WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Stitch in Time May 2012

Good afternoon.

I don't have any ideas for you either Jen. I have never heard it.

Martha, glad you are still hanging in there. Sorry about the eyes again and then the foot too. Heal quickly.

Margo, you must have been doing too much and it finally caught up with you. Take some rest time today and tomorrow the energy will be back.

Debby, sew away and hope your area is drying out so they can get the bathroom finished.

I have been working on two burgundy wool coats this time. One will have long white fur and the other a leopard type fun that is shorter. When I was looking through the fur, the leopard is something I remember from my childhood of women wearing on their coats. Outer coat and linings sewn and now just need to put the two together and then the hand sewing starts. Yuck! Why am I making things with so much hand sewing? Good question but no answer here.

My back is sore now so think I will go see if there is anything on the tv to watch.
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Hi dear friends

Jen I have posted the song to all my American friends... let's see what comes out of it.

Anyway here are some photos from the Exhibition in Helsinki

#108   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

and

So there they are... and now at the residency of the Ambassador.

Write more later as all the money for internet has run out My goodness getting world fame and do no have a dime... classic right
Love to all
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Very wonderful, Sigrun. And thanks for passing on the song to your friends!
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Wonderful pictures Sigrun. Thanks so much for sharing them.
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Thanks girls... Jen no one that I know in the US have heard of this song. Sorry.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Tada! Fab pictures Sigrun.

Jen, is the camp where you were a counselor still in business? Perhaps they have a copy of the song somewhere in their records. If you knew the name then you could search the ascap or bmi databases to see who if anyone owns the rights. I'm sure you have already thought of that, best I can come up with. We sang cumbahya at my camp. I still find anyone singing that song to turn my stomach. Church camp, not so much fun!
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

I never went to camp as I kid. I was raised on a farm and I was out bailing hay and driving a tractor most all summer. Then there was the milking of the cows twice a day and setting up their feed. Not automated farming like today. All the feeding was done by putting out feed to each cow and the milk was carried in buckets to the milk house.

Today has not been a good day pain wise. But there was work to be done so went to post office this morning and got the orders all mailed, did a load of laundry and put it away, and then hand sewed one coat and two hats. The other coat will wait. I need to go to Joann's and gets some frogs for the closing of the coats. No buttons this time.

Here is the coat. Big one this time. 30 inch doll. The bigger ones are easier to make any way Burgundy wool and white faux fur and burgundy satin lining.

#114   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Enthusiast
where my whimsy takes me

Hails from United States

Just a quick check in before bed.

Lovely, lovely coat Eva. The white fur and dark hair give a young Queen Elizabeth look to your doll. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

I cooked the things today I usually cook on Memorial day and we had our first cookout and picnic in our new house. It was yummy. Otherwise I was pretty much brainstorming and giving my hands and back a rest. Did a bit of paperwork that was in need of doing. I'm going back to my thin yet interesting book now, night all.
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2012, 01:55 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, your doll coats and hats are all so lovely. Sorry about your pain, take some rest.

Margo, sounds like your sewing is going well. Glad the smoke has cleared for you.

Martha, sorry about your eye and foot. Feel better soon.

Sigrun, what a great display for your rugs. Things will come together soon, I'm sure.

Jen, I've been to camp in the summer and don't think I ever heard that one. It sounds almost Native American, especially since you said it was more a chant than a song. Hope someone can help you with that soon.

I'm still at mom's and still working on the corduroy jumper. Seems I mis-judged my "curves" and there were inappropriate gaps. I have torn things apart and added some darts to fix that. So, it's still not done, much to mom's dismay. She made a comment last night about how long it was taking me to finish the jumper.

I've found that if I'm tired, I just make mistakes that have to be ripped out again. What's the point of sewing past being tired if you're just going to undo what you sewed? So, I don't sew into the evening or on till midnight like she would.

On the plus side, I went to JoAnne's on Monday. Avoided holiday traffic by traveling to the "city" first thing in the morning and returning mid-afternoon. I got some poplin to make some more jumpers. I got a batik and an eyelet to make blouses. Mom has promised to show me the ropes on using the embroidery part of my sewing machine so I can do some embellishing. They had a sale going on for the weekend. Unfortunately, I wanted some yardage of denim to make a denim jacket and there wasn't enough left on the bolt. In fact the entire denim section was pretty much decimated. I'll have to get that next time. I do have 3 shirts/blouses to make and 2 more jumpers after the corduroy one. Plus I have some polar fleece to make a short cape out of for an evening wrap. I've certainly got plenty to sew without the denim.
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Hails from United States

Well one last doll coat and hat for the last day of the month. Sorry wasn't on here yesterday but it wasn't a good day so just stayed away from everything.

Debby, hope you get all your clothing made and you can get back in your own house by next week. It has to be hard staying with your Mom. You said your mom was writing all the time, what is she writing, a book?

Hi to Marge, Bonnie, Martha, Sigrun and all the others who come around.

#117   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Eva, what a stunning coat for the doll.

Yes, mom is writing a book. Actually, there are several books. She's always wanted to be a writer since she was old enough to know that there was such a thing. As children, my siblings and I not only got read the standard stories but stories mom had written. She has not had any of her fiction published and greatly desires to do so. It's on her "bucket list". She writing a spy novel right now. Last summer it was a YA murder mystery. There's at least 3 others in various states that she works on from time to time.

So, that corduroy jumper... it's now doing time out in the corner. I took out the side seam to sew it deeper because I'd made it too big. I hadn't done the facing yet, but wanted to slip it on and see if I'd made the right judgement on how much to sew off. I heard a tear as I was putting it on over my head. I figured since I had partially ripped out seams that one of them was going a bit further. No, no, not the seams, the fabric itself tore about 2 inches. I was so upset. I have figured out how to fix it, but have started the linen shirt to give it a rest. Then I'll go back to it. *sigh*
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast
Reykjavik

Hails from Iceland

Hi, hi
Eva what a beautiful coat agin !!

Debby I am so proud of you tackling the sewing technique in making clothes. I love that you make them do a time in the corner when they give you grieve Reading about the corduroy fabric tearing .. I immediately thought that the fabric was faulty. Could it have been from old stock However you soldier on bravely and with all our support only wish I could help you out a little. Well if you ever come over here we can have a play fabric day at the studio

Nothing going on over here except we are working very hard in marketing as we can not hire our agent yet. Need to sell more rugs first We will get there soon enough

Take care all
  #119   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2012, 02:21 PM
A Local Legend
Charleston South Carolina

Hails from United States

Hey, everyone. i'm way behind on y'all, but Eva the dolls are lovely and Sigrun all I can say is "WOW!" That being said, I just started the June stitch and is tells of tropical storm damage and seeks crafty ideas . . . see you there.

My Blog!