WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects > A&W Reference Image Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#316   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Northants, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Equine Challenge for Jan 2009

CONGRATS Colleen! And thank you for starting up this thread, and keeping us all spurred on (bad pun, even worse of me to point it out)
and congrats on accomplishing what you set out for!

Sounds like you have a lot planned for this year, artistically! Horses are addictive definitely, once you start you can't stop! There's just a sense of satisfaction you get from drawing them that is weird to explain. Don't know what it is but we keep coming back to them! I'd like to tackle birds too, I have much to learn about wings and their anatomy and mechanics (stupid me has been trying to combine horses AND wings of late, yes the Pegasus... not really succeeding so far!)

Congrats finishing a week before the deadline too I think I will make it by the skin of my teeth... I have 10 left to go. Here is 77 to 89. (Yes I have missed out 75 and 76, they can be found on the Breed a Week Przewalski thread! Also number 90 is missing, I haven't photographed it yet.)

Pastel and sanguine oil pencil

Quick oil studies, a couple of hours apiece. I'm aiming to get better at working fast and 'wet-into-wet' with oils, I have found this difficult in the past and prefer doing it 'the long way' in layers, but I'm getting better with this way.

Random assortment! (The arabians in the top right, and the bottom middle, references again thank you to Crias, from the reference library thread!)

oil pastel and acrylic

conte crayon (I found some lingering in a box that I'd forgotten about!) and charcoal/pastel pencil. I tend to overwork things, I left the bottom one fairly loose and suggestive of the muscles.

http://amandadrage.livejournal.com/ artblog
  #317   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks Amanda
[QUOTE
I think I will make it by the skin of my teeth... I have 10 left to go.[/quote]
No sweat Amanda, you can do that in 2 days!

Quote:
Pastel and sanguine oil pencil
This one fascinates me Pastel and oil pencil what is which here... is the white pastel, how did it react to the oil pencil

I love the sketches with the side of the conte and the line, just so lively...you are just the best!

website/blog
  #318   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Northants, England

Oops sorry, I should have made that more clear Colleen! Those are oils, wet-in-wet... the ones above that were pastel and pencil!

now... I can breathe a sigh of relief (and maybe find time to clean my house ) because I have finished my 100 also (I actually finished them yesterday, 2 days before the end of this challenge's duration!)

here's the last 11!

assortment of pencils... I'm not keen on the shire, I gave him funny legs.

oil/acrylic studies of a Standardbred and Friesian, and the same Welsh Cob stallion I sketched earlier

page of a Lipizzaner (never sure how to spell that one) stallion who I just love, he is so expressive and proud-looking. The galloping one looks odd, it was the photo distortion... I purposely chose that photo as it emphasised his compactness, despite the weird angle. The head/neck shot on the left, I realised I had sketched out the head at a bit too extreme an angle, so what did I do?... I just turned the paper a bit and did the whole thing at an angle nothing to say I can't do that! LOL

Number 100, which actually I like probably the least out of all of them... but no matter. They're done!

And, since Colleen asked if I could do some kind of work-in-progress to show how I sketch, well I have attempted to document it in some way... excuse the terrible nighttime photos!

I break everything into main shapes, and rough them out first. For some reason I seem to usually start with the chest/shoulder area, I just find it easier to build things up from this starting point. I mark it down as a roughly three to four-sided shape - a curved line for the point of shoulder, a slope down into the chest, then round off the bottom of the chest, finishing with a line coming down off the point of shoulder and connecting at the 'elbow' behind the foreleg. From this starting point comes the neck, then I'll usually block in a roughly rectangular tapering shape for the head, along with the cheek/jawbone, and mark in roughly where the eye sits. Then back to the curve of the belly, the back/topline, and a squareish shape for the hindquarters. While I'm doing this I'll mark in whatever forms stand out in the reference, I'm at a loss to explain what exactly I mean lol... but if you look at the first picture, you can see in the hindquarter area the shapes I've marked in. (I like putting in lots of curves and suggestions of form and muscle, anything I can pick up from the reference... after a while certain things stick in your mind when you see and draw them all the time, certain muscles that are always visible or well-defined such as the ones in the hindquarters or shoulder.)

