Home Forums The WetCanvas! Galleria Open Critique Forum WIPs (Works in Progress) Zero experience, second effort

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bobbybirds

Hey everyone,

This is a very difficult thing for me to do. I am 48 and have never made art of any form in my life but over the last few years I have been craving to learn some way of being expressive. I finally conquered my fear of attempting something and with a hobnob collection of old cheap brushes and oil paints I decided I was going try.

I really have nothing to go on but reading a couple books and lurking here on the forums so please understand I know this is probably in the running for worst painting of the year but I honestly don’t mind. I really am looking to learn and improve as I go so I was hoping you might all be able to check this WIP out and maybe give me a bit of an idea of what aspects might be even somewhat going in the right direction and what is horribly wrong. I am not going for realism (obviously) but more just hoping for it to be a bit interesting and understandable if that makes any sense. I may be new but I have always had big shoulders and can take harsh critcism in life so feel free not to sugar coat anything! My feelings won’t get hurt.

Anyhow, this is a view I pass every day on my way to work in the morning. I took a picture to use as a bit of reference and am going off that. It is oil on a hardboard back canvas in 11×14. I hope some of you will be willing to let me hear it… Thanks!

Winter guy

What do you have to be afraid of. This is pretty good. Are you trying to get a
            3d effect with the clouds. Looks like the paint is pretty thick. It all depends on what style you are trying to create. You might want to watch some of the videos of Michael James Smith. They are on youtube. May not be the style you want but is helpful. I’d say you are on the right track but you need to find your style whether impressionistic or realistic

bobbybirds

What do you have to be afraid of. This is pretty good. Are you trying to get a
                3d effect with the clouds. Looks like the paint is pretty thick. It all depends on what style you are trying to create. You might want to watch some of the videos of Michael James Smith. They are on youtube. May not be the style you want but is helpful. I’d say you are on the right track but you need to find your style whether impressionistic or realistic

Thanks for replying!

I really can’t say what I am trying to achieve style wise as I don’t have a basis to use for comparison yet, but I definitely gravitate to impressionism when I am looking at paintings. While realism is still lovely I just find when I am looking at impressionist works I just get drawn in further and find myself getting lost in the effects. That said I have zero idea on how to produce that type of work. I think with this painting I simply was trying to just do what felt interesting to me. I don’t think I was consciously trying for any style persay.

The clouds were giving me fits how I was trying to do them so I went about them with a knife and tried to give them a bit of depth. I may have went overboard! :lol:

ntl

For “nothing to go on but…” ya did good!
                    “looking to learn and improve? here’s a link that might help. Just use what you can, you’ll learn as you go. “Giving Critique – a Check List for Critiquers”
                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/509/168/

Your sky colors are lovely. A bit more blending of the transition line between orange/yellow // to soften that // I think would help.
                    good sun light on the snow. I think the snow edge between the posts under the sun should also show a bit of that light–just a bit.
                    You’ve painted good depth, What is that perpendicular tower way off in the distance?
                    The texture overall is well done. Two areas stand out to me: the heavily textured clouds–the purple and white ones–and the road that has none.
                    Softening those clouds via blending should help. As you did with the white/gray clouds beneath them.
                    Good definition of the snow plowed onto the bank, the road would also have vehicle tracks/shadows.
                    A detail: for all that snow, consider plopping a topping of snow on the tops of the nearer (6-7) fence posts–light on the sunside, even if it’s just a thin line, shadowed on the not sunside.

Well done! And WELCOME!

gebhm

I too am self taught. No Lessons and quite honestly extremely little reading on it. Like you just a big desire to paint. I don’t have years and years of experience either. That said I like what you are doing except the clouds and upper sky. To me the style you have chosen for those things detracts from the work. Press on and sling the paint! It’s one heck of a way to learn!

bobbybirds

Thanks not! I will definitely check out that link…

When you say to blend the transition between the yellow and orange on the sun… I was trying to do that but just couldn’t seem to get it right. Should I be trying to draw out the lighter colour over the darker one further? I was thinking about putting a bit of an orange tinted glaze over it to try and blend it a bit better. Is that reasonable? I was thinking about doing that for the snow along the fence line as well.

