Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Hall of Fame Irreplaceability of Alizarin Crimson – split off

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

You can mix till the cows come home but there is nothing that OPERATES like Alizarin Crimson throughout the mixing process. Sure you can make colours that look like PR83 and on the surface they look good but its in the mixing that they all fall apart and lose their character but PR83 always retains it characteristics through out the mixing process. So therefore you lose a vital colour in your mixing …for what, longevity. So I guess only if it lasts like 4,000 years will we use a pigment from now on and lose vital characteristics that Alizarin provides.

Funny how we will buy a Lexus for 50,000 plus and fades to the dump in about 15 years but buy a painting for maybe 5,000 needs to last 3 centuries…wheres the priorities. Do yourself a favor and get back to the proven winner.

Those of you who have used a replacement like Gamblins permanent PR 83 go back to the original and see what you have been missing. Call it a test if you will but you might be pleasantly surprised how well this colour helps you to paint better not to mention how beautiful it plays off the other colours. There is nothing like PR 83 …NOTHING.

An art which isn't based on feeling isn't an art at all. Paul Cézanne :)

Anonymous

Pr83 was first made in 1868 and represents the first synthetically made substitute or replacement for another pigment, rose madder. In reality that makes it the very first “hue” of another genuine color. Does it replace and mix like genuine original rose madder? Not according to the first artists to use it, they found it to be less saturated and less brilliant. Few other colors engender such vitriolic responses as pr83, that is the part that escapes me.

Paint_Tube

So therefore you lose a vital colour in your mixing …for what, longevity.

Er, yes that’s right.

We can continue to drone onward as to why many of us believe Alizarin Crimson is dispensable and ready replaced now that we are well into the age of the perylenes and quinacridones.

I used to have Alizarin Crimson on my palette just like everyone else and saw with my own eyes its fugitive nature. (In fact I still have it sitting in the well of an old watercolor palette.) Consequently, I simply accepted the fact that there’s no sense in using a fugitive paint when I have been served well by substitutes that I either purchase or mix myself.

This thread wasn’t meant to rehash the tired pro / anti-PR83 arguments. Rather, it was simply a bit of information I wanted to share so that others such as myself who will no longer use PR83 can try something different.

–Jamie

You can mix till the cows come home but there is nothing that OPERATES like Alizarin Crimson throughout the mixing process.

While true that’s not really the point. If it is for you, fair enough.

It’s really the colours that one gets to that matter and those can be achieved by multiple routes, in some cases many routes – just ask 20 or so painters doing similar work whose palettes aren’t the same.

Sure you can make colours that look like PR83 and on the surface they look good but its in the mixing that they all fall apart and lose their character…

Well that’s certainly a subjective determination Doug!

…but PR83 always retains it characteristics through out the mixing process.

Could you show us what you mean by this by posting examples?

So therefore you lose a vital colour in your mixing …for what, longevity.

Funny how people can paint perfectly well without it. It’s not vital, it’s vital to you.

So I guess only if it lasts like 4,000 years will we use a pigment from now on and lose vital characteristics that Alizarin provides.

Please don’t veer off into hyperbole, it does nothing to serve a serious discussion about the issue.

Doug, I believe you’re an oil painter right? The issue is not just about one medium. In watercolour the paint is so fugitive as to make defences of its use practically absurd.

Call it a test if you will but you might be pleasantly surprised how well this colour helps you to paint better not to mention how beautiful it plays off the other colours.

Caveat emptor!

There is nothing like PR 83 …NOTHING.

The same is true of any number of single-pigment paints but you name it, someone can paint without it, with the possible exception of white.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Hi Einion— yes, just oil painting, very little watercolour. So not sure about their issues.

Lets look at the character of this colour Alizarin Pr 83 compared to the other. In one the fact that we have three colours being mixed as Gamblin does in which I have used and saw it go in directions that were unpredictable and went downward very fast in this subtractive world in which we operate in. Mix a bit of orange into the Gamblin and it kills the blue hue in this three mixed pigment but in the original Crimson we are just fine and it stays on track and a lot easier to read relationships not to mention its beauty.

As we know, but seem to be ignoring is that three pigments right out of the gate makes for going downward all the faster into a subtractive world not to mention the individual character of the three. You will notice this in your mixing compared to how well Alizarin holds its own and is much stronger therefore you have a much easier time of mixing and relating to the two worlds such as, the warm and cool areas.

