Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical The Plant Parade, a forum Project: June 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    marionh
        Welcome to the June Plant Parade[/SIZE] :clap:
        After the curves and swaying of last month’s challenge, what else can we do except go CUBIST.

And the stars of this month are LILIES
        Asian lilies, stargazer lilies, trumpet lilies and day lilies to be precise.

Braque and Picasso were, of course, the innovators of this style with its flat perspective and looking at the subject from different viewpoints.

Here is the wiki link

Think dark against light for plane changes, flat perspective, deconstruction. Do one lily or several, or place them in a vase – but the main thing is to enjoy yourself.

Earn extra Brownie points and use two mediums you don’t normally use together e.g. watercolour and pastel, acrylic and collage etc (pen and wash counts as one:D ).

Here are a couple of still life examples
        http://www.sixvines.com/art-trend?item_id=1788&storeinfo=catalog
        http://fineartamerica.com/featured/my-love-affair-with-art-natalie-l.html
        I’ve tried to find some floral examples, but without a lot of success – so we will be innovators. PS if anyone finds a suitable link, please post for all to see.

Any medium, naturally and any size!

Reveal date is June 25th. . .no sooner!

The object is to have fun!! Now, create a piece of art you may not have thought of doing before![/CENTER]

HERE COME THE IMAGES

MORE TO COME

C&C always wanted and thanks for looking. Marion
        ArtbyMarion Website...Art of Flowers Blog
        My Etsy

marionh

Something for everyone I hope :wave:

My Etsy

Marion, a style I would have never tried, thanks!! I have been looking around at your sites and trying to make heads and tails about the style and found some interesting info, thanks!! Now to decide which is heads and which is tails! :D I am certainly IN!!

This should make a great Garden when we are finished!!

Thanks for hosting, Marion!!

Katherine

Reference Image Library
            Posting Guidelines & Other Info HERE
            WATERCOLOR HANDBOOK

Wow so beautiful Marion and thank you for hosting :)
            It’s 25th June right not May?

noodle1

Hi Marion..first off thank you for hosting, second holy cow!!! LOL
                I’m thinking, I’m thinking..haha Beautiful photos. I have this Stargazer photo that might be a nice addition if you don’t mind, but if ya don’t want it don’t hesitate to remove it. Thought it might work since it’s kind of head on..haha fingers crossed it’s not my only contribution..:eek: I’m so not good at modern art but I’ll try.

Hugs,
                Elaine

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][FONT=Arial Narrow]Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. André Gide Forum Projects: Plant Parade projects in
                Florals/Botanicals,
                Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.

Very interesting challenge Marion! I used to do a lot of fractured images work, lots of fun, and most of them very saleable. One method I like to use is to use line to draw all different size rectangles or circles AFTER you have your normal drawing done, then treat each little area as its own painting with of course varied color and value. It is lots of planning but very worth it to do this style of cubism.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

cem

Interesting. I’ve never been a big fan of cubism, but what the heck, anything is worth a try. I just might like it:) Great photos BTW

Cindy
                    "Earth laughs in flowers."
                    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Kay, would you show us an example, please?

Katherine

Reference Image Library
                    Posting Guidelines & Other Info HERE
                    WATERCOLOR HANDBOOK

marionh

Thanks whoever changed the date. You’d never guess I use to do a lot of proof reading in a former life :lol:

Kay, that’s the type of thing. I had also read a description that says to draw the object, then either move or turn it and redraw it from that angle, do this a couple of time and then as you said, treat each cross over space separately. Love to see an example of your work. I suppose the trick is not to get too busy, and maybe join a few of the resulting spaces. This is a first for me, so I’ll be learning with the rest of you.

Elaine, beautiful image. Fits perfectly, thanks.

My Etsy

eyepaint

ohmygoodness!

Thank you, Kay, for an explanation/how-to :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

OMGoodness too!
                            I find Cubism difficult, so this will be a -s-t-r-e-t-c-h :eek:

Another good challenge for us Marion – thank you (I think!!!)

I do hope people read the challenge fully and get some attempt at Cubism included!

Kay – thank you for the info you’ve suggested – good idea:D

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

ullahennig

These flower photos are beautiful! But to paint/draw them in a cubistic style – wow, what a challenge! I think I will first immerse into the world of cubism, thus get some inspiration (I hope so) and then have a go. *slightly shuddering*

Ulla
                                --------------------
                                http://art-and-experiments.blogspot.de/

Margaretta

Gorgeous pictures and great idea. I do not understand Cubism at all but will have a try, do some research and smiled at the thought of Picasso’s ‘Femme Fleur!’ Do google it and just imagine…all sorts of things may turn up on the floral thread to boggle other groups this month! It could be a very interesting gallery with lots of bottom signs!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Through striving, to the stars.:confused:

marionh

Glad you are all joining in the party. I can hear those brain cells whirling away from here.:lol: :thumbsup:

My Etsy

bluefish

It’s easy ladies……stand in front of that full length mirror with a ‘tiger lily’ between your teeth and if you see FLAT, paint away……go get em Elaine……:music:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 223 total)
                                          • The topic ‘The Plant Parade, a forum Project: June 2012’ is closed to new replies.