Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Sargent’s watercolor pigments

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Will

Did anyone research Sargent’s watercolor pigments? Since his watercolor works are such fascinating。I want completely the same pigments he chosen (or contemporary version). I knew his oil color choice are documented as : white/cadmium yellow light/cadmium red/Venetian red/cadmium orange/burnt sienna/raw umber/ Perm Alizarin crimson/Viridian/ cobalt blue/ Fr ultramarine blue/ivory black.

But i think when the medium transfer to watercolor these color list above is not enough , due to the transparency of watercolor made lighter value only . ….it cannot made any dark value. e.g. Viridian is good color in oil. But Viridian in watercolor is so weak we might need add some pathalo color for more darker value

Will

Lavendulan

Sargent’s watercolor palette: Alizarin Carmine, Brown Pink, Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Pale, Chrome Yellow, Cobalt Blue, Gamboge, Lamp Black, Rose Madder, Ultramarine Blue, Vandyke Brown, Scarlet Vermillion, Deep Vermillion, Viridian, and an opaque white.
            Source:https://www.susanabbott.com/painting-notes-blog/2014/4/11/the-gesture-of-light-in-sargents-watercolors

Lora
            C&C welcome

calvin_0

Brown Pink? any chance that is Potter’s Pink?

tmwilliams

I find it interesting that he used a premixed black.

DaveCrow

Remember that Sargent often laid his watercolors on quite thickly. Often given an opaque finish. He would also wash color over a thick (1mm) white bead laid on the paper.

So much in his watercolors can only be appreciated in person, it just doesn’t show up in reproduction.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Lavendulan

Brown Pink? any chance that is Potter’s Pink?

I have no idea, but that’s exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Lora
                            C&C welcome

“The pigment called Stil, or Stil de grain, is a similar preparation, and a very fugitive yellow, the darker kind of which is called brown-pink.”

More at
                            https://www.naturalpigments.com/artist-materials/pink-was-yellow-paint/

Life is but a Dream

Will

Thank you Lavendulan. Now i update my palette and share with all of you.Removing some black colors or multi-pigments color. Most color are choose from WN aritist half-pan since i do field landscape only.(But i think the color list can applies to any subject! : ) )
                                lemon yellow
                                cadmium yellow pale
                                cadmium orange (pre-mixed)
                                cadmium red
                                Venetian Red
                                permnent alizarin crimson
                                yellow orche
                                Burnt Sienna
                                vandyke brown
                                permnent sap green
                                viridian
                                Cobalt Turquoise
                                Cerulean Blue
                                cobalt bule
                                French ultramarine
                                tianium white(Opaque)

Will

Lavendulan

I was just watching a new video from Jerry’s Artarama that featured Sennelier. The first color he laid out was Brown Pink. Sennelier has reproduced this in a modern convenience mix of PY 150, PG 7, and PBr23. It is indeed related to Stil de Grain, and showed up in the video as a glowing greenish gold. They mentioned it was a favorite of Sargent’s. Beautiful, I might have to get a tube, or I may just try to mix it myself.

The original color was not lightfast, and even though this one is not rated, it is made from lightfast pigments.

Lora
                                    C&C welcome

calvin_0

I’m surprise to find out that brown pink is neither brown or pink… it look alot like green gold..

oh yeah, this is the video with brown pink in it..
                                        Jerry’s LIVE Episode #132: Sennelier Watercolor, Fabriano Artistico & Raphael Brushes

Ted B.

The word “pink” originally referred to a yellowish shade of a flower. Over the centuries it’s English usage shifted to our modrn pale red. “Blue” has also shifted from a more cyan shade to the modern blue…which was originally called indigo from the dye (blue jeans blue). Hence some of the confusion with Newton’s ROYGBIV, blue and indigo have shifted in common usage…

Traditionally the Japanese considered greens and blues to be one color-group. While the Russians separate light-blue and dark-blue as two separate colors. And in English there’s pink and red …though both cyan and blue are “blue”.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Harold Roth

I am a bit of a plant nerd and have never heard of a yellowish pink in Dianthus flowers (“pinks”). “Pinks” in flowers refers to the edges of the petal, which are zigzag, like done with a pinking shears. Here’s a good example.

The word “pinke” for a dull yellowish brown color comes from dyeing. It was made from unripe buckthorn berries and had low lightfastness. I think you can still get this actual pigment from Kremer as stil de grain Yep, in fact they have several varieties.

mlaiuppa

I just finished creating a John Singer Sargent palette as my watercolor class has used two JSS watercolor paintings for practice. I thought it would be a good idea to try to use the same colors he did. I did a temporary mix of emerald since mine hadn’t arrive yet. I used: 8:viridian, 2:cad yellow light, 1:titanium white. I think if I did it again I would cut the yellow to one and increase the viridian to 9.

I used Quin Pink but am going to switch it out for Opera, which is closer to Eosin. I’ll also be switching out the Greenish Yellow (Holbein) for Brown Pink (Sennelier) I have the space so will be adding Transparent Red Oxide. There will be 26. I found three different pigment lists for JSS and so combined them, eliminating duplicates and similars.

Here is my list. They are Daniel Smith unless otherwise noted.

Eosin (Opera) or Quinacridone Pink (DS)

Rose Madder, (Rose Madder Hue)

Alizarin Carmine, (Perm Alizarin Crimson)

Scarlet Vermillion, (Organic Vermillion)

Deep Vermillion,  (Cadmium Deep Red, W&N)

Cadmium Orange

Cadmium Yellow Pale or light, (Cad Yellow pale W&N or Cad Yellow light DS)

Chrome Yellow, (Schmincke)

Gamboge, (New Gamboge DS discontinued or Quin Gold DS discontinued)

Brown Pink,(Sennelier) or Greenish Yellow (Holbein) or Rich Green Gold (DS)

Viridian

Emerald green (Holbein, DaVinci, Turner Professional) see my mix above

Chrome green (Chromium Oxide)

Cobalt Blue,

Ultramarine Blue,

Prussian Blue

Cerulean Blue

Cobalt Violet

Yellow Ochre

Burnt Sienna,

Umber, Raw and Burnt

Vandyke Brown,

Lamp Black, or Ivory Black

Opaque white (gouache)

Attachments:
                                                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                                    Runs with Brushes
                                                  Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.