Try this, Make a sideways < V on canvas paper and at the point of the < put G. Alizarin, now mix Alizarin into the warm area up to yellow using individual pigments and then do the same on the bottom of the v into the cool area adding a bit of white to read and see what you get. Now do another with your mixed version of three pigments (Gamblin Permanent Alizarin) and see what you get, surprise…grayed out unpredictability and harder to paint when things get a bit more complex. You might even notice how beautiful the genuine looks and how well it holds through the mixes, basically a stable force. Also alizarin plays as a great go between the two worlds of warm and cool as a mid tone pigment. You can also make another < but this time gray all the colours before you paint into them and now see how well Gamblin does as you get more complex. The first test with the genuine Alizarin C. mixed into cadmiums reds to the yellows you will see the beauty that alizarin imparts but the gambling falls apart but what do expect starting out of the gate with three pigments. Now this should or will reveal what the heck is happening to you as you paint and get more complex in your paintings. Alizarin is a very important colour for a few reasons more but won’t go into at this time.

Smokin

There is an irrational POV on PR83 in these forums that refuses to look at this pigment objectivly which is fueled by a certain few indaviduals here. The truth is Pr83 is the identical in chemical structure in ?Nr5?(original madder) which has been used for centuries. There are examples of this pigment performance which do not suport the conclusions made with lightfastness tests.

The fact remains that pr83 and Nr5 has more history and much more predictablity as a pigment than any of the replacments being used today.

C&C always welcomed. Frank
                www.MyDigitalWorkshop.com

Anonymous

Pr83 is the synthetic version of the alizarin component in rose madder, omitted from the synthesis was the other component in rose madder, purpurin, alleged to be highly fugitive thus making the new Pr83 more permanent and also close but different. Correct me if I am wrong since this is info gleaned from the sometimes in error internet.

Doug, that all sounds right on the money to me (notwithstanding Schmid’s positive comments) but what about other substitutes/alternatives for this colour that aren’t mixes? Quinacridone Carmine for example? Quinacridone Crimson, Pyrrole Rubine, Perylene Maroon?

Beyond those colours which are close, what about the painters that don’t have a paint in this position but instead use a rose or magenta paint? They clearly don’t have trouble getting the colours they need by mixing in a completely different way.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

There is an irrational POV on PR83 in these forums that refuses to look at this pigment objectivly which is fueled by a certain few indaviduals here.

How is a desire to use something more lightfast not entirely rational?

Alizarin Crimson fades badly when exposed to enough light. As far as we know it always fades badly when exposed to enough light.

From Handprint:

Alizarin crimson has been tested hundreds of times since the late 19th century and there is simply no credible argument in its favor.

What my tests show is which paints, of the ones included in the test, fade soonest and worst in relation to the others exposed to the same amount of light for the same amount of time on the same panel in the same window, applied thinly in masstone (glaze thickness), thickly in masstone (impasto thickness), thinly in 50/50 mixture with the same white, and thickly in 50/50 mixture with the same white (impasto thickness). What faded quickest and worst in all instances was alizarin crimson PR 83, without exception.

From Amien.org, confirming something stated here previously, more than once by more than one person:

BTW, Shiva Rose is PV19 + PR83. If there was a standard for casein lightfastness, it wouldn’t meet it, since its lightfastness rating would be III. But you could still buy it.

So who’s not looking at things objectively?

The truth is Pr83 is the identical in chemical structure in ?Nr5?(original madder) which has been used for centuries.

Er, no it’s not. Want the link to the thread where you were informed of this?

There are examples of this pigment performance which do not suport the [U]conclusions[/U] made with lightfastness tests.

Such as?

Let me just come right out and ask you something I’m sure more than a few members would like to know: have you tested Alizarin Crimson in oils for lightfastness? If so, please tell us the testing procedure and share the results. I can’t imagine it shows anything other than the expected outcome the “irrational individuals” would expect.

If you haven’t tested it (yet?) may I ask why?

Einion

Doug, that all sounds right on the money to me (notwithstanding Schmid’s positive comments) but what about other substitutes/alternatives for this colour that aren’t mixes? Quinacridone Carmine for example? Quinacridone Crimson, Pyrrole Rubine, Perylene Maroon?

Beyond those colours which are close, what about the painters that don’t have a paint in this position but instead use a rose or magenta paint? They clearly don’t have trouble getting the colours they need by mixing in a completely different way.

