WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Re: Art Journaling

Quote:
DragonLady... The food safe glycerin acts as a plasticizer and the plate will not spoil! If you feel uncomfortable leaving it at room temperature, you can store it in the refrigerator. Every few months, it can be cut into pieces and placed in a large glass bowl, microwaved to remelt it and then poured back into its storage container.

Okay...learn something new everyday!

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Char, thank you so much! I am loving every single post and you're giving me so many ideas for new projects that would never have occurred to me without this thread.

Thank you in particular for the information about the 1" insulation, as I need to make a few extra-large stamps and have been trying to figure out what I can use as a thick-but-lightweight backing for them. You have saved me a lot of time and experimentation!

I'm also anxious to give the gelli plates a try. I saw them once on a TV scrapbooking show and the process looked interesting, but I wasn't sure I wouod do enough monoprinting to go out and buy all of the recommended supplies. Your homemade recipe will be give me a chance to have some fun without breaking the bank. Fortunately, I already have a brayer, acrylics, and acrylic inks, so all I need to do is get the ingredients for the plate and I'll be all set.

Thanks again!!!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Doing further research, I have learned that the commercial Gelli Plates are NOT made from gelatin. They contain petroleum products and resins. The commercial plates are a little firmer than the homemade plates. It's quite normal for the commercial plates to become dull and stained which will not affect their performance. They cannot be cut up and refreshed! I say again, they cannot be treated like the homemade plates.

The glycerin in the homemade plates prevents mould and they will not spoil. However, it's important to know that gelatin is an animal product. From everything I've read (to date), no spoilage has been documented. It's important also to note that your homemade plates should NOT be wrapped in cling film (saran wrap). Apparently, the film has been known to create deep wrinkles in the homemade plates.

The homemade plates clean up easily but eventually will become stained and damaged. They can be cut up and the pieces placed in a large heat proof glass bowl, microwaved until they melt and reformed in your container again. If there are acrylic bits in the mixture, pour it through a sieve lined with layers of cheesecloth to catch the unwanted bits.

Ok... enough about the alternative mediums in this thread! I'm taking us back to our watercolour roots. On Wednesday of this week, we'll be focusing on the Urban Sketchers taking their cue to go out into public and sketch something in our new books. Because this is a rural area and my sessions are in the evening, it's going to be a bit of a challenge for me to find a suitable venue. It can and will be done! Stay tuned!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM
On Wednesday of this week, we'll be focusing on the Urban Sketchers taking their cue to go out into public and sketch something in our new books. Because this is a rural area and my sessions are in the evening, it's going to be a bit of a challenge for me to find a suitable venue. It can and will be done! Stay tuned!

Yay! There's no established urban Sketchers group near me (which is extremely odd as I live in a Huge Metro Area ) but lately have learned that most of my work falls neatly into their aesthetic. I believe it was Joan T. (?) whose sketch group received permission to visit the local fire department. They did some excellent work drawing apparatus. Perhaps that could be a backup if you don't have a cafe open late enough for your class? Those guys do work 24 hours.

I'd love to go sketch at the firehouse actually. Being a fireman's kid, I got to visit more than once back in the day.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2016, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Okay; I have a home made "gelli plate" setting up on a table in my workroom. I don't usually use acrylics at all, but my DS has a few I can borrow just to give using it a few test runs.

I do love some of the really wild patterned papers I'm seeing on Pinterest that people are making with them.

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I don't have an Urban Sketcher chapter in my city either but I am planning to try and get one started. A Craigslist ad didn't get any responses so I will have to think of another way to find people interested.
What I have been getting into is considered Urban Sketching too. I go to coffee shops, to parks, busy public spaces and any kind of " event" that's going on and I sketch and paint. Sometimes I write some commentary on the page as well. I love doing this and try to go out specifically to sketch as often as I can.

By The way, I can recommend a bag called the " Field Easel bag". It's very useful when standing up and sketching. I just got my bag and took it out for an Earth day type event where I had to do lots of walking, no,room to sit anywhere , it was beastly hot and there was a huge crowd of people. The bag worked so well! I was able to stand and sketch whenever and where ever I wanted with no problems. Plus I like that the bag isn't so big that I am tempted to bring too much stuff and weigh myself down. I have no affiliation with the bag's makers. I just wanted to pass along info about a useful piece of travel/urban sketching gear.
CharM, thanks so much for the info about the home made Gel plate. I will enjoy making one.

Teresa
Saint Ragdoll
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2016, 10:43 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you for the inspiration & easy to follow instructions, Char. I finally had the opportunity to make a start on one -

I sacrificed a used, poorly written fiction hardback for my cover base. I cut the height to 5.75" but left the length 9.5". My thought is... and we'll have to see how it works out... that with 6" long/wide paper I might attach/secure a small palette to the inside back cover at the outside edge.

I haven't decided yet how to cover the covers but you've given me some good ideas!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 12:47 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Behind the Orange Curtain

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark501
My thought is... and we'll have to see how it works out... that with 6" long/wide paper I might attach/secure a small palette to the inside back cover at the outside edge.

