Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Work light over easel brightness level?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Millerhill

I just did a small study in oil and thought it looked pretty good…until the next day looking at it on the wall. It’s very dark. That led me to re evaluate the amount of light I have on my painting as I paint. Is there any sort of standard that makes sense? I have to assume that most paintings are viewed under “normal” household lighting and the way most of my paintings are coming out, I think they look too dark unless there’s sufficient light on them. If my goal is to sell my work, should I paint for “gallery” lighting or should I tone down the light above my easel and paint “lighter”?

I should mention that I paint small..usually 12×12 or smaller. My easel is a Mabef table easel and I have a light on a gooseneck clamped above it. It’s an LED light with three light settings-Low, medium, high. I use the low setting and I think I still need to cut it back some.

Thanks
        Steve

bongo

I have to assume that most paintings are viewed under “normal” household lighting and the way most of my paintings are coming out, I think they look too dark unless there’s sufficient light on them. If my goal is to sell my work, should I paint for “gallery” lighting or should I tone down the light above my easel and paint “lighter”?
            Steve

This is a good question, something I’m trying to figure out. I am now doing a series of urban night paintings, and they look good on the easel, disappear on the wall, and “blow-out” when taken outdoors in bright light.

I have recently dropped the intensity of the lighting on my easel. Somehow I use to have the idea that the easel needed to be blasted with light. I think my house lighting is lower than most, which could be part of the problem –

The problem happens most when the painting consists of mostly dark colors. Also if your painting consists of dark colors and you have a gloss finish, it will turn into a mirror.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
            STUDIOBONGO

La_

paint in the most wretched lighting possible
                because that’s where people will be hanging it

or so i’ve been told

post a pic? i’d like to visualize what you’re talking about.

la

bongo

okay i took a couple of cell phone snaps

this under open shade outside

this indoors with a bright light source. Where I use to have this hanging there was a big window in the next room and it turned the painting a shiney black.
                    But this pic will hopefully give you an idea of the problems.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                    STUDIOBONGO

La_

yeah, ‘black’ pieces are probably more problematic than any other … and acrylic tends to shine more than oils … can’t control the ever moving sun tho, so finding the right place to hang is probably key there.

hard, also, to control the lighting of wherever an artwork ends up.

la

MarcF

My philosophy is, I’m “god” when it comes to my paintings. I see all and I know all. None of the people who view my paintings will ever see them as I do. I use magnifying lenses often, and I want the brightest light and best visibility I can achieve. Nothing says you can’t turn the light down and step back for a look – you must do so frequently, or miss the forest for the trees. But when I’m adding something to my world on the canvas, I need to see what I’m doing.

bongo

I was looking at the outdoor phone snap I took, and thought “I don’t remember painting it like that?” Then I realized the part in question is my reflection when I took the photo. The painting – even in open shade is THAT reflective.

STUDIOBONGO

La_

acrylics? or did you glaze it with something?

la

_____________________________________________
                                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

bongo

It’s acrylic with a thin coat of 2 part resin pour on top. I forgot about that.

STUDIOBONGO

La_

hahaha
                                            display away from a window
                                            add a candle for lighting
                                            ;)

la

bongo

This painting is in my “archive” not to see wall space anytime soon. I have three or four paintings that I treated with one coat of 2part acrylic – I love the look – but you really are limited where you can hang them. I forgot all about them. I drugged this one out wanting to look at all my night paintings since I’m on a night-time binge at the moment.

I’m thinking of using gell-medium as a final coat in place of varnish. Putting high-gloss on all the lights and reflections and matt on the rest.

STUDIOBONGO

La_

cool … do you use real black or mix it ?- there’s many different delicious ways to build ‘black’, burnt umber/ultra blue (more matt) … pthalo green/burnt sienna (a little shinier), et al et al

la

bongo

cool … do you use real black or mix it ?- there’s many different delicious ways to build ‘black’, burnt umber/ultra blue (more matt) … pthalo green/burnt sienna (a little shinier), et al et alla

I mix. The painting I’m working on now has a “black” even Rothko would be proud of.

I gessoed a panel then toned it with alizarin crimson straight from the jar, no dilution. Then put on a glaze on phthalo green b.s. followed by a glaze of
                                                        1 part dioxazine purple/ 3(or 4?) parts paynes grey.

Now I’m in search of a pre-dawn sky color- where street lights are on, the sun still below the horizon, and daylight just emerging.

STUDIOBONGO

Ebpolley

Man I always have paintings that come out too dark. I got pro lighting and everything, I use 3300k-5500k lights and look at it over various settings and no matter what I do I end up with something that’s too dark. Now I just paint in regular light from my table lamps… things are turning out better even when in natural light. Just my 2cents

FriendCarol

Mostly I use an easel for figure painting from a (well-lighted) model; sometimes for plein air. If the studio is too dark, I have a rather odd battery-powered light I can hang over the easel, at many different distances and angles.

I bought it at Aldi (one of their limited time “finds”), and it is a small rectangle of LED light (2 brightness levels), within frames that can unfold to many different shapes. Cost about $15. I’ll try to get a picture and post it tomorrow… Anyway, this is very dim lighting, which works well for me inside with a properly lighted subject. (This is assuming the subject is a model, and I don’t have to match any finicky colors; wouldn’t work well for a still life, for example.)

I also have a few different Ottlites, including my new favorite, a table lamp with Li-ion battery that can be recharged, and shine anywhere there’s a tiny space (just a couple of square inches) to sit it. The lighting has 3 brightness values, up to about 4-5000K. It’s a sort of hook shaped lamp, and the angle between the LED light and the base can be adjusted easily. I’ll try to bring a picture of that lamp tomorrow also….

I think the value of the light (temperature) matters more than lumens (brightness). If you are painting in good light, you see details better, and colors are more accurate.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Audacity allows you to be at ease with your inadequacy, safe in the knowledge that while things may not be perfect, they are at least under way.
                                                                Robert Genn[/I]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.