Einion

I haven’t tried all of these exact colours you mentioned but have tried many and can’t remember all the specifics as I put a premium on character not necessarily where they sit on a colour wheel as being close to Alizarin, so it should work type thing.

Alizarin might be a red and we therefore think we can get close by using almost the same red but others will display different characteristics but all I have tried never measured up to the original Alizarin Crimson. For instance I tried the quins and they were to acidic in character and very pushy in a dominating way for me. But in the end I finally went back to Alizarins warm and welcoming attitude.

There’s also this warm wonderful glow that returned to my work that seems to come from this unique colour alone. Others have different properties to them. Ever see paintings that displayed this almost warm radiating quality…well, could it be Alizarins characteristics sitting in all those mid tones. There seems to be something special about this particular colour that others just don’t have.

Yes of course others can do without Einion but some I bet can relate on another level with this colour but Like Smokin said it’s gotten a bad rap and now many are avoiding it and I believe are going to suffer for it unnecessarily by way of missing out.

I am just saying give this colour another go and see for your self. If you have been away from Alizarin for a few years try it again and see if gained experience equals that you will recognize some of these unique differences.

Smokin

Enion, let me plainly say, I’m not interested in convincing you of anything or pointing you to information I know you will ignore, or pointing to information and facts that conflicts with your conclusions. I am also not going to elaborate on my position despite how often you misrepresent what I have been saying or what I understand.

The truth is Pr83 is the identical in chemical structure in ?Nr5?(original madder) which has been used for centuries. Refusing to understand this kind of basic fundamental fact despite the links in the past is an example of the irrational approach to pr83 I have mentioned.

I’m talking to those who might be interested in looking up info themselves. Is the madder that’s been used for centuries relevant to today’s pr83? Look it up, the answer is YES. Is the more to photochemical deterioration than sticking it in sun and seeing if it fade? Yes, absolutely. Is there a good reason as to why I don’t respect the information some people are adamant about here? Yes, after doing alot of research on lighfastness and the history of pigments (including alizarin) and took the times to educate myself about the science of pigments, I know for a fact that what is being shared here is far from a complete and proper understanding.

C&C always welcomed. Frank
                        www.MyDigitalWorkshop.com

I haven’t tried all of these exact colours you mentioned but have tried many and can’t remember all the specifics as I put a premium on character not necessarily where they sit on a colour wheel as being close to Alizarin, so it should work type thing.

Alizarin might be a red and we therefore think we can get close by using almost the same red but others will display different characteristics but all I have tried never measured up to the original Alizarin Crimson. For instance I tried the quins and they were to acidic in character and very pushy in a dominating way for me. But in the end I finally went back to Alizarins warm and welcoming attitude.

There’s also this warm wonderful glow that returned to my work that seems to come from this unique colour alone. Others have different properties to them. Ever see paintings that displayed this almost warm radiating quality…well, could it be Alizarins characteristics sitting in all those mid tones. There seems to be something special about this particular colour that others just don’t have.

Yes of course others can do without Einion but some I bet can relate on another level with this colour but Like Smokin said it’s gotten a bad rap and now many are avoiding it and I believe are going to suffer for it unnecessarily by way of missing out.

I am just saying give this colour another go and see for your self. If you have been away from Alizarin for a few years try it again and see if gained experience equals that you will recognize some of these unique differences.

Thanks for elaborating Doug

Einion

Enion, let me plainly say, I’m not interested in convincing you of anything or pointing you to information I know you will ignore

You’re on thin ice here, again, Frank. Don’t presume to pass judgement on what I, or any member, will or will not ignore.

I am also not going to elaborate on my position…

So we’ll have to take it that you haven’t tested the pigment. Okay then.

…despite how often you misrepresent what I have been saying or what I understand.

To the best of my knowledge I have never misrepresented what you’ve been saying. I have never misrepresented what you’ve said – this is one of the key reasons for quoting individual sections to deal with them separately, the very thing you’ve criticised me vocally in the past for ;)

[url=”http://www.webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/history/alizarin.html%5DThe truth is Pr83 is the identical in chemical structure in ?Nr5?[/url](original madder) which has been used for centuries. Refusing to understand this kind of basic fundamental fact despite the links in the past is an example of the irrational approach to pr83 I have mentioned.