I predict it will work out, and you'll find it very handy to have the palette on board. I made a removable palette holder for my sketchbooks, so it can be moved from book to book. It works a treat!

Image uploader seems to be broken at the moment but here are two pics attached. The holder stays attached all the time and folds for storage, so the palette is flat against the back cover to fit in my bag. In use, small neodymium magnets hold the "arm" out and keep the palette on. Two more magnets on the end of the arm hold the lid open in use, and keep the holder closed for travel so it does not flop around.

As you can see, the palette is firmly attached and not going anywhere. Party trick: the magnets are strong enough to attach the entire sketchbook to a car/mailbox/etc. if I need my hands free for a moment.
Attached Images

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 06:36 PM
A Local Legend
Windswept Prairieland

Hails from United States

I SECOND the field easel art bag! Had mine over a year and love it!

Darzie is sooooo nice as well. (He is nephew of betty macdonald of Miss Piggly Wiggly fame.)
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2016, 04:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Catwoman2, I hope you were able to get your stamps and gelli plate made! I hope you'll post your creative efforts!

Cyntada, that's a good idea! I think we'll be ok with the coffee shop, but I really like the notion of visiting the Fire House, also! There is no Urban Sketching Group here, either.

Julie, did you get some papers pulled off your plate?

Teresa, a couple of my friends have attempted to get a plein air group together and it's just never gotten off the ground. It's a shame, but sometimes sketching can be a solitary activity. Thanks to you and Caryl for the recommendation about the Field Easel bag.

Your sketchbook system is truly innovative and beautiful, too!

JMark501, re-purposing old book covers is a great way to create something new and beautiful from them. Creating a surface that will hold your palette is a good idea!

Here are a few things going on inside my journal...

Firstly, a couple of mixed media pages and then we'll get to my watercolour!

This is an example of a few stamps that were dragged over a commercial stamp pad:

I brushed watercolour over these stamps and pressed them onto rough paper. I used textured foam to make them, too, by the way:

A very quick collage made from torn bits from the palette of papers I'd made on my gelli plate:

I managed a couple of sketches at the Museum when I took my group there for their very first outing:

Because these are technically journal entries, I do need to add a few comments about each of these pages.

#71   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Hails from United States

Cyntada, I like the palette holder idea. Appreciate the magnet link!
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Awh... thanks so much Doug and Dragon! Leading this Workshop has been a very unexpected happy experience for me! I've had a blast doing and trying new things, all the while organizing them into something memorable!

Que Sera... a Gelli Printing Plate is a gelatin based plate used to create mono prints. My commercial plate, which is a giggly wiggly flat surface, is a large 12x15". The plate that I made is much smaller at 7x10".

My homemade plate is simply a combination of simple ingredients. Four ounces of gelatin, 12 ounces of glycerin and two cups of water. Once everything is blended (and dissolved), the mixture was poured into a plastic container that will be useful in storing the plate. The gelatin sets and then can literally be lifted from its storage container and set onto a clean surface.

Now, the fun begins. Place daubs of acrylic paint or acrylic inks on it. Using a brayer, smooth out the colour. Then stamp textures onto this colour using household items, stamps, etc. and finally lay a sheet of paper over this. Pull the paper away from the plate and, voila! You'll have a gorgeous mono print!

I've now read this. Well my English teacher used to use this method to print multiple sheets of tests or notes, for her pupils.

She typewritted first the notes on a piece of paper that had underneath a graphite sheet, and then she lay the graphite sheet on the gelatine printing plate and then made multiple copies by laying photocopy paper on the marked gelatine.

As far as I can recall, she could print about ten papers each time so with two printings she could have 20 copies, more than enough for her class, that cost her by far cheaper than actually photocopying them on a store.

I remember having countless notes for my English lessons bound in this dossier books ( with the hooks ).

Oh what you brought on my mind..

Last edited by MarialenaS : 05-02-2016 at 08:01 AM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2016, 05:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Oh my gosh, Marialena! Talk about innovative! I'm going to try something like that. It would be fun to create printed images over (or under) colourful designs!

#74   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2016, 04:48 PM

So do you guys use your art journals as a diary with written words and visual elements, or more of a sketchbook-type "playground" to just mess around with watercolors and other mixed media?

I used a have a "playground" type of art journal with little to no words in it, but now I'm trying to do more of a written journal that incorporates artwork in it. I can't really seem to find anyone else who does it that way though. Searches for art journal and visual journal pretty much all bring up mixed media stuff with hardly any written journaling elements.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2016, 08:42 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

Quote:
Oh my gosh, Marialena! Talk about innovative! I'm going to try something like that. It would be fun to create printed images over (or under) colourful designs!

Take care though because you have to place the graphite paper looking upwards on the downside of the paper that you'll type.
And I think I didn't wrote right how she did it at my previous post. I think that she didn't lay the graphite paper on the jelly printer but the downside of the typed paper on it, that had the marks of the graphite paper underneath but reversed. These stuck on the jelly printer's surface and then were transfered on the copies.

That is how she did it.. Or I think so.. I don't remember well .. that was 35 years ago..

Anyway.. try it if it doesn't work the way I told you it would be the other way round.