The tower off uin the distance is just that… A radio/cell tower. I wasn’t sure if it was going to work or not but it is there in real life so I figured what the heck.

With the clouds my attempt was to make the larger, heavily textured clouds appear closer thank the softer lower clouds. I will try smoothing that out more tomorrow maybe and see what it looks like. That paint is pretty thick so I shouldn’t have any issues drying overnight I would think.

The white area at the bottom of the snow bank isn’t actually road. It is the area just off the road that the snowplows blade goes over creating a flat over a bit of a ditch. I was planning on attacking that area next session.

Love the idea of the fence posts! Will try that also…

Thanks for the points! I really appreciate the help.

bobbybirds

I too am self taught. No Lessons and quite honestly extremely little reading on it. Like you just a big desire to paint. I don’t have years and years of experience either. That said I like what you are doing except the clouds and upper sky. To me the style you have chosen for those things detracts from the work. Press on and sling the paint! It’s one heck of a way to learn!

Cheers! I am thinking more about that sky as we speak.. :thumbsup:

~JMW~

I like it.
                                    The snow and road angles , lines , textures very nice interesting scene..

I agree that the clouds are an issue..
                                    Something to remember is where your light is coming from… the low large sun would make for long shadows that would be most noticeable on the buildings & fence posts..

I did a quick sample of possible shadows & placement..
                                    And then played a bit with the sky a little bit for fun….hope you don’t mind..it could use some slightly darker clouds back, but my wrist got tired.
                                    The red lines to each object are how I figure shadow angles.. usually center of sun to tops of roof line & to the base of posts, trees and such… building fronts facing sun would be a bit lighter with glaze of soft sun yellow, you could even highlight the sun side of posts to get more detailed..

~Joy~

bobbybirds

Thanks JMW… That looks much better! I am going to play around some more on it for sure you have all given me some great direction and tips… Very helpful and appreciated!!

bobbybirds

Okay… I spent the morning attempting to incorporate your helpful tips and advice. I hope there are some meaningful improvements! I feel it is improved over yesterday. Please advise however you feel necessary…

So great with the shadows! And the light under the clouds! You’re doing so great :) Can’t wait to see the next work!

Trumper

For me it’s only the clouds that are a major issue ,they are too solid ,too solid lines .They look like they smash an aeroplane to bits instead of being fluid but apart from that a great start :)

~JMW~

I may have missed it..is this oils or acrylics?
                                                    If oils, do you have a soft blender brush, you can fluff and soften the hard clouds with it..
                                                    Blender type can work for acrylics too but must be fast and ready while paint is still wet/workable..

The heavy solid clouds just don’t fit the rest of the scene.. are you locked into that style of clouds? maybe some thin wispy ones?
                                                    Is there too much texture under it to fully blend & smooth them now?

~Joy~

bobbybirds

I may have missed it..is this oils or acrylics?
                                                        If oils, do you have a soft blender brush, you can fluff and soften the hard clouds with it..
                                                        Blender type can work for acrylics too but must be fast and ready while paint is still wet/workable..

The heavy solid clouds just don’t fit the rest of the scene.. are you locked into that style of clouds? maybe some thin wispy ones?
                                                        Is there too much texture under it to fully blend & smooth them now?

Yes sir… Oil on canvas board. I am totally having a nightmare with these clouds! Lol! I absolutely know it is too thick and heavy. I am going to try and scrape them back and soften them up. I am not stuck on them as much as I want to conquer them!

dis4u

hello bobbybirds what a lovely attitude i know you are enjoying the battle and you will conquer them its not a race its a journey.

TAO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.