For the legs, I start at the top trying to concentrate on how they 'grow' out of the shoulder/hindquarter, and then roughly mark down to the knees. You can see in the picture I make VERY rough marks for where the knee/hock sits, then a simple line down to the fetlock joints. I make a little circular mark for the fetlock joints, then mark out the angle of the pasterns, and usually make some kind of indication of where the hoof will make contact with the ground - sometimes I'll extend these into horizontal lines if I need help lining up the legs.

Once you've got that far, pretty much all you need is there, in basic shapes. Then I just define where needed, fill in the details, and draw in the legs (I normally leave them til last, apart from the tail). I've been using the sanguine oil pencil for sketching lately, which is fairly un-eraseable, so I've just left my mistakes. The hindlegs are slightly off (they are angled a bit too far underneath him compared to the reference).

One thing I've drummed into myself to do when sketching is to always see 'reference points' in my ref photo, and compare them to my sketch, checking angles and lengths against each other. I do this as I'm sketching - checking the angle of the head against the slope of the shoulder, etc. Also if I run into trouble with a certain area, for example where the knee sits, I mentally draw lines between points in my ref photo, for example a horizontal line from the knee back to the hindleg, and then do the same for my drawing, to check I have things lined up.

I hope that made some sense.

Thank you for all your encouragement during this, I have to say it has helped change my thinking a bit, improved my sketching technique... and pulled me out of an 'art block', I am very glad I took part in this and I have enjoyed seeing everyone else's progress too. Thanks to all of you for the inspiration, and to Colleen for setting up this challenge!!

#319   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
VA

Hails from United States

Yay! Congrats to both Colleen and Amanda for making it through the challenge!

Amanda~ Your wip is really interesting! I usually start a horse from the head and work my way down, however, this leads to some very interesting mistakes most of the time. I think I'm going to try starting with the body like you do and see where it gets me
  #320   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Whoo Hoo Amanda

what a beautiful series you've put up here, and I'm so grateful for the wip, I esp like the "grow the legs" part and I'm going to learn from you how to really sketch well....I can't really put into words what your art has added to this thread. I'm def going back to study your work

Pretty much everything anyone who wants to do horses needs is all right here now, most every media, anatomy, technique, even sculpture, if I remember right. So now instead of long crits I plan on just pasting in the url for this thread for all the ones who are trying horses and want better results. And I plan to visit now and then for a refresher too.

Everyone who posted, thanks for making this thread happen!

My Best,
Colleen

website/blog
  #321   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

I haven't been able to get back to my mustang one, but, I will post the finished pics in here when I finally get it done. This project was a great group effort! I really enjoyed participating and seeing everyone else's progress!

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE
  #322   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Northants, England

many thanks Kusanar and Colleen Kerry I'll keep an eye out for yours!

Colleen I'm glad you got some sense out of my wip I agree this thread will be a great one to come back to every now and again!

#323   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

It's tax time...ugh! Gotta get 'em done first, then back to the fun stuff!

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE
  #324   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand

Well. I'm a late starter because I've only just found the Equine Forum!

I have opened a new notebook - 8x5 with 50 leaves and I am goin gto fill it with just horses. I have been admiring all the different styles so I am goin gto try to do a different style on each page.

1st page - coloured gessoed background with dabs of darker colour that I embellished with pastel and lead pencil to make into horses.

www.nzflutterby.blogspot.com
  #325   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
A Local Legend
Louisiana USA

Hails from United States

Congratulations Amanda!!! Your work is truly wonderful. I have enjoyed this thread so much!
I am doing well with my "own" goals, but watching your work and determination also keeps me motivated.
See you in the Breed a Week thread!

"If You follow every dream, you might get lost." ~Neil Young
  #326   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

Wonderful sketches Elain...welcome to the challenge...we may be closing this thread, if we do you can post in the regular Equine Forum, this one had been planned as only until Jan 15...I'm going to ask the others and see what they want to do...if you find it closed, start another for yourself so we can see your work!

website/blog
  #327   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Northants, England

Elain, yes please keep going... I agree starting a new thread for your progress would be a great idea!

#328   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand

Will do Amanda and Colleen. I will join in on the breed a week one and do those in my notebook. Plus others.

So at least one, if not two pages a week.

www.nzflutterby.blogspot.com