WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee

Newbie 101

Greetings All!

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks or so, absolutely captivated by the stunning and beautiful work you create. I am an absolute total novice (and have no art training), so please forgive me asking such an elementary question.

Since I hope to start my first scratch in the near future, my first question is...do most of you transfer your image to scratchboard using a black graphite paper? I know Cathy mentioned that in the tutorial in the Animals/Wildlife section (which I thought was a superb and very helpful intro, by the way! ). I have seen WIPs and other tutorials where people use such things as white charcoal pencil? I know there's always individual preference - but just curious what you all use to transfer to board, presuming the substance comes off fairly easily.

Thanks so much!
ginny
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Newbie 101

Welcome Ginny!! I don't know what everyone else uses, but I do use the graphite transfer paper for my drawings. It works well for me. Have fun!!

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

On smaller ones. I even just run a pencil on the back of the drawing to transfer. Pretty easy. I have used chalk. I think I like the pencil better.

Please feel welcome to our little playground!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Welcome!

The are two kinds of wax free white graphite transfer paper out there that I have used. My favorite is Chacopaper (I get it a Michael's Arts and Crafts)...it goes on easy and stays on unless you want to remove it with a damp cloth or brush. A close second to that is Saral which is sold at Blick's.

I tried chalk and soft pastel but find they rub off too easily.

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee

Greg, Rod-man and Lorna - Thank you SO MUCH for your replies! I guess it's just like anything, you have to experiment and find what works best with you, but I very much appreciate these tips and specific names/brands, etc. (We just got a new new Michael's here, Lorna, so I'll look for the Chacopaper). I tend to really 'read up' and study about strategies/tips before trying a new skill and just need take the leap and start!

Thanks again and I really love viewing your beautiful work!
ginny
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

The way I transfer is completely unconventinal. Photoshop cs and your printer and poster board work beautiful for transfering your image on to white claybord. Check out this youtube demo. http://www.youtube.com/DonnaRaeSmugmug

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't Know, and the more I realize I may never know. But the one thing I do know is I am addicted to creating art.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2008, 12:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

I'm the dodo among the group. I just draw freehand on the board with a pencil, sometimes a white coloured pencil but mostly just a normal graphite one. Do I make mistakes? Hell yeah! But never fatal so I'm happy doing it this way.

By the way, what you can't remove with an eraser generally vanishes under a coat of varnish or even fixative.

Last edited by PatrickHedges : 08-27-2008 at 12:02 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2008, 02:44 AM
A Local Legend
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

I must be blind - I can't see it on the black unless it's white. I use white color pencil, but that wipes off under my glove. So I mostly use saral paper.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Southfield, Michigan

Hails from United States

Welcome Ginny!

I tried the old white chalk on the back of a drawing and using that as a means to transfer the image to the board by tracing over the drawing but I had a tendency to eventually wear away the lines so I started to do my drawings on just plain paper then laying that over clayboard and thne retracing the image using a red ballpoint pen (to tell which lines I've already gone over - remember my attention deficit issue LOL) then that usually leavse a slight enough impression on the soft clayboard for me to begin scratching!

Again welcome aboard and can't wait to se what you produce!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee

Hi Everyone - Just want to thank everyone who responded with tips and strategies for transferring drawings to board. I'm a little embarrassed asking about something so basic, but this is all new territory for me. I'll definitely try some of these approaches and see what best fits my idiosyncracies.

DonnaRae - I marveled at watching your work on youtube!

Again, thanks all for your replies!
ginny