Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Small Portable or Rechargeable Inexpensive Airbrush Brand Recommendations?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    AnArtist123

I am just getting into alcohol inks and was interested in using an airbrush spraying nothing but air. Easier than blowing with a straw for blowing alcohol ink flowers etc.

I really don’t want a large or noisy compressor. My needs are simple and my work and storage space are on the small side.

I am looking for a brand recommendation for a small air brush. Either the portable rechargeable “can” style OR the small square compressor which plugs in and has the gun attached to a tube.

There are a bunch of these airbrushes listed on Amazon. Reviews on some are all over the place. Some of the small compressors use standard fittings and may be able to use a different brand gun on the small compressor.

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with any of the following brands:

Brands on Amazon:
        Gocheer (both single action, hand held canister style and the dual action compressor box with hose)
        RoadTec (single action canister)
        FATUXZ
        Master Brush (cake decorating)
        Royal Max
        TINGPO
        VIVOHOME
        F2C
        Other?

Advice and experience on what small airbrush works best is welcome!

AnArtist123

Ended up going with the Gocheer Mini Compressor. Seems to work fine. The small square box compressor looks a lot like the other Chinese mini compressors. While this type of compressor is less powerful than the larger full size compressors they are small and compact and typically less expensive than more powerfull compressors.

Here’s a few things I discovered while researching which type/brand to buy that might be helpful to those looking to buy this type of airbrush:

Human beings are capable of blowing air through a straw at an average rate of 1.3 PSI. Trumpet players exceed the average air blowing rate at 1.9 PSI.
            If you are using an airbrush to replace trying blow air through a straw either of the following styles of mini airbrushes should work. The mini compressors should work fine for alcohol ink and lighter weight water based media. If you are trying to push heavier types of paint these units may not be powerful enough to do the job. The full sized air compressor based units have up to 70-90 PSI and may be more suited for heavier jobs.

Some units specify that they use standard connectors for the airbrush gun, so swapping the airbrush gun for another type or brand is possible.

Cannister Style:
            Pros: Rechargeable, battery style so no power or cables are needed to use.
            The airbrush gun is attached directly to the cannister, so no tubes.
            Will run about 30-55 minutes on one charge.
            Apparently there is no need to let the unit cool after running for 30 minutes as with the mini compressor.
            Lightweight

Cons: Limited to about 15-17 PSI max
            Takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to recharge.
            Best for the battery to let it recharge fully and not use plugged in while recharging.
            Have to hold the small canister with the Airbrush mounted on top – may or may not be an issue for some.
            May vibrate some in the hand when running – which may or may not be an issue.

Mini Compressor Style:
            Pros: Stronger compressor with 15-25 PSI max. 25 PSI max is typical
            No need to recharge since it runs off the wall plug adapter.
            Only have to hold the airbrush “gun” in your hand while working.
            No potential vibration issues as with the cannister.

Cons: Requires power from wall plug.
            Power cable is relatively short.
            Cables and tubes may be in the way in tight quarters.
            Instructions state that you must turn the compressor off after running 30 minutes to allow the compressor to cool.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.