WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 04:27 AM

Smile Re: Been approached by a publisher - don't know what to make of it.

Hello

I’m Michelle one of the founders of Crooks Press, I found your post online and I’d like to respond.

We are a small, independent business originally from Melbourne, Australia. We started our career as freelance designers and the publishing company was created in part after we were approached by a number of artist directories. After looking at their product and delivery, we thought we could do it better (and we think we do!) We started the business from home in 2015, and every day since then we’ve been working on how to make it better for the creatives and business we work with. We’re also proud to donate 100% of proceeds from book sales to Book Aid International

For those that don’t know, a creative directory is a publication featuring a selection of artists and designers working in a specific creative discipline. Creative directories are commonly sent to a range of businesses, agencies and brands for free to use as a resource to use to hire external creatives. As the potential clients receive the books free of charge, the production and publication costs are offset by the payment the artist makes to be included in the publication. This is common practice in the industry and other creative directory titles include Luerzers Archive and Workbook.

We take immense pride in the crafting our publications. All Capsules books are hardback directories printed on FSC certified paper stock and housed within a slipcase incorporating foil stamping or embellishments and delivered in bespoke branded mailer packaging. We’ve spent A LOT of time on this, and we think it’s totally worth it - as creatives we know, appearance is everything!

Head over to our website or our Instagram to see testimonials from the creatives we have featured in our books speak for themselves in regard to their experiences and how they have professionally benefitted.

Whilst you’re here - I’d also like to let you know about our range of free artist creative resources including vector and texture packs which you can download with no obligation! They are completely free of charge for you to use commercially and we offer a new pack every month to download. You can access these here: https://capsulesbook.com/resources

Follow us on Instagram @capsulesbook to join the community.

Thanks!
Michelle
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Edinburgh

Hails from Scotland
Re: Been approached by a publisher - don't know what to make of it.

I got one of these types of things through instagram from an art magazine which basically said "we've selected you for our competition, please respond with money and some examples of your work". Needless to say I binned that. A good rule of thumb for the art world that I go by is that if I'm the one having to pay, then it's a bad deal.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2018, 06:49 PM
Somewhere over the Rainbow...

Hails from United States

It could be bait. It might not be bait. And I might not even be the best person to reply to this because I have no experience in this field. But I would weigh my options carefully and do some research on the company, and possibly even ask some of the artists who have been involved with this particular publishing company what they think I should do. Hope this helps!
~Harmony24
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 PM

I got something vaguely similar to this thread.

Is this a scam?

My name is Karen, I represent Capsules Book, a premium boutique publisher. We produce creative directories and arts publications to showcase the portfolio highlights of the world’s leading artists and designers.

We were really impressed with your portfolio of work which we discovered via: .... We would like to invite you to participate in our upcoming publication, Drawn Volume.3, Leaders In Contemporary Illustration.

We created this webpage for you to find out more about Drawn Volume.3.
capsulesbook.com/drawn-v3-info

Please also join our community on Instagram via: @capsulesbook

If you would like to know more information about our publication service fees to participate in Drawn Volume.3, please let me know and I will be more than happy to provide you with further information.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:57 PM
Gdansk

Hails from Poland

Either way, I wouldn't risk it. I don't think that this is the oportunity of a lifetime and also recommend to play safe in this case.