WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Lea WIP: A lady of many layers

I thought I would post a thread on my portrait painting process. Iíve been lurking around here for a while, and Iím hoping to get both encouragement and constructive criticism from you guys. Iíd describe my process as rather anal-retentive and time consumingóI like indirect painting, realism, with luminous colors and almost no visible brush strokes. Here is an example of my previous work.

This is Lea, oil on 18 by 24 gesso board. Below is the reference photo I took of her. I donít really believe in copying a photo directly so lots will be different in the actual painting.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Re: Lea WIP: A lady of many layers

I like a really smooth, detailed monochromatic underpainting to glaze over, so what I consider the underpainting is actually multiple layers of underpainting. Iím still experimenting with what color underpainting I like best for skin. This one is warm grey from black mixed with yellow ochre. The arm is only in the first layer of underpainting and the face is three (and done).

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

The face looks very much like her!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

In the past some painters used Terra Verde for the underpainting of skin.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 AM

Looks promising, also the likeness is quite good!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Tony: I find it a little hard to paint over a pure green underpainting, so I think I will add green in for the first glaze.

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement, guys!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 PM

3: Underpainting is basically done, other than a few spots of the shawl that need a little touching up. Hair is Raw Umber and Titanium white (and Iíve basically just blocked in tones that I will paint over more directly than the rest of the portrait). Shawl is Ivory Black and Titanium White (it will be blue in the final painting). For my own amusement, Iím keeping track of how many layers Iíve applied. This is 3-4, at this point. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

I have been taught, and I apply it every time I have the chance to paint, that it is advisable to use quick drying oil paint when creating a Grisaille. Umbers, Prussian Blue, Burnt Sienna, mixed with white are all suitable for this task, by intermixing Umbers with Prussian blue, you can create an ample range of warm or cool grays.

In addition of giving the benefit of drying fast, you can avoid having cracks in the future once the paint is completed with colors.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:24 PM

Humbaba: Thanks for your thoughts. I'm pretty much self taught and have learned what I know from here and youtube. That said, all these layers dried quite quickly because the only medium I use is Liquin, which I use consistently all the way through the painting. I paint a layer cut with Liquin and then wait till it's bone dry (24-48 hours) and then do another. I'm hoping the added flexibility of Liquin will prevent cracking. It's hard to tell how "archival" this is and what it will look like in 100 years, but the previous piece I did in this manner has not cracked.

Last edited by Libby_Cowgill : 11-20-2019 at 01:51 PM.