WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: Macaw-Wip (First coloured piece)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ahmed
Thanks Rich!

I got asked by someone to do a wildlife commission for them of a giraffe. I normally charge £50 but they said £15 which is about $20. I told them I put to much work into it for that much so I unfortunately said no to them. Do you think I should have took that offer as I am still a beginner ??

Hope you like it.

NO WAY! I bet you spend over 20-50 hours on each board... would you work for $0.50 to $1 an hour for your regular job?? I think not! I think 50 euro is way too low even. You have explain the vast time involved (not even including the cost of the board, which I know you have to pay extra shipping to get overseas). I think even as a beginner you should not be charging less than $200-400 for your work! This is a niche market and education about the time involved is very important. You may be new at the medium, but this does not mean you are lacking skills. Your newest works have been top notch! This piece is looking superb too. Plus once you do one piece for such a low price- if he tells his friends then you will be trapped into doing other pieces for the same price.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Lord of the Arts
Long Beach, CA

Hails from United States

I agree with Cathy. Thats just too low for your work. I'm loving these macaws.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Mascouche, Qc

Hails from Canada

I agree with Cathy too.

About prices...
For my part, with the cardboard material I sell a 8X10 80$ CAD ( 1$ CAD = 0,94 US$) and a comission of 3 dog (8x10) for 50$ each (for the same breeder). Price of this material... 4$ for a 24x30po uncut (or something like this). At the end of 2009 I was thinking to increased to 100$ for a 8x10 but I change material for ampersand wich is more professionnal, increased cost and need more time by adding ink. I was thinking to start with my dalmatian (11x14 wich cost 20$ plus the ink...) at 200$. At this price I almost think it's a low price... I'll probably increased to 250$ soon.
I consider myself as a beginner too but for the time we spend on this art, the price must shows.

I know, it was hard for me too to understand the value of my art. Some people told me I was to expensive and others not enough... The ones who think it's too expensive don't know the value and won't spend more than 50$ just for an artwork, decorativ stuff. They will prefer prints of an artwork...

So, I think you should review your price list.

Really nice work on the Macaws and your blue feathers look great so far.

www.mtphoto-art.com
Facebook: Maxime Thiffault-Scratchbordiste
Maxime Thiffault, SSA
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Ennis, Mt. USA

Hails from United States

Cathy said exactly what I thought when I saw what you were charging and asked to charge. NO WAY ! Please listen to her advice. Your skill level and the time involved demand that you charge what your work is worth. This is not gouging. Oh course you are a beginner and have to get your name known. But don't underprice yourself. Like Cathy said, you wouldn't work for .50 cents or $1.00 an hr.
Bonnie
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Vibank SK CANADA

Hails from Canada

First off, this board just keeps getting better and better!

I, too, would like to echo Cathy and the others "NO WAY!" to that low of a price.

I know prices differ from country to country, even region to region, but 10 years ago when I first started out in scratchboard I was charging $2.00 (Canadian) per square inch, so a 5 x 7 inch board would have cost $75.00. And I say the following with complete honesty: my early boards weren't half as good as your "beginner" boards. Don't sell yourself short.

Pricing art is difficult and pricing scratchboard can be even worse. The standard practice/advice is to start with research: go to as many art galleries in your region as you can and look at work with similar subject matter, size, and medium as your work. And then consider the education/training, expertise, exhibition history, and name recognition of the artist. When you've looked at enough similar art in your area you'll have a range of prices, and if you're a newbie artist, you make your prices somewhere near the low end of the range.

The problem with this advice is, of course, the part about "medium". Because scratchboard is so unique, it's unlikely that you'll come across another scratchboard artist in your region, let alone enough of them to calculate a range of prices.

When I first started pricing my work I checked out the local galleries. After I'd gone to a few I came to the conclusion that, at least in my region, scratchboard work likely couldn't command the same price as an oil painting, but I thought I could price it higher than a watercolour, which put it in about the same range as a comperable size acrylic painting. I used that as a starting point for my first price list.

There are a number of helpful articles online with advice about pricing your work, here are links to a few of my favourites from ArtBusiness.com
Art Prices - Price Your Art Realistically http://www.artbusiness.com/pricerealistic.html
How to Price Your Art - More About Art Prices http://www.artbusiness.com/pricetipscont.html
Pricing Your Art: Making Fine Line Price Distinctions http://www.artbusiness.com/pricepoints.html

- Tania

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I absolutely agree with Cathy...Newbie or not you are doing wonderful work.. Good for you for saying no to the commission. Do not give you work away.

BTW...Seems to me it wasn't all that long ago I was giving Cathy the same advice!

Actually, it really ticks me off that someone would try and dicker with you on a price...they have some nerve. I wonder how they'd feel if someone offered them less for their work??

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

There is always someone, usually a friend willing to disrespect your work by asking you to do a piece for them at a ridiculous price. Think a minute, how much will that same person pay for a tee shirt, a belt, a pair of shoes that they will wear for one or two seasons, for that matter what will they pay for photo to be enlarged and framed? How much do they pay for a handiman. I pay $12 an hour and usually have to be right there to supervise, and often to correct the person. My point is value your art appropriately. Both for the time spent and the talent expressed. I compared galleries and set my prices for my pastels and oils. I doubled and in some cases tripled those prices for the same size sb because so much more goes into my sb pieces. I sell about 75% of my work in all mediums. Normally I raise my prices each year by 5% to 10%. In the current recession I have maintained my prices, lowering them only at tent shows.
Sorry to be lengthty but its a pet peeve that so many artists undervalue and underprice their work thus bringing down the market for everyone. One of your 8x10s should go for no less than $300 to $350 USDs.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Irfan, I charge AU$ (which is almost the same as US$) 500 for an 8" x 10". If that's too much, I keep it. If I end up with too many, I'd rather leave them to my kids than sell them too cheap. I'd like to get them higher than that but it doesn't work where I am, but $500 minimum. That's probably 220 pounds or so.

Well done for turning them down!!!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I can't help you with pricing but you definitely need to understand that your work is really very good and should be priced fittingly. I'm like Patrick, if they don't want to pay the price I am happy to keep it.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Thanks everyone for your help and advice and also your great comments!

I really was unsure as to what I should charge for a commission. So I have put up the price to £100 first and see where I go from there.

I really should start advertising my work more.

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Another little update, I have added a few feathers here and there. I am going slow and steady with this. I just love doing feathers

Think am gonna scratch the rest black and white and then add colour.

All C&Cs are welcome and thanks for looking.

Hope you like it.

#72   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03ahmed
I just love doing feathers
Don't we all

Good to see you're having fun with it too

Great update
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

this is going to be stunning when it is completed!

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

You are doing a wonderful job with this. Feathers were made for scratching.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast
Somewhere on Lake Simcoe

Hails from Canada

The colors are coming along great, Irfan. I really like the detail on their faces as well.