WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:30 PM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States
Silverpoint

I stopped using pencil for my underpainting at the advice of some who know MUCH better than I. It will come back as you paint and cut through to the surface. I am not a sharpener and charcoal was making too dark lines so I got a silverpoint tool. I do like the lightness of the line and it works excellentlly on a gessoed surface, so I thought I would try this on a prepared hard board I had from the cheapo art store.
Unfortunately, I think I got a lot of finger grease around the edges and I may try again with a REAL gesso for the tooth, but this is from a photo of the model in my Leveille class.

We always tip a model when we take a photo. They are paid to sit for us for three hours and if we carry their image home afterward, we do owe them something for the use of their face! I am a rotten tipper. I try not to snap them unless they are a friend or I need the reference for something later but I feel like I should USE the photo, whether I work on the same piece or not later.

This face has now been rendered in four media. The pastel and two not the best watercolors from this week in class, an oil from before:

Now I have her drawn. It is great fun to explore ONE face and see how many ways it changes from second to second and material to material.
dj*
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States
Re: Silverpoint

DJ - I feel dumb asking you this, but why don't you use colored pencils to draw your underpainting? I use one in the brown family and have never had any problems with it. It just kind of disolves as you paint. BTW, your art is out of this world wonderful. Sandra
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 06:22 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Not dumb! When I do the underdrawing, I transfer it with a sheet I make by dissolving charcoal scrubbed on a piece of heavy tracing paper with lighter fluid... or whatever.
The charcoal can be light, but the graphite sheets I used to use, left... graphite.
When I redraw in silverpoint, I can erase all of the dusty charcoal and have clean clear but light lines without the smudge or dark migrating up. Colored pencil or whatever is fine! I just sort of make a coloring book outline in order to keep the canvas as clean as I can since I will do plenty of messing it up when I start to paint!
dj*
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Ituiutaba-MG (interior of Brazil)

Hails from Brazil

Hi DJ,

have you ever tried fabric markers (kind of pen)?
Works great for rough outlines - which is all you need when painting portraits - and you can choose the color you want. For example, orange is good when you'll paint warm flesh tones and don't want a disturbing dark cold color in the bottom of your layers, etc.
I usually draw with pencil directly on the white canvas, outline with the fabric marker and then wash out with oil & turp. Only the fabric marker ink will remain and it never mixes with anything on top.

Best,

Ant
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

I often transfer using conte; same method as with graphite or charcoal. Use sepia or sanguine -- which ever you prefer, or that works for the piece you're doing. I could also get more detail in the rough sketch outlines (from the transfer) by going over it with a brush of pigment and medium (oil or acrylics, whichever I'm using), and once it's dry, get rid of the extra transfered conte if you want (with acylics, I'd just wash it off with water).

dj, I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Lauren
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I have been on it all day and think I am done... or maybe will need daylight to see it fresh.

It is addictive. I am loving the heck out of it. Playing with such a limited tonal range but it doesn't seem to stop beckoning me!

Quite fun!
dj*
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:37 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Lovely drawing. I have been intrigued by silverpoint and your drawing makes me want to get on with having a go!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:41 AM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Gorgeous work dj*. It doesn't matter which medium you work in, your paintings/drawings are always top shelf.

Val.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2006, 08:56 AM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi, dj,

Lookin' good! I'm a bit confused, though. Are you doing this silverpoint drawing as an under-drawing for a painting, or will it be finished as a drawing? I have never done silverpoint, but am getting more interested, esp. with this demonstration. Also -- they age as the silver tarnishes, so the drawing will be stronger then, won't it?

My one concern -- as I haven't seen the reference photo, I'm only going by the drawing -- is her pupils. Her left eye has more pupil showing; the eye appears a tad bit more open.

Cheers, Lauren
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
florida

Hails from United States

wow very nice picture even with the limited tonal value you have great depth
and its a great soft looking portrait
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2006, 12:05 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

These are my first attempts with the medium. I use it already for the underdrawing in my canvases, which is the reason I mentioned it, but I have started exploring it as a drawing form. Because it is much more time intensive than my regular stuff, and that it is made of precious metals, I am serious about using it for my portrait drawings. It has a very elegant look.

That was on one of those shrink wrapped surfaced hard board from the art supply. I mixed up some of StudioProducts.com prepared gesso (you do equal parts water and mix, let it set to gel then warm it up to paint) and made this surface with only one layer of pretty thin stuff, and lots of brush strokes showing. I should think that three layers with a fine sanding would produce a very elegant eggshell surface. I am going to order their silverpoint grounds when I get a little money, as they come with very slight tints. I can see that the first piece which was on a very grayed ground was dead and cold, but I liked the contrast. A little beige or even pink would make for very elegant surfaces!

Okay here is my second attempt.

because of the surface I didn't work it as hard. I am going to see if I can drum up a wedding couple for a try at a double portrait and see how it works on the watercolor paper, with a better prep.

I have seen platinum and gold point done on black superfine sandpaper. I am very excited about this whole idea and want to understand it a little better before I throw myself up and offer it as a portrait style.
dj*