The truth is a little more complex than you’re making out http://www.amien.org/forums/showthread.php?t=566&page=2

From George O’Hanlon (WC! member georgeoh):

First, Sir Joshua Reynolds did not use the modern synthetic pigment alizarin crimson, but rather madder lake, a pigment made from the naturally derived dye, which contains 1,2 dihydroxyanthraquinone, the chemical substance known as alizarin, [COLOR=”RoyalBlue]among other natural dyes and substances[/COLOR]. The synthetic form was not produced until 1868 when the German chemists Karl Graebe and Karl Lieberman, working for BASF, found a way to produce it from anthracene.

Even more to the point, madder lake was often made by precipitating the dye with a metal salt, other than aluminum, such as iron sulfate.

There are differences both physical and chemical that influence fading. As has already been noted, alizarin in mixes fades faster than when it is not mixed and used full strength. [COLOR=”RoyalBlue]Artificial alizarin fades less quickly than madder lake, because madder lake includes other dye substances, such as purpurin, that does fade faster than alizarin.[/COLOR]

Yes, after doing alot of research on lighfastness and the history of pigments (including alizarin) and took the times to educate myself about the science of pigments, I know for a fact that what is being shared here is far from a complete and proper understanding.

And I happen to ‘know for a fact’ that what you’re saying is not from a complete and proper understanding. Nobody, including me of course, is an expert on anything from reading a few references. Our conclusions are the sum total of what we’ve read (assuming we remember it) filtered through our own intrinsic viewpoints – this is clear because some people don’t ignore, or explain away, fading while others see it as a clear indication of something and draw a different conclusion.

Einion

WFMartin

Since I understand that the topic of this thread is the irreplaceability of Alizarin Crimson, I have an observation that I’d like to make, pertaining to that topic.

I am often surprised by how totally unremarkable some of these colors that seem so “indispensable” or “irreplaceable” to certain artists actually are. In my humble opinion, the importance is the resulting color. If one pigment seems to be a bit fugitive in its nature, then simply select another one that seems close.

Inspired by all these “Alizarin Crimson” threads that seem to abound, lately, I took the advice of someone who, on another thread, suggested that a quite appropriate “replacement” for Alizarin Crimson was Old Holland’s Burgundy Wine Red, and I bought a tube of it. (One real advantage of Q & A sites, such as this) As many may be aware, Old Holland does not do the buyer a favor by printing the pigment ID on the label, so I have absolutely no idea what precise pigment it actually is.

However, it DOES state “Anthraquinone” on the label, so for all I know, it may be every bit as “fugitive” as real, PR83 Alizarin Crimson.

Inspired by the fact that some colors exhibit different overtones when mixed with white, or with other colors, I just did a side by side comparison, lightening an ancient tube of Alizarin Crimson with white, and also mixing my Old Holland’s Burgundy Wine Red with white. I added white until each was to the same approximate value.

There was no detectable difference, whatsoever between the appearance of the two. Granted, I do not have the availability of a color measuring instrument, as I used to have, but I’d be willing to bet that if put to a visual test by the most discriminating artists, the “real” Alizarin Crimson could not be identified from its counterpart–even when mixed with white.

Now, this tube of Burgundy Wine Red is not a “mix,” as was advocated in another thread, but it most certainly is a different pigment, and seems to behave much as the actual Alizarin Crimson does. To me, real Alizarin seems as though it represents a slightly yellower, and slightly dirtier version of PV19, and I don’t much care WHAT you wish to call PV19, (Rose, Red, Magenta, Violet, etc., etc.) That nomenclature seems to often be such an issue, in discussions.

Quite truthfully, I’ve been painting for 20 years+, have sold many paintings, and have received quite a few awards, and haven’t actually employed Alizarin Crimson on my palette in nearly that length of time, since I was led to believe the fugitive nature of real Alizarin Crimson. Some combinations of various Cadmium “Reds” and PV19 have worked exceptionally well for me, and I do flower paintings–the very type of subject that is quite dependent upon achieving various reds, yellows, and blues.

Color is color, and if one of them is purported to be “fugitive”, then simply select another, or a combination of others. It is really not brain science or rocket surgery.:D I could practically guarantee that you’ll be able to create every bit as acceptable work, if Alizarin Crimson were to suddenly disappear from this earth.

Bill

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Anonymous

I agree with you Bill. There is already a vast amount of acceptable work that has been produced without it. To prefer and “love” a pigment is an emotional head thing that is what I think is going on here, and I am not immune from that either but that has more to do with me than an intrinsic magical quality possessed by a chemical.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                              • The topic ‘Irreplaceability of Alizarin Crimson – split off’ is closed to new replies.