Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil paint pen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SSB

Anyone know of a pen that uses oil paint instead of ink? Thanks!

Toril

Oh, I was so disappointed – I thought you were going to tell us about something new and exciting I could spend money on! ;)

Dave Johnson

Michael’s web site list 14 different colors of Sharpie oil based pens. I’m sure there are many other sources.

"A bold failure is better than a timid semi-success." John Howard Sanden

Perry Johnson

I just tried a couple of these Montana Acrylic Refillable Pens with oils and it seems to work just fine. I diluted the paint to ink consistency first.
                    http://www.utrechtart.com/Montana-Acrylic-Empty-Refillable-Paint-Marker-MP79278-i1017150.utrecht

Toril

Perry, what did you dilute with? This is an intriguing option for sketching on canvas.

Perry Johnson

I diluted with 50% M. Graham Walnut Alkyd and 50% Gamsol.

alhajri

I wish for a product like that. But the closest I’ve used was “Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Premium Oil-Based Colored Pencil” you can blend the color after laying it down. http://www.dickblick.com/items/22049-0729

And, the Winsor & Newton Oilbars, though not as thin as pens :)
                                http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-artists-oilbars/

Kal

moebean

Perry- The Montana Refillable pens, how are they washed? I can’t imagine trying to get all the oil out to re-use w/ a different color….do Love the possibilities here though as I do some figurative sketches in oil and need to rely on a very steady hand and complete control of the brush! ~moe

evan3585

I wish for a product like that. But the closest I’ve used was “Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Premium Oil-Based Colored Pencil” you can blend the color after laying it down. [url]http://www.dickblick.com/items/22049-0729[/url]

Those seem very interesting to play with:)Not for $96.95 though lol. Prob smaller sets somewhere. Wonder if they blend like oil and if it needs drying time. Im sure it does sense it says oil-based but not sure if its a fast dry medium or what.

alhajri

I should have linked the page with all the sets. There are over 30 reviews comparing it with oil paint. Here it is: http://www.dickblick.com/products/lyra-rembrandt-polycolor-premium-oil-based-colored-pencil-sets/

Some people have used oil paint mediums with them like Liquin. I think I’ll try regular linseed and Liquin too.

Kal

Perry Johnson

Regarding the Montana refillable pens, I haven’t tried changing colors and I don’t plan to. The felt tip material will likely retain some pigment even if washed with mineral spirits. I plan on just refilling with the same or similar color.

lsiqueiros

Hi Perry, I was wondering if you are still using your montana pens with oil paint and how has that worked….I am very interested in using a pen on top of my oil paint…Any feedback would be very helpful. Thanks!…..:)

Barbareola

I don’t know anything about oil paint pens, but Sennelier produces a line of oil paint sticks. They come in different sizes and looks a bit like oil pastels. According to Sennelier, you can mix them with normal oil paints.

I haven’t tried them though, so I can’t say if they are any good.

AnnieA

I don’t have time to research the products mentioned above, but I thought I should add a cautionary note. That is, just because a product is labeled as an oil pen, doesn’t mean it is the right thing to use under regular oil paint. That’s because it could be a drying oil (OK) or it could be a non-drying oil (not OK). If the product is made with a non-drying oil, as oil pastels are, the integrity of subsequent oil paint layers would be put at risk.

I think the Sennelier oil sticks are fine (but not Sennelier oil pastels).

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                            [FONT=Palatino]
                                                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

troutbum

Sharpie and Deco have oil paint pens in a variety of colors. And Molotow has acrylic paint pens in many colors. Blick Art Materials carries all these brands.
                                                                troutbum

[FONT=Times New Roman]troutbum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Oil paint pen’ is closed to new replies.