Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    re-DICulous

black out of the tube is soo…. black. i want more character to my blacks by mixing my own, but i want to know what to mix, whether it’s warm or cool, and how its worked for you (or any masters you might be referencing).

-thanx!

Larry Seiler

I paint typically with a limited palette…of French Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Lemon Yellow, Bright Red….and white. Sometimes Naples Yellow…sometimes viridian.

Important for me to have a good rich and dark blue as it will be my darkest dark…(I use Utrecht French Ult Blue)…

I mix pure blue, a bit of red..touch of yellow to keep too violet. A bit more yellow if I want a lean toward green…
            just depends what it juxtaposes.

Not hard…just a touch one way or the other with the red or yellow to keep the dark warm or cool, one sense of color or another….

Here are some examples of darks I got with these three paintings, all painting from life…

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
            Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

black out of the tube is soo…. black. i want more character to my blacks by mixing my own…

If you mix black you get black – the same colour that you might see straight from a tube. With any extremely dark grey (which most blacks actually are) there’s almost no way of seeing the hue anyway if we’re talking about the colour applied thickly and by itself; little point in not using a black paint in the first place in that case.

In case you might be looking for one of the following:
            1, a black paint that when mixed with another colour shows some evident hue that’s different from what you tend to naturally get with black pigments (which regularly have tints that are slightly blueish);
            2, something where the hue is evident in masstone (which isn’t black any more).

For 1, there’s a very obvious method – that often seems to be overlooked for some reason – to get a very dark colour and that’s to simply mix black paint with something else, particularly transparent or semitransparent pigments. The commonest example of something like this is Payne’s Grey.

For 2 you can use the same starting point as above and add a tiny bit of white. You could also use an opaque pigment instead of something transparent, which will lighten the mixture automatically.

If you don’t want something ‘colourful’ then you’re really looking for a dark near-neutral (close to grey, with just a hint of the hue visible, when tinted or brushed out thinly); any complementary pair will give this if one or both of the starting colours is reasonably dark in value.

(or any masters you might be referencing).

Most painters in the past used black pigment if they wanted black.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Larry Seiler

something where the hue [u]is[/u] evident in masstone (which isn’t black any more).

Einion

it feels dark enough to read black, yet has a hint of color to push further contrast…this is actually a very good painting stragegy.

As an example- if one has a red with lighter value as an adjacent color to the dark…by having the dark you have contrast, but by having the dark (which reads at the first look as a black) a slight hint of green, you get an additional whammy (if-you-will) from a complementary to the red. I don’t like the hint of green I get adding a green to black…but I do very much love the richness of the dark I make leaning to a green.

I tweak my darks all the time to get that effect.

Other than when I’m playing with a Zorn palette using a black…with my regular limited palette…I don’t like mixing color into black to tweak the black.

I did do just that for nearly 17 years with acrylics…but now, after having made my own pigment that feels black and causing it to lean toward a color I want for additional contrast for the past 12 years or so, it is my testimony and opinion that there is a notable difference. A liveliness or richness. Mixing up what looks and feels like a black leaning toward a color does look different than taking black and adding a color to it. Something about black tends to kill a lot of color.

Thing is…there is much that can be said for learning to make one’s darks, just making oneself all the more capable and knowledgable. Confident.

After the past 12 years mixing my own forms of black, I now finally am feeling confident enough to play with palettes….like Zorn’s…but took quite some time to get to a place to regain trust in myself. Black became too easy to use…but just as easy to miss better judgments.

Each his own…like black, not like black.

Take the roll of 35mm film I painted above. The dark doesn’t look like a black(?)…doesn’t immediately strike the eye to read as such? Look carefully, and note all the color in the closeup of that 35mm film canister in effort to compose that dark. Most artists using black to paint such would just paint the dark black…which would then just appear black…and thus flatter, less life.

At very close inspection…see how the hints of color in making the suggestion of black/dark work to pull off the greater excitement…greater illusion of depth I wanted-

Not disavowing opinions, but I’ll have to agree to disagree…and many outdoor painters past and present would agree with me on this one. Many that mix their own darks…mix up their own sense of black…

Most painters in the past used black pigment if they wanted black.

Not most Impressionists…not most painters on location…and reading John F. Carlson on Landscape Painting, Edgar Payne, Emile Gruppe on and on would also show many opinions advising to stay away from the use of it.

That being said…I’m certainly not saying there are not traditions, periods of masterful fine art (Renaissance and Baroque for one) and so on that did not use black, nor use it well. Sargent used it wonderfully. I don’t believe most modern/living artists work I’ve seen demonstrates using black well. Not like Sargent did.

