Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Albert Einstein

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JMM

Hey Everyone!
        I have just completed a portrait sculpture in clay of Albert Einstein. It measures: 16.5″ H X 10″ W X 12″ D. Here are some photos of the clay:

JMM

ArtsyLynda

That’s a wonderful likeness! Well done!

JMM

Hey ArtsyLynda!
                Thanks so much for your response! It seems I was premature on presenting this………………my wife said his hair is too coiffed and in need of messing up. I don’t know if he ever had a good hair day! It’s back to the hair sculpting board!

JMM

ArtsyLynda

Hair is my best place for freedom and creativity when sculpting horses. I totally understand! Have fun with it!

Wow, that is so good!

Can’t wait to see what you do with the hair.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                    Find me on Instagram
                    Find me on Facebook

He looks great from every angle. Very pleasing smile and expression. Your wife is a good critic. Messy hair will be a challenge and fun to sculpt!:clap:

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                    [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Boafamily

Yup you nailed him.

Garland

Wow, nice work and i saw your subject likeness as soon as the page opened up.

One thing for sure in this life, once we get there, well here we are and now what?
                            My latest thread is
                            notta WIP, but a study and request for planning help

jonc50

Very nicely done. About the hair: He probably knew he would make this particular forum and wanted to look presentable.:wink2: :lol: :wave: :thumbsup:

JMM

HI VRMS!
                                    Sorry I didn’t respond to you and the others that have followed. Most of the time very few respond except ArtsyLynda and Sculpturedolls and after they responded I thought that was it! I worked on the hair and made it a little bit messier but did not much…….enough to have my wife tell me that looks better and so then I went to molding it. I am at the point of the final 1/2 of the mother mold and then I will start casting. Sorry I don’t have a pic to show. Thanks for dropping in and commenting!

Hey Boafamily and Garland!
                                    Thank you so much for your comments. They were very much appreciated!

Hey jonc50!
                                    How does one sculpt each hair on a guys head individually hair by hair? I think I found one picture of him when he was younger when he had his hair slicked back. The rest of the time there must have been static electricity buzzing the top of his head continuously! I got a kick out of your hair rationalization! Thanks so much!

Thanks all of you (including Sculpturedolls) for your wonderful comments!

JMM

ArtsyLynda

You asked about sculpting each hair individually (I know you were kidding, but I can tell you how to do it). It’s best to do hair in sections and then detail them. The best way to do that and get great movement is to sculpt from the END of the hair toward the scalp. That way you don’t get lost in the masses of hair.

For examples of human hair done in sections and then detailed, see Frederick Hart’s work. Here’s a page full of his work: https://tinyurl.com/ya9awdxh

The horse pictured in my bronze above was named Anton (he died at age 25, last year). He was best known for his hair and for passing the thickness, waviness and length on to his get (babies). (By the way, that’s not the right reason to choose a particular stallion to breed to your mare – he was also well-built, but most people couldn’t see past his hair.) His mane was 4 1/2 feet long and his forelock was 3 1/2 feet long. When he was led, the owner led the stallion while his wife carried his mane so it didn’t drag the ground. When he wasn’t being shown, it was kept up in braids.

In the photo I was given to use as the model for the sculpture, his mane had formed kind of a circular swirl on his hip. Trying to get that and his forelock to look right was a LOT of work.

Each leg being in a different stage of flight means the feathers on each leg were in a different position. For instance, the hind leg that has landed on the ground has the hair “splashing” up, while the front legs moving forward through the air have the hair more flattened against the hoof, depending on where they are in the stride.

By sculpting from the ends to the beginning of the hair in each section, you can add a lot of movement, show the direction the wind is blowing, show tracks where he’s just run his fingers through his hair, etc.

I know you’re molding him now, I’m just sharing this for you to consider with your next sculpture. Keep up the good work!

For those who wonder about such things, the sculpture of Anton is 21″ L x 7 7/8″ W x 16″ H.

Hi John, Your likeness of Albert is great. I think it’s super cute the idea that he combed his hair to be presentable for the forum or even for the sculpture that you made of him. You can always tell everyone that and they will get a kick out of it. :) It sounds like you gave him a little bit more pizazz to his hair since the pic your shared here.

It depends on what kind of clay you use for how you want to approach doing hair. With using waterbased clay like you have, my way of doing messy hair would be to use very moist workable clay (not stiff). Get your hands in there and start pulling and making shapes. Let the organicness of the clay show through with the way clay naturally will have texture. I would put a piece of unworked clay, just a glob of it and put it on the head and pull it outwards to represent one form and keep pulling until the tip is thinner than at the base.

Here is one example of how hair was rendered that was messy and not combed. This was sculpted in water based clay.

This is another example but I believe the sculptor used oil based clay.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                                        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

ArtsyLynda

Wow, the patina on that child’s face is luminous!!! Gorgeous! Both pieces are beautiful, but I’ve rarely seen skin rendered that well in bronze.

I didn’t think about the differences in clay. Yeah, I use plastilene. I believe Frederick Hart did too for most of his work, but he did the same kind of shapes in stone as well. I don’t know if I’ve seen any of his work in water-based clay.

JMM

Hey Sculpturedolls and ArtsyLynda,
                                                Thanks to both of you for the hair suggestions. I went ahead and modified the top of his head and my wife said that looked better then the “coiffed” look! The suggestions you both gave were very good and useful for future sculpts that I will be doing. I apologize for getting this post so late but I have been very busy with molding Einstein, Woody and Woody’s planter. I will be casting very soon and will post pics of the casting of Einstein produced from the mold and the mold I made for him.

JMM

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.