WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland
Need some help and advice please

Hi everyone am just wondering can any of you give me some advice on how to do commissions as in pet portraits for other people. I mean how would you go about it as in the advertising and how much someone starting out should charge people??

Thanks

03ahmed
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Immortalized
North/Central Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada
Re: Need some help and advice please

I would keep in mind who your customer is and keep the prices low enough that you can get your art out there! Your not going to make a lot of money to start with. If you can cover the costs of time and materials your doing good. Some artists charge per inch others just do hourly wage plus cost of materials. But you have to factor in the market and what people want to pay for a relatively unknown artist. You don't want to set prices too high and not sell anything.
Once things start selling and you start making a name for yourself then people will pay more! There will be a tipping point eventually where you can raise your prices to what you think is fair and people will pay it! But that takes time and marketing!
I would start by doing portraits for friends and family...then hopefully word of mouth will kick in and you'll get some work. I might approach places like SPCA or the like and donate a picture for fundraising, after you may get the odd portrait but you name will be out there and that's what you need. There really is no speedy way of doing it.....well if there is I missed the Bus! There really are few guarantee's in life and this avenue is one where you better darn well enjoy the process.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2009, 05:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Another thing ...make up some flyers...nothing too fancy, just on the computer...have a portrait of an animal you've done along with your contact info (and website if you have one) and take it your local Veterinary, store bulletin boards, etc.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

often times local vet clinics are also happy to hang your art on thier wall, enabling you to help them decorate as well as good promotion for you. Feed stores and pet stores may let you do this too.

Be aware that you will often be provided with less than ideal photos and people will expect you to play God (make him look younger, older, darker, thinner, with this toy in his mouth, the body from one photo and head from another, etc.) for their portrait. They can be very rewarding, but also hold lots of challenges.

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!

Last edited by Crias : 06-29-2009 at 04:19 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Scotland

Thanks for your great advice Pamela, Lorna and Cathy. My aunt also said that I can advertise in her gift shop as well hope I get a commission soon.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Orlando, Florida

Hails from United States

Another good place to "decorate the walls" and get your work, cards, and flyers out there is a Groomer. Usually people who really love and care about their pets will have them groomed often and pay the price. Get acquainted with some locally. Good luck. It can be rewarding.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

Also feed stores and look for dog shows or other animal shows.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.