Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials Wanting to try encaustics – but as minimally as possible

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    briansommers

right now I’m painting acrylic/mixed media then cover it with cold wax and water-soluble oil paints and I like it except it takes a long time to dry.

Doesn’t encaustics dry as soon as the heat is off?

I’m wanting something that I can build up luxurious layers and dig back into them and then be done and dry.

I want to try them as minimally as possible. I’m a bit hesitant due to the fumes.

Couldn’t I just buy a stick or two of R&F or encaustiko stiks or something and just heat it up with my heat gun and draw with them? I don’t want to have to invest in a griddle and all the trimmings. I want to make sure I can handle it ok. and that it’s something I really want to get into.

Ciao!
        Brian Sommers
        My Blog

Bartc

Here’s a very different alternative that works brilliantly for many styles of painting: Ceracolors, a water-soluble cold wax paint. If you want to seal a layer permanently for glazing over or to finish off the whole work you hit it with a hair dryer. Otherwise it’s a paint medium that you use just like you would acrylics, oils or watercolros. And it can give you effects that look like all of those, plus even pastel appearance. It’s compleley soluble in water for clean up AND for opening the paint, so it’s easier than acrylics (I do that too, so I know). Look it up.

Bartc

Take a look at this page and go for the video of how it works. You’ll get the idea and realize just how incredibly versatile Ceracolors are!
                http://www.ceracolors.com/%5B/URL%5D

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.