I am arguing however that it is a completely legitimate interest and supportive history for those artists interested in learning to paint without black. There are advantages to learning to suggest black or darks, richer livelier color for one.

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
                Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

Scottyarthur

I used to use black out of the tube when I first started to paint, but would rather mix my own as it gives a better feel and look to it. mixing blues, reds, and yellows in very amounts will give you black, brown, and even green depending on the mixture. Larry you are a wealth of info I am finding out everytime I read one of your posts.

Pastels are the dust on butterflies' wings. ~Wolf Kahn

Take care, Be well, Be safe http://www.scottleckrone.com[/SIZE]

it [i]feels[/i] dark enough to read black, yet has a hint of color to push further contrast…this is actually a very good painting stragegy.

Granted, a very dark grey surrounded by lighter colour looks darker.

The important point in relation to the original question though: once you get light enough to see evident hue – regardless of how that colour is achieved – we’re not talking about black any more; this is not as pedantic as it might seem. Important to make the distinction IMO – black is black, ‘rich darks’ are what they are, dark near-neutrals are different again.

I’m reminded of the “how do I paint a black dog so it looks black?” type of question. Well as you know you don’t paint the whole thing black (or even close really) but if you get the values right, with good blacks or near-blacks placed appropriately, then the dog’s coat looks right – looks black – regardless of whether it is in fact mostly not black :)

Thing is…there is much that can be said for learning to make one’s darks, just making oneself all the more capable and knowledgable. Confident.

Ah yes, definitely a good point. Knowledge is power when it comes to how to use one’s palette.

But as a corollary: a lot to be said for not dismissing/ignoring that the same kind of results can be achieved starting with a black paint… and sometimes there are better colours available* by this route.

Not most Impressionists…not most painters on location…and reading John F. Carlson on Landscape Painting, Edgar Payne, Emile Gruppe on and on would also show many opinions advising to stay away from the use of it.

They’re all wrong :D

I still think that discarding black essentially is a ‘throwing the baby out with the bathwater’ kind of thing. And if a black paint (which aren’t all the same anyway of course) isn’t quite right often the simplest method is to spice it up by mixing something else with it, instead of starting from scratch.

Tweaking a dark as you say, but just doing it a different way.

Especially if one has the right other paints available (i.e. not using a limited palette, which is, as the name suggests, limited) these black + another paint mixtures can be gorgeous, not at all the type of “dead”, “killed” colour that we too often read.

Einion

*Comparisons of enriched blacks with mixed near-neutrals to try for anyone interested (I’d suggest using a carbon black here):
                    black + Quinacridone Rose v. Quin Rose + Phthalo Green YS
                    black + Pyrrole Red v. Pyrrole Red + Viridian (or Phthalo Green BS)
                    black + Phthalo Blue GS v. Phthalo Blue GS + Venetian Red
                    black + Dioxazine Purple v. Dioxazine Purple + Chromium Oxide Green
                    black + French Ultramarine v. French Ultramarine + Burnt Sienna

Brush each mix out thinly to see the chroma in undercolour + mix it with white to see the tint.

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

I think I’m beginning to get it. I’ve always thought of black as an absolute, but a lot of people seem to think of it as another color similar to blue, red, yellow, etc. For example, just as there are green-blue, purple-blue, dark blue, light blue; there must also be green-black, red-black, blue-black, dark black, light black (hmmmm… :confused: ), etc. It almost seems to make sense, even though it doesn’t really.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                    Richard

stoney

I think I’m beginning to get it. I’ve always thought of black as an absolute, but a lot of people seem to think of it as another color similar to blue, red, yellow, etc. For example, just as there are green-blue, purple-blue, dark blue, light blue; there must also be green-black, red-black, blue-black, dark black, light black (hmmmm… :confused: ), etc. It almost seems to make sense, even though it doesn’t really.

Richard

Mindset. Black is simply another colour many people treat differently than others. Due to convention, perhaps? The vast majority of the time I’ll mix a tube black with other colours to shift it this way or that. Other times I’ll use it as a very dark blue.

White is commonly seen with subtle tints of other colours. What reason is there to treat black differently?

The last time Religion and Government were 'joined at the hip' people were burned at the stake.

It’s convention, probably. Terms like ‘near black’ or ‘near white’ would be a big improvement.

