Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s On Your Easel, December 2016!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE December 2016…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

VickiB

Still have this on my easel, it’s been over a year now but I’ve managed to finish other projects in the mean time. Sorry haven’t participated for a long time after my father died.

Oils
            180 x 90cm approximately

Vicki that is an amazing painting.
            I’m sorry about your father. :grouphug:

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

surveyhand

Having fun with this ckeeky chappy, fron a photo by Russ Bridges.
                Blue Tit, oil on canvas, 16″ x 20″

Dan-007

ripsnorta

Surveyhand and Dan, those are both amazing.

Cheers, John :)

mtpalms

Welcome back VickiB! Beautiful surf. Very sorry to hear about your loss. :o
                            Great start, surveyhand, I can see you are enjoying it.
                            Dan, you are moving fast on this one!

I finished this one yesterday. I would have kept on it, but there is a deadline of the 15th to submit it. I am very happy with the skirt, it could have been a disaster.

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                            "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                            But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

12 x 16 from imagery found in the reference library. Wow, what a great resource!

mtpalms

:clap: Beautiful polar bear!

AnnieA

Vicky, it’s lovely! I’m also sorry to hear about your father – I know what you must be going though. Hang in there.

Surveyhand, Nice work! What an amazing-looking bird.

Dan, better and better!

Marcia, terrific job on the skirt – I can see why you were excited about it – it’s amazing!

Horse-artist – great job on the polar bear! I love the swirly colors.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                    [FONT=Palatino]
                                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

AnnieA

I’ve posted what I’m working on in the chat thread, but maybe I really should be posting it here instead. It’s not really ready for a thread of it’s own, but I could use the feedback. The new strategy is to work out problems beforehand, so that I can focus on brushwork while painting, and not have to make many revisions. Consequently, I have digital and oil paint color studies that show a few possible directions.

Here’s the ref:

The ref cropped from original photo, and then cropped again for the color/value/composition study for the painting, which looks somewhat like this:

Yes, I know it’s really messy looking, but this was ONLY a study to start to figure out the color/value/composition! The actual painting will not be so blob-like. :lol: Looking at it again, I think the rosy/peach areas of the sky need to be lighter and brighter. The photo doesn’t show the composition exactly, as there’s a tad more pavement showing at the bottom.

This painting will be quite a stretch for me since I haven’t really done that many landscapes, and a backlit scene like this will be challenging. But better to leap and potentially fail than be bored. :lol:

Here are some newer potential directions:

It was just to see what a lighter sky would do. I’m not sure it works with the darker pavement, and overall the color may be too saturated.

And this is the one I’m thinking I should go with:

I think the values work just right in the one above, although the foreground pavement may need still a little more color, and in fact, maybe it all does – just a tad.

I removed the foreground figure, and the two figures sitting on the wall. I’m still debating that. I think that made it less busy but maybe they provided interest, especially in the case of the foreground figure.

Your thoughts on these beginning studies would be appreciated…

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                        [FONT=Palatino]
                                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Hi everyone. Here is a piece that I am currently working on. It’s based off Davinci’s ‘Head of a woman’. Any comments / advice are more than welcome. Cheers, Simon. :)

ripsnorta

My first attempt at doing a fan portrait on A4 Canson oil paper. It was meant to be a quick 20 minute sketch, but I ended up spending about 50 minutes and adding more detail than I intended.

C&C welcome.

Cheers, John :)

mtpalms

Beautiful start, Simon, you could stop there, and have a lovely piece.

John, that is a great piece for 50 minutes. My only critique is that the head is narrow, otherwise the proportions look very good. Since it is a straight on shot, if you use one of the eyes as a measurement, measure how many would fit across in the ref photo, and how many in the painting.

Thank you so much mtpalms. I reckon I will stop there. I don’t want to fiddle with it too much and possibly make it muddy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.