rio Grande Valley. It prefers a subtropical climate, but its range is rapidly expanding into the U.S., and substantial swarms have been reported as far north as Wichita, Kansas.
    —————

{No. 3 in my Mutagenesis–A Field Guide to the Petromutants of Texas series of hypothetical creatures of the future that thrive in oil-rich environments. My environmental spoof of the fossil fuel industry. Illustrated with one-off weathervanes sculpted in pure copper & silver.}

www.davidsmithart.com

ArtsyLynda

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Very intriguing and a movie could be made around this as a main character. :thumbsup: The detail is evident down to fine little swirls. How did you sculpt this with copper and silver? Did you cast a mold and cast it in copper and silver?

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Thank you. It’s made from hammered sheet copper, brazed with a silver alloy.

www.davidsmithart.com

DaneelOlivaw

I rapidly find myself becoming a HUGE fan of yours…

Everything, Everything I’ve seen of yours is awesome.

Neither mistake beauty for goodness, nor courtesy for weakness.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.