Richard

C&C is welcome.
                        Richard

re-DICulous

sorry about not keeping up with this stuff, guys. im new to the site and cant ficgure out how to quote out how to quote.

i like to keep things short. it keeps people like me focused.
                            anyway…

larry, you’ve got some rockin information and i am greatful for it. i’ll let you know when i put it to some good use.

as for this quote:
                            ” The important point in relation to the original question though: once you get light enough to see evident hue – regardless of how that colour is achieved – we’re not talking about black any more”
                            -einion

i definatly agree. but i also think that when you want to make that black, black, you use it only as a speck. black has no information. thats why its so… black…. and why i asked how to mix my own. black out of the tube is nothing but a void. how – uninteresting. its like using white – if you want to make something in your painting glow, and i mean GLOW….. desaturated EVERYTHING else, and only use a speck of white and MAN it will glow

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1529/sargentcarnationts9.jpg

yes black has its uses. but i want to master painting without a dependency of it, being that you only need the magic 4. otherwise, i would have asked: how do you use black out of the tube?.

just outta curiosity, can i see some of your work with black einion?

stoney

sorry about not keeping up with this stuff, guys. im new to the site and cant ficgure out how to quote out how to quote.

Bottom right corner of the post you’re reading has the quote button. The left side button is for a reply without quoting.

Cheers.

The last time Religion and Government were 'joined at the hip' people were burned at the stake.

re-DICulous

Bottom right corner of the post you’re reading has the quote button. The left side button is for a reply without quoting.

Cheers.

wow! check it out! and if you didnt quote me, i wouldnt have realized i dont check my writing! maybe i should start!

stoney

wow! check it out! and if you didnt quote me, i wouldnt have realized i dont check my writing! maybe i should start!

chuckling…

mr.wiggles

Everyone has such interesting ideas on Black paint. To use Black or not to use Black…

I like Ivory Black(or WB’s Black Roman Earth) myself, sometimes I will add blue to it to make it move back in space. Black is a type of blue, a very dark one. I always have it on my palette, you can’t mix a good neutral without it in my opinion.

Art history is filled with painters who used it: Frans Hals, Velásquez and Rembrandt come to mind as do Turner, Constable, Inness, Zorn, Manet and Sargent to name a few who had black on there palettes and used it to great effect.

I am an advocate of simplicity, it’s cheaper to use black out of a tube than to mix it from expensive colors such as Cadmiums which at $30 a tube for a good brand is a lot higher than the $6 to $10 for the same size tube of Ivory Black.

This statement “i want more character to my blacks by mixing my own”
                                            is interesting to me. It says more about how your thinking about painting than about the idea of using or not using black paint out of a tube.

” yes black has its uses. but i want to master painting without a dependency of it, being that you only need the magic 4″

This statement makes no sense to me, what is the magic 4? If you want to master painting then why would it matter that you used black or not for that matter. Would not mastering the craft of painting be the isssue and not what colors one uses. Should you not master color in genral and then make dessions based on logical ideas developed from studing?

Also your stating that using it makes you dependant, I am not sure why this is a problem, how is Black differant than say Ultramarine Blue in this context, is it not how one uses it that is the issue, not the abstract idea of the paint itself?

Larry mentions using a limited palette, this is a sound and rathional idea based on wanting to work in a certin way for a result based on an idea.

You use white paint and I am sorry for being presumptious, but lets assume you do. I don’t see people saying their ‘dependant’ on that hue.
                                            Why is this? Why is white good, and Black is bad? One could say that your ‘dependant’ on White more than Black. No?

If you want to learn to control paint why not do exercises with limited palettes. Such as doing small still lifes with White and Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umbra. There are a lot variations on this idea. It’s a good exercise and from time to time I’ll do a few because it makes me think in a differant way. One can also paint in Black and White only, value studies.

I hardly ever use it straight out of the tube myself and I do not know of any painters who do. Except for accents in the shadows of objects that are moving away from the light source. Even then I might mix it with Permanent Alizarin and Ultramarine Blue.

Black is beautiful to me…

Links primary palettes that are good arguments on the problems with primary based palettes:

link1

link2[/URL]

ElsieH

:wave: Lots of good stuff to think about here!:heart: :heart:
                                                I have black in my box of tubes, but it rarely goes onto the palatte anymore.
                                                I can get plenty of dark darks without it. But once in awhile, I find I just want very black for some small area and out it comes. However, more often, I mix it with some other color even there.

I had a teacher refer to black this way:
                                                Use it if you want. Lots of old masters did.
                                                But, it you are really looking at nature, you will see that unless you are painting in a cave at midnight, you just can’t find real black. Even in the most hidden corners in a lighted day or a lighted room, the darkest darks are influenced by reflected light of some sort or reflected local color.

I guess you can approach it either way: take black and enrich it
                                                or take darks and mix them effectively to get rich darks.

:lol: Being a bit of a rockhound, I have a little lump of coal here on the shelf beside my computer desk. Yep, even coal is not black!:lol: LOL

Cheerio,
                                                :music: Elsie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                              • The topic ‘mixing BLACK’ is closed to new replies.